PDA

View Full Version : DD got her own byline

grammaterry
April 13th, 2016, 08:02 PM
My oldest daughter has been trying to break into the writing business for about all of her life and she has a blog called mommiesmemorandum.com that has been very successful. But, she just wrote an article about her grandfather that is so wonderful and the Huffington Post picked it up. They picked up another one today. If you'd like to read it here is the link. She said that comments will really help, so if you like it maybe you'll comment.
http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/cowboy-boots-and-the-memo_b_9651520.html

SuzyQue
April 13th, 2016, 08:10 PM
Brings back sweet but frustrating memories! I am feeling blessed that mine are all grown..........yet a little nostalgic!

gshannon1008
April 13th, 2016, 08:21 PM
The magic of ordinary days is seen so vividly in her writing. Loved it and the memories to brought back for me of my relatives.

Grandma G
April 13th, 2016, 08:26 PM
Wow. I just finished reading her article and I have to tell you I really loved it. I didn't know either of my grandfathers because one passed away when I was four and the other when I was a little older but we were unable to spend much time with him. To have the relationship she had with her grandfather is something very special. Also, the comments accompanying her article are worth reading, too. Tell her for me I hope she continues to write. She has a gift.

MaggieSue
April 13th, 2016, 09:17 PM
Great read and since I am not a Facebook member I was unable to comment. I never knew either of my Grand Father's great that she shared hers with all of us.!!!

cv quilter
April 13th, 2016, 09:30 PM
I thoroughly enjoyed this link and your daughter's vividly depicted memories of her grandfather! I only knew one grandmother, and she was very distant! I feel the presence of grandparents is VERY important and I try to be fully involved with our grandchildren. How blessed was your daughter to have had this cowboy grandfather in her life and I love that she encourages her children to feel his presence, even though he is no longer physically here. Congratulations to your daughter for having her article with the wonderful pictures published. Congratulations to you for having raised such a talented and loving daughter. She writes incredibly well and really makes the reader feel they can see this wonderful grandfather.
You mentioned that comments would really help. How do we comment? I didn't see any place on the article where we can leave a comment.

sewbizzy
April 13th, 2016, 09:31 PM
Terry, I loved reading your daughters article...she has a gift for writing...

grammaterry
April 13th, 2016, 09:49 PM
After the article there are ads you have to scroll down from and then there is a comment section.

redcaboose1717
April 14th, 2016, 05:16 AM
The article was really awesome......made me cry !
I couldn't comment because I can't remember my FB ( I don't use FB much ) password.....

Congrats to your daughter ....how proud you must be !

Blondie
April 14th, 2016, 06:09 AM
I can see why HP picked this up. Very well written and a fun read. Congrats to you for raising such a fine daughter who is passing on Grandpa Jack's values (and yours) to her children.

cv quilter
April 14th, 2016, 10:13 AM
After the article there are ads you have to scroll down from and then there is a comment section.

Darn...I typed a comment and then realized that I have to have FB to be able to post it. I no longer have a FB account, so cannot comment.

grammaterry
April 14th, 2016, 10:38 AM
Good for you, not having facebook. I keep threatening to delete mine. I know that's where a lot of computer viruses come from. I never go there anymore. I would rather go here. Facebook just doesn't seem to appeal to me.

MayinJerset
April 14th, 2016, 11:57 AM
Kudos to your DD for a great touching tribute to her Grandpa Jack. I only had one grandparent, my father's father and he also made a big impact on my life. Wish I could write as well as your DD to honor him.

Here's a photo of Grandpa with his taxi cab, NYCity around 1912-14. They called him Diamond Jim because he wore a diamond stick pin on his tie. Inside of the cab had little vases next to each door and he put fresh flowers in them every day. 129293

cv quilter
April 14th, 2016, 05:53 PM
Good for you, not having facebook. I keep threatening to delete mine. I know that's where a lot of computer viruses come from. I never go there anymore. I would rather go here. Facebook just doesn't seem to appeal to me.

Thanks for understanding. My FB account got compromised so I decided I can do without it! I agree about the viruses.

grammaterry
April 14th, 2016, 11:54 PM
Kudos to your DD for a great touching tribute to her Grandpa Jack. I only had one grandparent, my father's father and he also made a big impact on my life. Wish I could write as well as your DD to honor him.

Here's a photo of Grandpa with his taxi cab, NYCity around 1912-14. They called him Diamond Jim because he wore a diamond stick pin on his tie. Inside of the cab had little vases next to each door and he put fresh flowers in them every day. 129293Oh that is a great story too. My daughter is a great writer. You can contact her and I'm sure she will write the story for you.