PDA

View Full Version : Quilting group saved my sister's car

snippet
April 13th, 2016, 02:31 PM
Last night we had some bad storms come through San Antonio. Our little group of three were quilting and about to leave when the rain came, so my sister waited for a while before heading home. It's a good thing too. Because the neighborhood where she lives got hit with hail the size of a baseball and all the cars have smashed front and back windows! Her son was home and he said the sound was deafening. Across the street from her subdivision is a solar farm with acres of solar panels and yep, most everyone is smashed and broken!

She called her insurance agent and they are swamped with claims.

I'm fine too. My neighborhood got much smaller hail.

Judy, USMC
April 13th, 2016, 03:39 PM
WOW, Carol, glad she was at your place and you didn't have any severe damage like her neighborhood. Personally, I hate bad weather - it's scary - especially at night.

K. McEuen
April 13th, 2016, 04:36 PM
My brother stood in his garage once and watched softball sized hail beat the crap out of his car and truck sitting in his driveway. He had pulled them out to clean the garage and along came a storm. He would have put his life at risk trying to go out and move them back in, so he just watched. Houses up and down his street had roof damage and almost every skylight busted. Luckily his skylight held up.

Hopefully your sister gets through to her insurance company soon. You have to know they are swamped.

mamo69
April 13th, 2016, 06:14 PM
Snippet, are you speaking of the solar panel "farm" west of IH37S?? I live in New Braunfels and only received about an inch of rain. I feel for all who had damage. What about the HEB and WalMart that couldn't open today due to damage to their buildings?

DNeubauer
April 13th, 2016, 06:18 PM
I, too, live in the San Antonio area, but fortunately did not get the hail. Snippet so glad that you are okay and your sister as well.

CraftySweetPeas
April 13th, 2016, 06:24 PM
OMG, I saw that storm and damage on the news here in Seattle....that was CRAZY! It sounded like the windows of the home were being shot-out. I hope there were no major injuries to persons...?

auntiemern
April 13th, 2016, 07:06 PM
So glad to hear that her and her car are alright. I saw that on the news last night. That was some mighty big hail.

snippet
April 13th, 2016, 07:07 PM
Snippet, are you speaking of the solar panel "farm" west of IH37S?? I live in New Braunfels and only received about an inch of rain. I feel for all who had damage. What about the HEB and WalMart that couldn't open today due to damage to their buildings?
No this farm is just north of I-10 and west of 1604 in Converse. It's called Alamo 3 and is about 70 acres of solar panels. I love driving by it when the sheep are there. They used to have a dog herding them, but changed to a llama (or emu, I can't tell)

The HEB plus near me had every skylight smashed and the rain just poured in. I imagine a lot of stores are closed today. The car dealerships got it too - a BMW dealer said he had over 100 cars ruined. There is a house in Helotes that looks like the siding is swiss cheese.

I haven't heard of any injuries to persons yet. It's a good thing it didn't happen next week when Fiesta happens! That would be a recipe for disaster.

stitching woman
April 13th, 2016, 07:51 PM
I am glad that both you and your sister are ok. See how good quilting is for you.

Jean Sewing Machine
April 13th, 2016, 09:33 PM
So glad she and her car are ok! At first I envisioned the quilt group to throw quilts on the car to pad it from the hail. But glad for you all that you were ok where you were when the storm hit.

Sandy Navas
April 13th, 2016, 09:42 PM
Having a lot of empathy here for anyone who had damages. BUT my real concern is with Carol who can't tell the difference between an EMU and a LLAMA . . .

snippet
April 14th, 2016, 04:00 AM
Having a lot of empathy here for anyone who had damages. BUT my real concern is with Carol who can't tell the difference between an EMU and a LLAMA . . .

most definitely it was a llama.... or was it an alpaca? I don't know

easyquilts
April 14th, 2016, 08:17 AM
Boy, you and your sister were both lucky! That hail must have been something else.

WendyI
April 15th, 2016, 10:07 AM
Holy crap! That's some big hail! Yikes!! Glad your sister was spared!

SANDY OMG I have missed you!! hahahahahaha