PDA

View Full Version : Whoever said Labs were stupid

Pandabear
April 15th, 2016, 09:24 PM
Never met my youngest one. In his first year of being, he learned how to use the ice machine in the fridge door. His second year.... Tries to unlock said ice machine, but hasn't been successful. Yet.

Also, that if he wants something one of my other dogs has, he need only to find his squeaky football then sit beside them squeaking it until they can't take it anymore and drops what he wants.

This year.... Learned to use his nose to push the cabinet turnstile open so he can lick the outside of the peanut butter jar.

He amuses me and frustrates me at the same time.

BellasQuilts
April 15th, 2016, 10:30 PM
I love my labs too. Our new gal, Lucy, has learned to bring her cohort's Kong toy to me because I always give Darcy a treat in it. Lucy doesn't want a treat in a Kong, she just figured out that Kongs get you treats!

Pandabear
April 15th, 2016, 11:04 PM
I love my labs too. Our new gal, Lucy, has learned to bring her cohort's Kong toy to me because I always give Darcy a treat in it. Lucy doesn't want a treat in a Kong, she just figured out that Kongs get you treats!

That's too funny. Mine chewed through a Kong so I don't buy them anymore.

Splinter
April 15th, 2016, 11:57 PM
Thank you for the laugh tonight.

Hulamoon
April 16th, 2016, 12:27 AM
Funny. I have a cat that can open the screen door. Talk about determination.

That's a sliding screen door. lol

CraftHer
April 16th, 2016, 01:04 AM
We have always said that our lab is "too smart for our own good". So far, he hasn't learned to operate the ice machine, but it wouldn't surprise me. We've taught Mocha (chocolate lab) to sit before treats (yes, ice is a treat, too). The ice machine was broken and the repair man came. I put Mocha behind the gate but he could still see into the kitchen. Whenever the repair man pushed for the ice, Mocha would sit. I pointed this out and the repair man said "smart dog" and threw him a piece of ice.

He'll lay by my chair when I quilt. The other day, he was covered in threads and scraps. I thought, if I ever have a quilt shop, I'm going to call it "The Quilted Dog".

redcaboose1717
April 16th, 2016, 01:13 AM
My parents had an Airdale /Wired Haired Terrier mix that was smart like that......It was amazing the things she did. We camped all summer long as children, and the kids who camped at the same park were delighted when they found out that our dog "Raggs" could swim under water!!! The kids would get rocks and mark them with paint or nail polish,and then come to our campsite to coax "Raggs" down to the beach ! Of course she wasn't allowed in the swimming area,and she knew that.When she would bark from being so excited at the beach, my dad would go down to the beach to get her, with leash in hand and as soon as she heard him call her name, she hung her head, SHE KNEW she was in trouble ! My dad would put the leash on her, and say "Well, you know what's going to happen. Bad girls have to be tied up". Raggs was so smart. My dad would walk her around our campsite the first day we set up camp and say to Raggs " This is your campsite. Don't leave it." For the most part, she would behave..... Poor Raggs, she just couldn't stand the temptation of being asked to go swimming/diving for rocks though !

It's amazing how smart a lot of dogs are.....Raggs knew a lot of things ( she also loved to steal beer cans that someone had "just" opened. She would quietly take the can outside, and drink the beer until she was caught !

I would love to see a video of your dog using the ice machine ! That's amazing !

bubba
April 16th, 2016, 01:22 AM
We are not allowed to use our daughters ice machine in front of her dog!!! She's already tried it more than once.

Yoda has figured out the doorknob opens the back door and jumps up and down in front of it, thinking if he touches it with his paw will open it. Cracks me up!

ilive2craft2
April 16th, 2016, 01:23 AM
I am glad that our golden was older when we got the refrigerator with ice in the door otherwise I am sure he would be helping himself to ice all day long. He comes running from anywhere in the house when he hears someone start to get ice.

He takes meds for a bad knee mid day - we bought an automatic feeder so that he gets it on time. We still fill it on the weekends and have noticed that he lays down next to the machine about 5 minutes before it goes off. It starts its whirring noise and he gets up. He has eaten his treat with the meds in it before the thing has played the recording of us telling him to come get his treat.

We had a beagle who would open the kitchen cabinet under the sink to get to the garbage. We installed those cabinet locks meant for kids and they worked for awhile - she figured out how to open those locks - bought a different brand and stumped her again.

baskets4deb
April 16th, 2016, 01:42 AM
The smartest dog I ever had was a black lab.

Snip Snip
April 16th, 2016, 07:45 AM
Love reading about all your smart dogs!

mommadeb
April 16th, 2016, 08:12 AM
We had a lab that was clever too although she could be destructive. She was like Houdini and could get out of anything. She figured out the latch on her kennel after not too long. She even figured out how to get out of the house in the summer without using the door. Yep, she would jump through a first floor window and take the screen with her every time. Always the same window. We never shut it as we were afraid she would go through the glass. Never could train her not to do it. She was very stubborn.

Bubby
April 16th, 2016, 08:14 AM
Labs are one of the smartest breeds of dogs. We had a lab in our neighborhood that could ring the doorbell and even open the front door and let himself in.

quiltsRfun
April 16th, 2016, 10:46 AM
He takes meds for a bad knee mid day - we bought an automatic feeder so that he gets it on time. We still fill it on the weekends and have noticed that he lays down next to the machine about 5 minutes before it goes off. It starts its whirring noise and he gets up. He has eaten his treat with the meds in it before the thing has played the recording of us telling him to come get his treat.

We had a beagle who would open the kitchen cabinet under the sink to get to the garbage. We installed those cabinet locks meant for kids and they worked for awhile - she figured out how to open those locks - bought a different brand and stumped her again.

We had an automatic feeder for our beagle. She figured out how to break into it and help herself so we had to quit using it. Same dog opened the cabinet, got out a bottle of spaghetti sauce, pried off the lid and ate all the sauce. She also broke into the pantry and ate half a bag of pancake mix. And once she managed to get the refrigerator door open and cleaned out the two bottom shelves. Beagles score low on lists of dog intelligence but you'll never convince me that they're not smart.

Hulamoon
April 16th, 2016, 10:56 AM
We had an automatic feeder for our beagle. She figured out how to break into it and help herself so we had to quit using it. Same dog opened the cabinet, got out a bottle of spaghetti sauce, pried off the lid and ate all the sauce. She also broke into the pantry and ate half a bag of pancake mix. And once she managed to get the refrigerator door open and cleaned out the two bottom shelves. Beagles score low on lists of dog intelligence but you'll never convince me that they're not smart.

Wow, I can't even open a spaghetti jar without a jar opener. That's some strong jaws!

JCY
April 16th, 2016, 10:56 AM
Our previous neighbors had golden retrievers. They were very smart, too. They were able to open the latch on the outside kennel. They also figured out how to open the sliding glass patio door & escape.

Pandabear
April 16th, 2016, 11:01 AM
I love all the dog stories.

Tiberius knows when the ice machine is locked or not just by the sound the fridge makes when he pushes the lever. If it's locked he only needs to hold the lever down for a few seconds then leave. He knows that if he comes back into the kitchen in about 5 minutes the ice that fell but couldn't come out of the opening will have melted enough to slide out if he hit the lever again.

My other two labs are smart, but don't use there powers for evil, unlike Tiberius.

This morning Tiberius was caught trying to work the garbage can. Because of one of our other labs constantly lifting the garbage lid to sneak trash, we bought a steel can with the lid that is split down the middle and opens when you step on the foot pedal. So step on the pedal, the two sides open upwards then slowly close.

This has made it so no more dogs in the garbage. Yay!

Except Tiberius must have been watching while we weren't noticing and we saw him trying to step on the foot pedal. Luckily he hasn't opened it yet.

alliek
April 16th, 2016, 01:03 PM
Thanks for the smile today all! I love the "pet" stories and deeds and misdeeds! God Bless all our "furry" angels that make us laugh,fume,but most of all love.

lmanna
April 16th, 2016, 01:37 PM
LOL - I swear dogs can make the smartest human feel unintelligent. My mixed breed dog, Sophie, amazes me all the time especially in regards to knowing which day of the week it is.

1) I run with Sophie almost every morning around my neighborhood. In order to make things less boring for us I change up the route. Every Monday we go one way, every Tuesday another way, etc. Sophie knows the routine and knows which way to go depending on which day it is. One day recently I really thought it was a Tuesday. When we went out for our run Sophie was pulling me towards the Thursday route - and I mean PULLING. I figured there was something interesting smelling that way and decided we could stray from the routine. When I got back in from my run and was telling my hubby about it - he said "Uh...today IS Thursday"

2) Sophie goes to doggie daycare on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays and LOVES IT. On those daycare days, after we come back from our run she eats breakfast and hangs out by the door to the garage as if to say - No one leaves this house without me because today is my day to go play. On non-daycare days after we come back from our run she eats breakfast and goes back upstairs to bed.

3) And one funny story on how it is believed Sophie and a siberian husky teamed up at daycare to get what they wanted-extra food. Every day at daycare when it's feeding time the dog wranglers walk the same path next to a sofa carrying bowls of dog food over to the feeding area.

A couple of days before "the event" they noticed Sophie and a siberian husky started hanging out together and sitting on the arm/back of this sofa as they walked by with the bowls of food. No big deal - the dogs are allowed on the sofa and hey look - new best friends...what could be better? Well, one day at feeding time as the dog wranglers were walking by, the husky jumped off the sofa in front of the wranglers and basically tripped them. As they were juggling the food bowls, Sophie swatted at the bowls from the arm/back of the sofa and knocked the bowls of food all over the floor. Needless to say the dogs got a little bit of extra food that day :-) The wranglers said it seemed so perfectly orchestrated and quick that they were a bit in shock. Now whenever they see Sophie and this particular siberian husky spending quality time together they suspect the two of them are plotting a new adventure.

Midge
April 16th, 2016, 03:06 PM
Pandabear, funny you mention the step on trash can. I had one of those SimpleHuman steel cans in the kitchen, but I gave it away because Tucker figured out how to open it and then help himself to the contents. Guess I am lucky my fridge has no icemaker. My departed but still mourned English Springer Spaniel Bo thought his job was clearing our property of any other creature who wandered onto it. He left the birds alone at the feeders, but anything else, watch out. He had his favorite spot on the window seat to keep watch. If he spotted trespassing critters he would run to the door and open both the inner door and the screen door so he could take off and chase them away. We lived very near a river, and literally herds of deer would walk past our house at dusk on their way to get a drink. That was not a good thing in Bo's view. He was a great dog with very strong hunting instincts, but so sweet and loving.

mommadeb
April 16th, 2016, 03:21 PM
I also had an Aussie that was very clever. My daughter moved and took her and they were living with my sister in Minnesota. Bindi didn't like the fact that one of my sister's cats was eating her food and drinking her water. So, to repay the sinfulness of the cat, Bindi started using the cat's litterbox on a regular basis. I never saw anything so funny in my life. I actually saw her do it. She stood outside it and squatted over the edge and let it fly.

The cats probably didn't like the fact that Bindi didn't cover it up though...

Pandabear
April 16th, 2016, 04:55 PM
I also had an Aussie that was very clever. My daughter moved and took her and they were living with my sister in Minnesota. Bindi didn't like the fact that one of my sister's cats was eating her food and drinking her water. So, to repay the sinfulness of the cat, Bindi started using the cat's litterbox on a regular basis. I never saw anything so funny in my life. I actually saw her do it. She stood outside it and squatted over the edge and let it fly.

The cats probably didn't like the fact that Bindi didn't cover it up though...

That. Is. Awesome.

Pandabear
April 16th, 2016, 05:00 PM
Pandabear, funny you mention the step on trash can. I had one of those SimpleHuman steel cans in the kitchen, but I gave it away because Tucker figured out how to open it and then help himself to the contents. Guess I am lucky my fridge has no icemaker. My departed but still mourned English Springer Spaniel Bo thought his job was clearing our property of any other creature who wandered onto it. He left the birds alone at the feeders, but anything else, watch out. He had his favorite spot on the window seat to keep watch. If he spotted trespassing critters he would run to the door and open both the inner door and the screen door so he could take off and chase them away. We lived very near a river, and literally herds of deer would walk past our house at dusk on their way to get a drink. That was not a good thing in Bo's view. He was a great dog with very strong hunting instincts, but so sweet and loving.

That's exactly the garbage can I have, SimplyHuman. I just know Ty will learn and help Max into the garbage.

We have loads of deer so lots for the dogs to chase. The rabbits wised up and stay away. We get the occasional tortoise that our chocolate lab thinks is a tennis ball and brings to us to throw. Those little guys get rescued and put outside the fence.

We recently had a mated pair of turkey vultures move into the trees in our neighbor's yard. The dogs are not fond of them and bark whenever the birds are walking around.

ceiliam
April 16th, 2016, 05:27 PM
To funny, my Boston loves to use the litterbox, lucky I have 2 letterboxes from when I had 2 cats. Had to put one down a couple years ago. Petey , the dog grooms the car, and knows my cats not allowed outside, leave the door open to back yard, and if the cat trys to go out the dog chases him back in. I love the little rat however I need to get a can in kitchen for garbage as the thinks it's a game to get something out of the garbage can and run

Pandabear
April 17th, 2016, 05:58 PM
Tiberius did it to me again. I went grocery shopping this afternoon. At home I was putting things away and placed a 5lb bag of flour on the floor of the pantry. I didn't close the door since I was still putting things in the pantry. I turned to grab a few boxes and when I tuned back around Ty had dragged my flour out of the pantry and into the middle of the floor. Seriously, a bag of flour silly dog! I don't know what he was planning to do with it but I had to banish him out of the kitchen while I completed my task.

Simply Quilting
April 17th, 2016, 07:13 PM
The other day, DH and I decided to go out on a lunch date. We stopped by Burger King to grab lunch then needed to run in another place to talk to a guy real quick. DH had put the BK sack under my bag in the floor of the passenger seat. While we were gone, our border collie/lab, got the bag out, opened, removed the two sandwiches one at a time and carefully unwrapped my Whopper which I had not touched yet. Then unwrapped and ate the remaining 1/2 Whopper that DH had not finished. She was a very happy camper when we got back in the truck. I was not because there was not time to go get anything else to eat before my meeting.

laura44
April 17th, 2016, 10:19 PM
Ha ha, all the stories are too funny. My dachshund is not the brightest
dog but when we rescued her 12 years ago she was starving. She managed
to pry open the latched cupboard and ate 1 1/2 bags of dry barley. Yes, vet
visit followed. We tried crate training and she would either escape by pushing the
door open or by pulling the door in. Now at 16 she just sleeps all day.

Cool Breeze Quilter
April 18th, 2016, 06:25 PM
Labs are such sweet and beautiful dogs! Smart too.