PDA

View Full Version : Goose Watch 2016 - yes this is a thing!

WendyI
April 21st, 2016, 10:59 AM
So this really is a thing at my work (I work at a major Canadian University). Canada Geese are protected here and they LOVE our campus. There is so much goose poop around that we sometimes refer to it as Poo U!

This is a link to the map and a tool to select a route around the nest sites depending upon your comfort level with geese! LOL! :lol:

Goose Watch '16 (http://goose-watch.uwaterloo.ca/)

Jean Sewing Machine
April 21st, 2016, 11:07 AM
We had many Canada geese on the college campus where I worked. They were territorial, messy, aggressive beasts and would attack the students as they went to class! Mainly because they chose their nesting sites in the gardens near the walkways. They cannot be harmed, but can be controlled by oiling the eggs so they don't mature and hatch. One day a professor caught one mid flight as the goose swooped down on the students! No peaceful coexistence for the geese, they claimed the campus as their own!

thimble
April 21st, 2016, 12:10 PM
So this really is a thing at my work (I work at a major Canadian University). Canada Geese are protected here and they LOVE our campus. There is so much goose poop around that we sometimes refer to it as Poo U!

This is a link to the map and a tool to select a route around the nest sites depending upon your comfort level with geese! LOL! :lol:

Goose Watch '16 (http://goose-watch.uwaterloo.ca/)

Thank you for the link!

WendyI
April 21st, 2016, 12:46 PM
We had many Canada geese on the college campus where I worked. They were territorial, messy, aggressive beasts and would attack the students as they went to class! Mainly because they chose their nesting sites in the gardens near the walkways. They cannot be harmed, but can be controlled by oiling the eggs so they don't mature and hatch. One day a professor caught one mid flight as the goose swooped down on the students! No peaceful coexistence for the geese, they claimed the campus as their own!

Yes, they are quite aggressive when nesting to be sure. I personally have never had a problem but then I'm not afraid of them in the least so I think they know that. I did have one attack my car once. Stupid thing had a wifey who nested right next to the gate to enter the parking lot! The University does have a license to oil the eggs which does make me a little sad. We have a pair that nest next to our entryway to my building every year and we used to like seeing the babies hanging around after they hatched....and this particular set of parents weren't aggressive at all. We have had several students attacked though and one building on campus they had to actually cordon off an entryway to a building and people had to walk around the building to gain access because the birds had nested above the doorway!

rebeccas-sewing
April 21st, 2016, 01:09 PM
Interesting! I'm glad the birds around here are not aggressive toward me when I'm in my yard. We have so many babies being born in our yard every year. They love the tiles on the corners of our roof since they can get up in there and build their nests. More secure than nesting in a tree. I think I showed you the baby birds in the fruit cage under our eaves by the kitchen window. It's so funny to watch mama bird swoop in to check on them. They have found their little voices. Every time she appears they begin to chirp like crazy. I guess they want her to feed them pronto! They grow so fast. Here's a photo of the babies. It might be hard to make them out but there are still four in the nest. They're sleeping soundly until mama comes again to give them another meal. She's very attentive. She comes back to check on them often.

WendyI
April 21st, 2016, 01:43 PM
This is one of the things I miss about my house. I had a nest of house finches that used to come back to a cedar tree in my front yard every year. Then in the back there was always a nest of Robins. I also had a goldfinch feeder that was always crowded with the wee yellow birds. Had a cardinal family as well that used to visit often as well as humming birds. I do have a large tree outside by my deck...but not quite close enough for me to hang a feeder in. Going to try and put some out on my railings this year tho. Sadly I forgot to bring my finch feeder when I moved so will have to purchase another one.

Iris Girl
April 21st, 2016, 03:04 PM
here we dislike the geese alot. They are nasty critters, they roam eat and poop. Your yard can't be walked in neither can the road. We have to check our shoes and feet every time we go out so we don't bring goose poop in the house. I put fencing around the back...they are kinda like the roomba vacuum, if they bump into something they turn and keep going. Unfortunately we can't fence the front so they still get in up there.

Midge
April 21st, 2016, 03:19 PM
LOL, Wendy, no wonder they put out a map! That's quite a dense population on your campus. Hope everyone wears shoes that can be hosed off to school/work! I'm a bit hesitant to mention this, but since your country lays claim to these messy birds via their name, I think it is only fair that you have to deal with the biggest share of the nasty, slippery green stuff and the territoriality! :icon_rofl::icon_rofl:

Lots of nesting going on. Sadly squirrels knocked a robin's nest out of my next door neighbor's tree. Eggs splatted on the sidewalk this morning. Naturally the dog was very interested in this wreckage, but he is good about 'Leave it!'. Have to be as an urban dog....

Yes to feeders! They make me happy.

asta
April 21st, 2016, 04:38 PM
I hate to say this but.....Goose breast makes a delicious sandwich. When my Dad was still around I would hunt with him, it was a big treat to have goose breast sandwiches.

WendyI
April 21st, 2016, 04:50 PM
I hate to say this but.....Goose breast makes a delicious sandwich. When my Dad was still around I would hunt with him, it was a big treat to have goose breast sandwiches.

LOL! I can imagine. Sadly they are a protected species here for some **** reason! If you hit one with your car and it's proven to not be an accident, you can be fined up to five grand! I like the geese and the fact that they mate for life is endearing...but yah the poop is nasty! So many green spaces on campus and they're all littered with poop!

Midge, we definitely deal with a lot of them on campus! They are so LOUD this time of year as well...and there is a pair nesting right outside my office window this year. they get so loud when other geese come into their territory!

Lyndaj
April 21st, 2016, 07:26 PM
The local running trail we use is commonly known as Goose S**t Pond for that very reason, especially in the spring.

redcaboose1717
April 21st, 2016, 07:32 PM
We have a lot of Canadian Geese here where I live. Normally every year a mated pair have their young near a lake about 1/2 mile from my home. You have to be really careful because they cross the road occasionally.
A few years back, we lived near a park that there was a lone goose( male ) and he was going around trying to attack everyone. My dad thought maybe he had lost his mate.....After a year or two that goose was taken somewhere else, and we never seen it again. He would hiss and fly at people to the point there was a lot of complaints......

MRoy
April 21st, 2016, 07:59 PM
There are Canadian geese on two farms near us and they used to land on our fishing pond and tried to nest there until I broke up the nests and threw the eggs in the pond. I don't like them at all!

SallyO'Sews
April 21st, 2016, 08:41 PM
Thanks so much, Wendy! I live in Connecticut, where we have way too many Canada Geese. Some of them "forget" to go home in the spring. So now I'll just hand out copies of your map and point them north! :D

Lyndaj
April 21st, 2016, 09:51 PM
Thanks so much, Wendy! I live in Connecticut, where we have way too many Canada Geese. Some of them "forget" to go home in the spring. So now I'll just hand out copies of your map and point them north! :D

LOL ROFL :D

JCY
April 21st, 2016, 10:03 PM
Plenty of geese in our town, too. We have quite a few area lakes & ponds, so there is plenty of water for them. All birds, not just the geese, are protected here. Lots of bird watchers & counters in this area, too. The city has an osprey cam set up to watch the ospreys who return to the same location every year. Some baby ducklings in the Denver area recently had to be rescued from a storm drain, then mom & babies waddled away.

Hulamoon
April 21st, 2016, 10:17 PM
No geese here, but we did have three peacocks hanging in the yard and perching on the railings. Talk about poop!

Midge
April 21st, 2016, 11:55 PM
Lorie, the peacock cries are even worse than the poop! When I lived in the country neighbors had a wandering peacock and in warm weather he liked to visit.

tamsterg7
April 22nd, 2016, 12:08 AM
OK - I know I am in the minority here - but I LOVE Canadian geese, and ducks too! We have a private girls school across the road from us and a large pond that I can see right out my kitchen window. I love when they arrive, even though there is loads of poop when I walk over to feed them. They do guard their territory, and can honk loud, but they are oh so majestic when they fly in formation and so serene when they are floating on the pond.

When it rains hard they we get some standing water in our side yard, and they cross the road to it. It's a busy road and several times there have been close calls. I try to shoosh them back to the pond, but I'm not sure they get it, as they usually go the other way. Sorry to be the odd ball, but I do like them!

Hulamoon
April 22nd, 2016, 12:17 AM
Lorie, the peacock cries are even worse than the poop! When I lived in the country neighbors had a wandering peacock and in warm weather he liked to visit.

One lady in the neighborhood,I don't think it was my street, got so sick of them that she killed one. She got arrested for animal cruelty. Iv'e lived in areas where people poisoned cats and dogs. I can't believe people can hate so much.

stationarymom
April 22nd, 2016, 02:16 AM
We get a lot of Geese around here. They seem to stop and rest from their flight and always end up on our soccer and football fields,so the recreation dept. made wood coyotes and put them in the fields and the geese don't land when they're out.

WendyI
April 22nd, 2016, 10:05 AM
One lady in the neighborhood,I don't think it was my street, got so sick of them that she killed one. She got arrested for animal cruelty. Iv'e lived in areas where people poisoned cats and dogs. I can't believe people can hate so much.

That's HORRIFYING!! How can people be so cruel? It never ceases to amaze and disappoint me. :'(

irishrn
April 24th, 2016, 12:03 AM
Hey Wendy, your story had me laughing. We have a lot of geese here too. And often see/hear them overhead with their noisy squawks. But truth be told I do like them.
On the campus where I worked, the hospital staff put out fake foxes all around the pond. That worked for about 2 weeks. There were several bold males that would challenge the staff walking between buildings and the parking lot, but even more they'd challenge the cars coming and going. We were told to avoid them, be respectful of their nesting sites and call security if we had any personal encounters! When one large male decided to hold up both lanes of traffic one day. The driver decided to inch his way along. Well, the dent in his car proved to be the result of that encounter. The bird didn't look phased a bit!
Isn't Mother Nature wonderful!