PDA

View Full Version : Flash floods and Tornadoes - more prayers for Houston needed

bhaggerty
April 20th, 2016, 10:09 AM
Difficult week here! Schools have been cancelled all week due to flash floods and tornados. We are OK, but many around here are not. Some of the people I work with are trapped in their homes due to high water and have no power/electricity. There are also still people missing. A large bridge (Tomball area) was washed away with at least one pickup on it and is missing (yesterday) due to post storm swell, other bridges are out and a local high school had its roof torn off by a tornado and is flooded as well.
A local horse farm just a few miles from my house had flash flooding and they were able to rescue over 80 of the horses, but at least 10 of them drowned.
http://www.khou.com/news/local/rescuers-help-drowning-horses-on-cypresswood/141305633

Carlie Wolf
April 20th, 2016, 10:25 AM
I saw some of those pictures on the net. Awful. I'm so sorry for all those people. My prayers are with you.

Shirley
April 20th, 2016, 11:17 AM
I'm so sorry. These pictures are devastating. Please stay safe.

cv quilter
April 20th, 2016, 11:32 AM
Horrible and frightening. I pray that all in danger will be alright and am so sorry for the devastation you are all facing. So very sad about the loss of the horses. Please stay safe.

mario1360
April 20th, 2016, 11:34 AM
nature can be cruel...be strong.

KarenC
April 20th, 2016, 01:28 PM
Glad to hear that you are safe and dry. I am safe also, a bit inconvenienced, but that is nothing compared to so many others. From watching the news, I'm afraid it has likely affected my LQS. Praying for all the others who are not so fortunate.

WendyI
April 20th, 2016, 01:38 PM
I saw this on the news! So frightening! How does this happen in the first place? Isn't there water management /control there? Those poor people and horses. :( I'm glad you and your family are safe. Hope it settles down soon and your coworkers can get out of their homes and everyone else stays safe! xoxo

auntiemern
April 20th, 2016, 01:49 PM
So sad. I have a friend that is flooded there. It is very sad what they are going through. We went through it with my parents in '82.

snippet
April 20th, 2016, 01:52 PM
It is crazy and I feel for the people around Houston.

bhaggerty
April 20th, 2016, 04:00 PM
Glad to hear that you are safe and dry. I am safe also, a bit inconvenienced, but that is nothing compared to so many others. From watching the news, I'm afraid it has likely affected my LQS. Praying for all the others who are not so fortunate.

Which one? Hopefully not Quiltfrog/Texas Quilt Machines!!

redcaboose1717
April 20th, 2016, 04:03 PM
How awful.......prayer for those who are going thru this.

Midge
April 20th, 2016, 04:16 PM
I saw this on the news! So frightening! How does this happen in the first place? Isn't there water management /control there? Those poor people and horses. :( I'm glad you and your family are safe. Hope it settles down soon and your coworkers can get out of their homes and everyone else stays safe! xoxo

I don't think it is a matter of poor storm water controls, although people local to Houston I'm sure are aware of any shortcomings. It's really a historic rainstorm with some parts of Houston getting about 18 inches of rain when the storms hit on Sunday. It's no wonder that there has been loss of life. Certainly the property damages are going to be extremely high.

KarenC
April 20th, 2016, 04:33 PM
Which one? Hopefully not Quiltfrog/Texas Quilt Machines!!

Bernadette, Actually the shop is ok, and they are open. I just chatted with Tom earlier today. A little water in the house, but the shop is open. I was worried when seeing all the water at Hardy and Cypresswood, but I guess we can still go shopping!

ceiliam
April 20th, 2016, 08:38 PM
Prayers for all my niece is in Katey and finally able today to get out of her subdivision today, she put quite a few pictures on her Facebook so thankful that she and family are OK.

bhaggerty
April 21st, 2016, 10:11 AM

They have spent enormous sums of money on storm and water control over the years. It is just location, climate and that Houston is below sea level.

WendyI
April 21st, 2016, 10:54 AM
I don't think it is a matter of poor storm water controls, although people local to Houston I'm sure are aware of any shortcomings. It's really a historic rainstorm with some parts of Houston getting about 18 inches of rain when the storms hit on Sunday. It's no wonder that there has been loss of life. Certainly the property damages are going to be extremely high.

They have spent enormous sums of money on storm and water control over the years. It is just location, climate and that Houston is below sea level.

It's so interesting to me the amount of different weather disasters that happen in the US but rarely in Canada and yet we are neighbours. It's so sad for me to see and I always want to just up and go help but I know I would end up just being in the way. I always feel so helpless seeing people suffering with this kind of thing. Sending lots of love down there! Hoping it stops soon!! xox

bhaggerty
April 22nd, 2016, 01:03 AM
winds and storms coming in from the ocean are often the culprits. I think they dissipate by the time they get that far north. The islands south of the US get it even worse.
Paradise comes at a price in those coastal areas