PDA

View Full Version : Patio end table

HandsomeRyan
April 14th, 2016, 08:30 AM
So I still haven't gotten any sewing done since the move but my garage tools are getting quite the workout as we continue to get the house in order. I previously posted about the deck gate I built to keep the babies from falling off the porch. My next door neighbor liked mine so much I think I'm helping him build one this afternoon for his deck. He has a 1 year old and a 3 year old.

I have plans for a full size patio table but until it gets built I need someplace to set my beer while on the deck. I found pictures of these cube shaped concrete topped patio tables from a blogger and woodworker who goes by the name "LadyGoats (http://www.ladygoats.com/2015/06/diy-x-stool-or-table.html)". It uses a concrete paver from the garden department of the big box store and some 1x3 and 1x2 common boards. It really wasn't too hard to make and a few minutes with a random orbital sander fixed many of the imperfections. The 16"x16" paver gives a good size and weight so it won't blow around in the wind. I like this one so much, I may make another for the other corner. The wood will be stained to match the deck and the tops will be glued onto the wooden bases.
I'm not much of a woodworker but I'm getting better and starting to enjoy it more.

Monique
April 14th, 2016, 08:36 AM
You may have found a new hobby! Looking good.

Bubby
April 14th, 2016, 09:00 AM
That's a good looking and clever design for a small table. I like the idea of the paver for weight. Good job!

rebeccas-sewing
April 14th, 2016, 12:25 PM
Nice job, Ryan. I'm sure you're aware of all the videos on line for woodworking. A treasure trove for those wanting to learn the craft. I'm working on refinishing an old oak chest and a hutch. I found an awesome FREE video on Craftsy for finishing work. I've refinished a number of pieces of furniture over the years, however, a refresher course was in order. This one fit the bill. Dang! I should've taken a before picture. Oh well, I will certainly do so when I get to the hutch. We brought it back with us from the Netherlands. It's too light so I'm going to change the color of it. Joe's mom gave us his grandmother's china when I was visiting her recently. I plan to store it in that hutch.

nayzie
April 14th, 2016, 04:45 PM
Thanks for sharing, I was in need of tables that the wind can't blow over.

CraftySweetPeas
April 14th, 2016, 05:45 PM
Great table! There is so much done with pallets these days - can you get your hands on any in great shape and upcycle them? You might check Craigslist for your area, if you're interested. Also check the same website for hardwood scraps....we made cutting boards and butcher-block tops from FREE scraps.

Sylvia H
April 14th, 2016, 05:56 PM
That is a great looking table. A place for beer is very important! There are many similarities between woodworking and quilting - measuring twice and cutting once is the most recognized.

snippet
April 14th, 2016, 08:22 PM
Great table there! Looks like HSTs to me. I too love the idea of the concrete paver. You can set some sort of light inside the box for night light that the kids can't get to.

tamsterg7
April 14th, 2016, 11:59 PM
Ryan, I LOVE it -my DH was less than thrilled when I asked him to make me one.....

Hulamoon
April 15th, 2016, 12:09 AM
I love it! The next time we see a picture I'd like to see some flowers. :)

stationarymom
April 15th, 2016, 01:46 AM
Nice job! Soon you'll have made a whole patio set.

WendyI
April 15th, 2016, 09:58 AM
Very cool! I need a couple of these for my front porch. Not much room out there...you takin orders?

HandsomeRyan
April 15th, 2016, 08:10 PM
Very cool! I need a couple of these for my front porch. Not much room out there...you takin orders?

If you can make a quilt, you could make one of these yourself. I used a miter saw and a pocket hole jig because I own them but this could be cut with a hand saw and glued/clamped if you don't have access to those kind of wood working tools. The lumber is all readily available at the big box hardware store. While I own a truck, I transported all the materials for this project inside my compact car because my son was with me and that is where his carseat is.

It's 2016. You don't need some _man_ to build things for you. :)

Judy, USMC
April 15th, 2016, 11:19 PM
Ryan is right - just think of it as making a quilt in 3 dimensions! Cut all the materials for each side the same length. Of course construction materials are a little heavier ... and unless you have a power saw a little more labor intensive. But it is relatively easy with a quilt block construction background.

One fact that I've carried over to quilting - if you want to make sure your quilt is square you measure diagonally from top left to bottom right and from top right to bottom left. Both measurements have to be exact in construction ... only just relatively the same in quilting. Cloth will stretch a bit - wood doesn't.

ceiliam
April 16th, 2016, 05:36 PM
Love it Ryan such a great idea