PDA

View Full Version : Shingles....

mario1360
April 13th, 2016, 05:03 PM
I hate to sound like a cry baby but this thing is awful...anyone here experienced it?
It has been 5 weeks and the pain is the same,once the pain killers loose their strength it is terrible.
It is always painful, worst at night, it does not like you in bed!!!!!!!!
I was off work 5 days but needed to go back....
Lyrica and anti inflammatory, maximum dosage, very tiring .
hoping for a quick resolve...

Monique
April 13th, 2016, 05:10 PM
I hope you feel better soon. I haven't had it (knock on wood)!

cv quilter
April 13th, 2016, 05:19 PM
I am so sorry for you. I have actually had the shingles 4 times (don't believe the old adage that you only get it once). Two of the four times were bad, the others mild. I absolutely do empathize with you. You are right about night time being the worst. I have the post herpetic neuralgia and the nerve pain will flare periodically even after several years since my worst episode. I use Lidoderm pain patches prescribed by my doctor when I have a flare. I don't see the shingles anymore, but the nerve damage is permanent I guess. If you don't have any physical outbreak, ask your doctor about Lidoderm. I hope you can get some relief soon.

mario1360
April 13th, 2016, 05:21 PM
I hope you feel better soon. I haven't had it (knock on wood)!

Bonjour Monique, did you have chicken pox?
if you did the virus could come back anytime after 50 years old.
if you are younger than 50, have a ball!!!!!!!!ha ha ha...
the vaccine is $250 but worth it....my partner got it and did not get infected.

it is debilitating...

mario1360
April 13th, 2016, 05:22 PM
I am so sorry for you. I have actually had the shingles 4 times (don't believe the old adage that you only get it once). Two of the four times were bad, the others mild. I absolutely do empathize with you. You are right about night time being the worst. I have the post herpetic neuralgia and the nerve pain will flare periodically even after several years since my worst episode. I use Lidoderm pain patches prescribed by my doctor when I have a flare. I don't see the shingles anymore, but the nerve damage is permanent I guess. If you don't have any physical outbreak, ask your doctor about Lidoderm. I hope you can get some relief soon.

oh dear, I also feel for you....time will fix it all I suppose.
my rash is not completely gone yet....

mischiefkat
April 13th, 2016, 05:44 PM
There was conversation on the forum between folks who had shingles a couple of weeks ago. I read the posts and felt really bad for those who were afflicted. As a nurse I've seen some really serious cases of shingles over the year., Usually among those who had CP and had some other chronic or longterm illness Yes, it comes from a person's long ago case of chicken pox. Never thought any more about it until mine broke out the other day. Yes nighttime is worse,for the pain, itching, burning,etc,etc, etc. I'm on large dose of an antiviral,but no relief yet.. I'm waiting. Kathy

Snip Snip
April 13th, 2016, 05:51 PM
I had it about 20 years ago. One thing I found that helped was a washcloth soaked in cool apple cider vinegar applied to the affected area.
I thought antiviral meds were prescribed for Shingles now? Maybe not. Before anyone spends $$ on the vaccine, know that it is not nearly 100% effective. Worth it to many of us, though.
Any thing you can do to keep your immune system strong is a good defense. Take garlic, ginger, turmeric, vitamin C.
Good luck to you. Hope you start recovering soon!

Oh, I see mischiefkat mentions antivirals...

Midge
April 13th, 2016, 05:52 PM
I am so sorry you both are suffering with shingles - it's a nightmare. As a retired nurse I have seen many people struggle with this syndrome. Yes, after we have chicken pox and recover as kids, the virus lives on inside our nerve cells and can re-emerge to cause what we call shingles in older people. So painful, so exhausting, so protracted. All quilty friends, I hope you are getting the shingles vaccine.

judimccl
April 13th, 2016, 05:55 PM
Will say prayers for you to get relief from this terrible thing soon. :icon_wave:

redcaboose1717
April 13th, 2016, 06:27 PM
No, you are NOT a cry-baby......shingles can be VERY painful. In a lot of cased, pain rises in intensity during the night and after midnight.
I know of a couple of people who have used home remedies for Shingles and one is using Apple Cider Vinegar ( I use vinegar for a lot of things.....)
Home Remedy for Shingles (http://www.apple-cider-vinegar-benefits.com/home-remedy-for-shingles.html)

Shingles Home Treatment and Remedies for Pain and Itching (http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/shingles/shingles-home-treatment)

Lyrica can make you tired / sleepy until you get used to it.

I know people that have gotten vaccinated for Shingles, and I think I might look into it.......

Here's a BIG ((((( HUG))))
Sorry you aren't feeling well !

dizzyLiz
April 13th, 2016, 06:50 PM
Hi Ladies. I am a pharmacy tec at Walgreens and have information for you about the shingles vaccine(Zostovax). The vaccine is recommended for anyone age 60 or above. Ages 50 - 59 if you have a chronic disease and or compromised immune system. Th cost can be expensive, but most insurance plans will cover all or part of the cost. Medicare part D covers the lions share. The highest co-pay I have seen with medicare part D is $60...that is much better then the $250 it costs with no insurance. You do not need a prescription to get the vaccine. Walgreens can tell you the cost for the vaccine on your insurance. I urge all of you to be vaccinated. Shingles is so very painful, and what many folks don't realize is, if you have it on your face or eyes, it can actually damage your eyesight . So please go to Walgreens and tell them Liz from Anderson SC sent you......LOL I'm at the West Whitner Str store.

MaryD
April 13th, 2016, 09:16 PM
I always use vitamin C for burns (externally) and allergy rashes (internally). I found this information in one of Adelle Davis' books. She basically advised large doses of particular vitamins for various conditions.

I had great success with 'overdosing' with Vit C when I had extremely bad contact allergy rash for months. Steroids and numerous other medications hadn't helped and I was in constant danger of dehydration. (You don't want the gory details). Basically Ms Davis suggested taking 1000mg of vit C every hour, on the hour till the itch/pain had gone. I didn't want to risk overdosing so I decided to try it for five doses. After 3 doses the discomfort/pain had stopped. I needed two doses the next day, and one for a few days thereafter. Thereafter I was OK. (Please forgive me Adelle, for thinking you always overdosed on vitamins)

Last year I had very bad shingles. Because of my kidney disease I wasn't game to try multiple doses, but I found 1000mg did make a great difference with the shingles pain. If the rest of your health is OK it might be worth a try using the 1000mg every hour, on the hour. Drink plenty of water and I would suggest you don't go beyond 3 - 5 doses.

IMPORTANT INFORMATION ABOUT BURNS AND VITAMIN C.

After you have run your burnt finger under cool water the usual way, dab the area with a wet vitamin C tablet. It is magic!! The pain is instantly gone - even that shooting pain that runs up the inside of your arm. Adelle Davis recommended keeping a spray bottle of ascorbic acid in the fridge, but I burn myself so infrequently that I figured a fresh wet vitamin C tablet would be safer. She also claimed that this process reduced blistering, too. I couldn't imagine how she could say this, till I burnt two fingers and treated the worse burnt finger. It didn't blister whereas the lesser burnt one did.

PS. I am a great believer that I get all the vitamins, etc that I need from a good diet.

Lyndaj
April 13th, 2016, 09:26 PM
Mario,

I am so sorry to hear that you have Shingles. A colleague of mine had it a few years ago and had 5-6 weeks off work.

As for the vaccine, the efficacy of that vaccine does not make it worth it in my opinion. I too am over 50 and have had chicken pox. I'm not a fan of vaccines, but again, that's just me.

I hope you feel better soon.

Lynda

JCY
April 13th, 2016, 09:35 PM
Having shingles is miserable! My DH had them a few yrs. back. It was located on his lower back. The itching & burning pain nearly drove him nuts. I think the anti-viral med. works only if it's diagnosed within 48 hrs. & the Rx is started right away. Not much helped him. He just had to suffer through.

When I was working as an RN, I took care of patients with shingles. One in particular I remember had the shingles on her face & in her ears. She was soooo miserable. I'm generally opposed to most vaccines, so I have not had the shingles vaccine. I wasn't aware that Medicare would pay for it.

I hope those of you who are suffering get better soon.

Midge
April 13th, 2016, 10:28 PM
Just to clarify, the efficacy of the current shingles vaccine in preventing shingles is not as high as we have come to expect with vaccines in general, that is true. However, it's greater value to everyone is its efficacy in preventing postherpetic neuralgia, a horrible chronic pain syndrome which can persist for many years after the shingles themselves are gone. Trust me as a nurse when I say you do not want to live with postherpetic neuralgia. Nor do you want to pay opthamologists for shingles threatening the eyes and risk blindness.

EnumclawGramma
April 13th, 2016, 11:12 PM
I had them about 3 years ago. It started with an itchy spot right between my breasts that felt like a hive. I thot it was nerves at first. But within a day I knew what it was and went to the doc. I was hours too late for the antiviral. She gave me Percoset (sp?) and a drug that was used for epilepsy because they found it worked good for the neuropathic pain. I slept alone for a couple months, because, well, I didn't sleep. I described the pain like this: It was just like someone was holding a live wire and poking me here, and there and zapping me continually. It totally sapped my energy for a few months. Whenever I get the slightest itch in the area I freak out a little. I just found out my insurance covers the shot so I'm getting it, as is my DH. I don't care if it isn't 100%. Interesting side note, my cousin called me from NY when I had them to let me know she had them too. It was a macabre bonding experience. She tells people we shared bi-coastal shingles!
Praying for you. This too shall pass.

Kgrammiecaz
April 13th, 2016, 11:23 PM
I had shingles in April 2010. It was not diagnosed in time for the antivirals to work although they gave,them to me anyay. I had pneumonia just before I got them. It is the most horrific pain I have ever experienced. I pretty sure I told my story on here at some point back a bit. Because it was not caught in time I now do have PHN. Bad enough that I have a shot in mt back approx every 5 months. During my outbreak I had three episodes of what I would explain as the feeling of what I think being electocuted would feel like. I was in the hospital and ended up getting the MRSA virus in two of the areas of outbreak. I ended up in emegency surgery and they removed a fitful of me in one area and about quarters worth in the second area. I was on a wound vac for both for almost three months. Could not wok or do much else.visiting nurse came twice a week. I was 56 years old at that time. Between that and fibromylgia, I am on 24/7 pain meds plus lido patches when I need them and cymbalta. Without that shot, my destroyed nerve pinches me more times than I can count.

This story is no longer a boohoo story. It surely was in 2010. I have learned to live with the issues. It did not beat me, I qm beating it

Please do not take getting the vaccine lightly. If it gives you a one percent chance of not getting shingles, it is worth it. Also, as said above, the vaccine should also help to get a milder version if you were to get it.

My story is in no way an exaggeration. In fact I somewhat simplified it. Protect yourself against this.

To those who currently have it, I will add a prayer you heal quick. One thing I used was oatmeal wash. It did help with the itch and pain of the rash. I am so sorry you are dealing with this terrible disease.

I also prayer that our medical proffesionals continue to become more versed in diagnosing shingles, even before the rash shows. The pain before the rash is unbelievable. I would have a dozen babies naturally before going through that ever again.

Sorry for the long story. Just very passionate about this subject.

Simply Quilting
April 14th, 2016, 01:26 AM
Mario, so sorry that you have the shingles. They are horrible. DH's grandma had them several times - I know of at least 4 times. She said the worst ones were the internal ones that never show a rash on the outside. Her and several other ladies I know had horrible times, nothing seemed to take away the pain. One lady could only wear a very light housecoat and even then it was painful for her to wear that.

Sadly, shingles is not only an over age of 50 issue. A close friend of mine whose son was in his early 30s had them across his forehead - we worried about his sight and his brain both of which were thankfully fine but he has horrid scarring from the shingles.

stationarymom
April 14th, 2016, 01:41 AM
If your rash is in a spot where you have no major function you might be able to ask the Dr about a nerve block for longer pain control(My MIL did that because she was in such severe pain).I hope things get better very soon.

redcaboose1717
April 14th, 2016, 02:46 AM
I had them about 3 years ago. It started with an itchy spot right between my breasts that felt like a hive. I thot it was nerves at first. But within a day I knew what it was and went to the doc. I was hours too late for the antiviral. She gave me Percoset (sp?) and a drug that was used for epilepsy because they found it worked good for the neuropathic pain. I slept alone for a couple months, because, well, I didn't sleep. I described the pain like this: It was just like someone was holding a live wire and poking me here, and there and zapping me continually. It totally sapped my energy for a few months. Whenever I get the slightest itch in the area I freak out a little. I just found out my insurance covers the shot so I'm getting it, as is my DH. I don't care if it isn't 100%. Interesting side note, my cousin called me from NY when I had them to let me know she had them too. It was a macabre bonding experience. She tells people we shared bi-coastal shingles!
Praying for you. This too shall pass.

Was the anti-seizure med Tegretol ? ( Just a guess, there are quite a few new medications that are used for more than seizures.) I have wondered if some Drs. also prescribe Neurontin ......for shingles.
Several years ago, after having brain surgery, ( I have Hydrocephalus that wasn't found out until I was in my late 20's.....it is not NPH ( Normal Pressure Hydro....My ventricles are really large ) I was given Topamax which is used for more than seizures....some people find relief with Topamax from severe headaches etc.....The one PLUS side to Topamax for me was that I lost a lot of weight.( of course this may not help others in this way.) Years prior to being put on Topamax, I was given Depakote, which causes weight gain in a lot of people......so, the Topamax worked for me, not only for the seizure control, but I lost all the weight ( almost 80 pounds ) I gained when I was on Depakote ( Valporic Acid ) to prevent seizure activity...... for several ( I think I was on Depakote for 6-8 yrs ) years......While this worked for me, it might not be the answer for someone else. I gained a horrid amount of weight due to that medication.
Last year, I went to WalMart to pick up my medications and was asked about vaccinations ....and they ran the Shingles vaccine, and I was declined ( I am 61 ) ......Due to all my health issues I get a yearly flu vaccine and every 5 yrs the Pneumonia vaccine as well.
I will admit I am an advocate of vitamins. I take C, B 12, E, & Iron. I also take Zinc whenever I am coming down with a cold, and that seems to help me, although it doesn't help my younger sister at all....everyone of course is different.

Okay....for those of you who have had Shingles.....Have you tried using an Aloe Vera Plant? I thought about this when I was reading some of the comments here. I really hope that I never get shingles! I feel so bad for all of you and your loved ones that have had the dreaded Shingles....:-(

easyquilts
April 14th, 2016, 08:20 AM
Oh, my... I hope you feel lots better soon... My doctor suggested a shingles "shot" years ago... I took her up,on it, because I had seen my mother suffer with shingled in her eyed... I don't doubt yiur Odin and discomfort fir a minute,,,,

Hugs...

ACD_Donna
April 14th, 2016, 08:26 AM
My MIL uses the Aloe Vera gel to get relief. She used the cheap Walgreen brand and said it worked better than any of the medication prescribed by her doctor. We have passed this on to other that said it was the only relief they got.
Hope you feel better soon.
Donna

Bubby
April 14th, 2016, 09:08 AM
I got a minor case of shingles around my middle after my DD was born. Since then I've not had them come back. I have friends who suffer with them. I hope you get relief soon.

cv quilter
April 14th, 2016, 10:19 AM
Just to clarify, the efficacy of the current shingles vaccine in preventing shingles is not as high as we have come to expect with vaccines in general, that is true. However, it's greater value to everyone is its efficacy in preventing postherpetic neuralgia, a horrible chronic pain syndrome which can persist for many years after the shingles themselves are gone. Trust me as a nurse when I say you do not want to live with postherpetic neuralgia. Nor do you want to pay opthamologists for shingles threatening the eyes and risk blindness.
Midge, I have not gotten the shingles shot and after reading your post, I wonder if I would benefit from it due to my postherpetic neuralgia. You are correct in saying it is a very painful thing to live with. The burn is always there (I had it around my waste) and at times the flares are horrible to deal with. The pain patches help to ease it, but the burning sensation is always there.

Midge
April 14th, 2016, 11:28 AM
I'll pm you.

rebeccas-sewing
April 14th, 2016, 11:44 AM
Deleted duplicate posting.

rebeccas-sewing
April 14th, 2016, 11:46 AM
I received the shingles shot so hopefully I won't get saddled with it. I'm hoping if I do get it that the vaccine will at least help avoid a severe case. The best man at our wedding almost died from the shingles. He got them on his brain!!! Fortunately, they found a doctor who figured it out and he had surgery. Unfortunately, he was unable to work after this since it affected his memory. He was fairly young when it happened. Another friend developed it in her lady parts. Talk about pain! I can't even imagine.

Yes, the vaccine is covered by medical insurance at a certain age. It was sixty when I received my vaccination. I'm assuming that's still the case. However, if you can afford it, go get the shot and pay the price.

No one will accuse you of being a baby for complaining, crying, etc. Feel better soon.

rebeccas-sewing
April 14th, 2016, 11:48 AM
I wonder if the vaccine is effective receiving it after a bout of the shingles? If so, it would definitely be worth it so one doesn't get them again. Anyone know?

Carolnnc
April 14th, 2016, 02:12 PM
Four times I have watched my mother suffer horribly with shingles. It is so frustrating that I can't convince her to get the shot.
From the CDC website:
Even if you have had shingles, you can still receive shingles vaccine to help prevent future occurrences of the disease. There is no specific length of time you must wait after having shingles before receiving shingles vaccine, but generally you should make sure the shingles rash has disappeared before getting vaccinated. The decision on when to get vaccinated should be made with your healthcare provider. Protection from shingles vaccine lasts about 5 years, so adults vaccinated before they are 60 years old might not be protected later in life when the risk for shingles and its complications are greatest. No serious problems have been identified with shingles vaccine.

mischiefkat
April 15th, 2016, 08:06 PM
What were you given for pain,if anything? Kathy

mario1360
May 4th, 2016, 06:06 PM
I am refreshing this post. The rash is 90% gone but the pain is still awful. Feels like electric shocks on my stomach and a fire pit on my back often at the same time. I was off work for 2 weeks but I need to work so I carry my cross. I take Oxycontin on weekends for relief.
I now am up to 450mg of Lyrica a day.
Dr says to be patient, it will go away. I have been 3 times to the emergency clinic to make sure I did not have something eating me up inside, silly me.
Feels good to talk about it, thank you for your support.

songbird857
May 4th, 2016, 06:18 PM
I am so sorry that you have been experiencing so much pain with this :(

mario1360
May 4th, 2016, 08:20 PM
thank you for your reply songbird857, I am in great shape so I imagine someone frail must suffer even more.

Kgrammiecaz
May 4th, 2016, 10:04 PM
So sorry it is still going on. It is an ugly thing to deal with. Prayers for a quicker recovery.

MaryD
May 4th, 2016, 11:15 PM
I've been wondering how you've been going.

Soon you'll realise that it doesn't feel as bad as it did last month, and eventually, that it doesn't feel as bad as it did last week. And then you'll only get niggles occasionally! Mine took about six months from go to whoa.

Midge
May 4th, 2016, 11:49 PM
So sorry to hear you are still suffering this terrible nerve pain. It's so debilitating and depressing, I know. Have you tried the lidocaine patches for part of your pain management?

sewbizzy
May 5th, 2016, 12:40 AM
Keeping you in my prayers for relief from your pain...you seem to have a positive attitude....thankfully you are in good shape...hugs to you

MayinJerset
May 5th, 2016, 08:56 AM
Oh, Mario, Hope the end is in sight but in the mean time I thought you could use this,130039