PDA

View Full Version : Something special...

KPH
April 23rd, 2016, 10:46 PM
We decided when we were down in FL that we wanted to move there to be closer to the kids and grands. Anyway, we came home and for the past week we've been cleaning out and deciding what to keep.

My Grandmother Mac, bless her heart, labeled everything. Mom packed everything carefully away and I have memories of Grandma telling me about a lot of the things we're finding.

There are a couple of things I'd love to do something with, but I'm at a loss right now as to what. So I'll throw out the question to the forum and be as creative as you wish...

1. My Grandmother kept her lace wedding blouse and my Grandpa's wedding shirt. They both wore navy suits, none of that material is here.

2. There is a baby bonnet that my Grandmother wore as a young toddler. There are some rips and bad spots in the material.

3. Aunt Edith brought Grandmother a piece of lacy material. It's been stored flat and is really in great shape considering it was given to her before 1929. It's kind of like a small doilie.

4. There are several handkerchiefs, most have bad spots, but parts still look nice.

Okay, there you go. I know I'm not going to have a lot of time to work on any projects for a while, but getting those creative juices flowing and hearing what you've done with family heirlooms is going to be great fun!

LauraP
April 23rd, 2016, 10:55 PM
check with the museums where your Grandparents were married. They might appreciate the blouses. I don't know with the rest of it.

SuzyQue
April 23rd, 2016, 11:12 PM
If you are willing to change the items.......you could make a table runner of the various laces and fabrics. If you have enough, you could make one for each of the next generations. Sounds like most of the pieces are damaged. I have seen some very pretty table runners made of a variet of doilies and old linens.

Hulamoon
April 23rd, 2016, 11:19 PM
I think I would make a shadow box.

oldsewer
April 24th, 2016, 12:11 AM
Some years ago, I took doilies made by my ancestors, mounted them to linen fabric (by hand) and had them framed, and gave as gifts to family members. I have one hanging in my living room. Wonderful art with a story too. This would work for handkerchiefs, and the lace. For the wedding items, when you have time to do so, I would check with a conservator and simply preserve them for storage for future generations to see. I would definitely not cut them up or change or repair them. Just my opinion. Sharon

WendyI
April 25th, 2016, 10:46 AM
I really like the idea of framing the bonnet and the rest. Not sure about the blouses...the museum idea sounds interesting for sure.