PDA

View Full Version : Wednesday - back in the middle again

Blondie
April 13th, 2016, 07:44 AM

Hello Folksies!

So, it's Wednesday. Another day of painting ahead. I would like to say that I am stiff and sore in a good way. That would be a lie. While I am liking the look and scent of fresh paint, my shoulders and knees are not impressed. Being my Daddy's oldest daughter, I listen to my body. Being my Mommy's middle child, I push myself. I am taking my time and this is a slow process. I never realized how dirty my cabinets and walls were. The last time I remember really scrubbing walls and cabinets was way way way back when I was pregnant with my second child. I literally climbed on counter tops to wash the molding and ceilings. I know, I know. I was pretty strange. But my house was immaculate. LOL. Last evening after Luscious got home, we went to get some more paint samples of the yellow. He likes this new one. I am still straddling the fence. It may have something to do with the young man who was mixing the paint samples up. He really knew nothing about paint. And he tried valiantly to BS me about what brand I needed to buy, which was of course the most expensive 60 dollar a gallon can. Silly youth. If I could afford 60 bucks a can, I would hire a professional to get this done in less than a day. hahaha.

Ok, ladies and gents, off to put my knee donuts on and strreeetttcchhh those shoulders. I'm going in.

Have a wonderful Wednesday and smile when you think of me on a step ladder, doing my impersonation of my Mom.

Blessings

Monique
April 13th, 2016, 07:52 AM
Blondie, I wish I could help you, I love to paint. I haven't painted here in some years. Hmmm, kitchen might need an update. My walls are a pale pale yellow.

Another bright start to the day. At 6 this morning, I heard either the coyotes/wolves yipping. Strange to hear them at this hour. Then that started the neighbourhood dogs barking. I did groceries yesterday and got a 50lb bag of bird seed. That should keep them happy for a while. Feeders are all topped off, ready for a new day.

I finished the second row and added a hanging sleeve to it. Who know it was so easy to do. My brother will be so pleased. I was thinking of the placemats this morning and I may not be able to redo one of them as I may not have enough fabric. I would have to take the whole thing apart, front and back, and start from scratch. OY! I may just leave it alone, at least she has three good ones. LOL!!

So what to work on today, that is the question. I am sure I will figure it out at some point.

Have a great day everyone.

Bubby
April 13th, 2016, 08:05 AM
Morning....

Blondie, good luck with your painting. We need to do the same thing to our whole house. Our kitchen is dark red (on the walls that are broken up with windows, cabinets, etc) with egg yolk yellow for the accent wall. It was this color when we bought the house and I like it. It even decorates well for Christmas.

My allergies are raging again today. I had a rough time getting any sleep. Does anyone but me sneeze in your sleep? I took my allergy meds and now I feel like ants are running races on my scalp.

I started watching Jean's tutorials on the NCW.....great job, Jean! I have a binding to hem on a modern quilt today if I can stay awake.

songbird857
April 13th, 2016, 08:19 AM
Morning all...
Our walls haven't been painted since we bought this house, nigh on 14 years ago, so it's definitely time ;)
Lots of laundry and cleaning to do today, so I'll try to pop in later! Have a great day all :)

Ginny B
April 13th, 2016, 08:22 AM
Good morning everyone. The sun is shining and the wind has stopped. That brings a smile to my face for sure.

Blondie, be careful climbing around and reaching, etc. Sounds like you are making good progress. Monique, my feathered friends here have been eating a lot too. I am loving hearing their morning songs again.

Well, DS#2 has decided to put an offer on one of the many, many places he has been looking at. It's a bit upstate from where we are now but not really far at all. It's in Peekskill, NY. I pray that all goes smoothly for him. DS#1 will probably be moving with him and I think it will be good for him too. He needs a fresh start in a new location and he also wants to get out of city living. It will give him a chance to find a permanent job and then a place of his own. I am hoping it helps him with his depression too. So we are moving on down the road of selling the house in Brooklyn. We are blessed to have a buyer for the house who is willing to wait until September to go to close. It's still a very difficult thing for me to deal with. My sister spent a few days there last week going through bins of things and purged a lot. She is headed back there today and I will be there this weekend.

Have a wonderful day everyone.

dwil23
April 13th, 2016, 09:03 AM
Good Morning, all!

Blondie, I USED to love to paint. After the last thing a painted - a small walk in closet about 8 years ago - that all changed. Luckily, youngest DD likes to paint and is pretty good at it. Every wall in my house was painted before I moved in 2 years ago, so I won't have to think about any of that any time soon. Come to think of it - I did do some painting here. This smoke embedded room I use as my office and studio. UGH. I have no idea how many coats it took to get rid of the smell and finally an under coat of $60 a can KILZ (took 2 cans) for the walls and ceiling. I swear the room is an inch smaller in each direction with all those coats of paint.

Off to a doctor's appt this morning and then to figure out what to do about my teeth. I have one that needs to be extracted, and has for a while now, but I am having pain that does not seem to be coming from that one. Should I go to the regular dentist just to have him tell me to see the oral surgeon, or just go to the oral surgeon - who may send me back to the dentist. Decisions.

I hope to get a little sewing time in this evening. I actually took leave from work last night so that I could have two days off. We have worked one of our days off for weeks. The money is nice, but it sure puts a crimp in your life otherwise.

HOpe everyone has a Blessed Day - prayers for all in need.

MRoy
April 13th, 2016, 09:05 AM
Good morning! Monique, you're welcome to come on down and paint my house anytime. The whole house needs painting inside and I dread it. DH doesn't like "colored" walls, so it will be painted some shade of off white throughout...exciting colors, not!

Today I'm finishing binding the cheddar bowtie quilt. I started piecing this quilt about 3 years ago at my kitchen table and I'm finally finishing it. I'm not going to put anything else on the quilt frame for awhile in hopes DH will decide to start installing my new laminate flooring soon. I about ready to yank the carpet up now by myself.

toggpine
April 13th, 2016, 09:07 AM
Good morning all!
Emily and I are sitting in the airport waiting to board our first flight of the day. The security screening line took us about 16 minutes. I was impressed.
Going to power this down so we don't disturb the pilots! See you in Denver if our layover is long enough.
Hugs, C

MayinJerset
April 13th, 2016, 09:57 AM
After all the time, money, mess and physical abuse of painting you would think we'd be so pleased and happy with our newly painted room(s) but that pleasure only lasts a few minutes until we see how bad it makes our cabinets, furniture and floors look. OH, The never ending pleasures of being a homeowner.

Was up for quite awhile during the night and slept really soundly from 4 til 7:30 this morning, going to enjoy the late wake up as for once there are no important or pressing items on my To Do List. May be a good time to prep some meals for the week, DH keeps asking for some Sheppard's pie and since it's still is a bit cold out some minestrone soup sounds good too.

Good trip to Cathy and Em.

grammaterry
April 13th, 2016, 09:58 AM
About 16 yrs ago I (I say I because DH went on a moose hunting trip to Canada) gutted my kitchen. I hired a local boy to help me and we laid hardwood floors wall to wall. Then we lined the walls with formica (almond color) and then we hung cabinets. It was a job. BUt it will never need painting again. I do have to wash the walls and the floors but its probably a good thing. Although I miss getting to change colors, I am just too old and have too many other things I want to do.

WendyI
April 13th, 2016, 10:15 AM
Morning all!! Not a painter here either. I moved into my place last May and it's painted the most lovely shade of taupe...but sadly they used contractor grade paint! WHY go to the trouble of painting it a gorgeous colour and then use the cheapest, crapiest paint?! It needs to be painted again so badly but I have 9 foot ceilings and I DESPISE painting. So I may make a deal with my landlord...if he pays for someone to paint it, I will buy the paint. Hope he will go for it because otherwise it's not gettin done!

Busy day and rest of the week for me. I work until noon, then leave work and have to do a massive water change on my aquarium when I get home. Then at 5:00 go with my friend to pick up her kids from their dad...he's an abusive creep so she always has to have someone with her. Then home for a bit then off to a refugee committee meeting. Tomorrow I have to go for a mammogram (uhg). Then groceries on a serious budget this month (double uhg). Then about a month's worth of laundry that I have been procrastinating on. At least we are supposed to get some nice weather this weekend so will be setting up my deck. Saw a mosquito the other day so hopefully things will dry up and I can actually enjoy the deck without getting chewed alive.

Hoping all are well and sending massive hugs to those who need them! xox

Jean Sewing Machine
April 13th, 2016, 10:20 AM
Morning....

Blondie, good luck with your painting. We need to do the same thing to our whole house. Our kitchen is dark red (on the walls that are broken up with windows, cabinets, etc) with egg yolk yellow for the accent wall. It was this color when we bought the house and I like it. It even decorates well for Christmas.

My allergies are raging again today. I had a rough time getting any sleep. Does anyone but me sneeze in your sleep? I took my allergy meds and now I feel like ants are running races on my scalp.

I started watching Jean's tutorials on the NCW.....great job, Jean! I have a binding to hem on a modern quilt today if I can stay awake.

Thanks, Barb! I love doing them! Both the NCW's and the tutorials! I was carrying a purse made from St. Louis Cardinals fabric yesterday, and got orders for 2 more NCWs made from that fabric from 2 clerks at WalMart! They sell themselves! Nice little cottage industry!

URIBARRI-MAYOR
April 13th, 2016, 10:42 AM
Good morning everyone, today itīs ready 3 pm when I connected to the forum because this morning has been my sister and encouraged me to take a walk along the beach and the mountains, as it has left a wonderful sunny day and wanted to take a walk, plus we have 22š-71'6 F and the warmth is good. It seems that all we want to paint, but Blondie care with heights that are dangerous, I hope it ends soon paint without any problem. In my walk I made pictures of the beach and the two old Hospitals that are near the beach, 100 years ago a Doctor very famous bones in the Basque Country, building these Hospitals for children and adults with bone problems and for more 70 years passed lot of people, here today the largest is for people with physical dependence and the other is to study marine life and depends on the Public University of Bizkaia, you see I like to teach some of my people because we are so far although we are not so different, so here they are some photos and wish you all his works look nice and have a good day, greeting129224129225129226129227129228

GrammaBabs
April 13th, 2016, 11:27 AM
Hot shower,,, and do really "stretch" a little before you begin... a MUST ... as for the paint... We are practical people here.. DH's did all the walls with the Walmart brand paint (which i found out is Gliddon, or was when we used it)... it covered white in ONE coat,, although DH's is a pretty strong man with a roller...LOL
That was 13yrs ago this month,, and things still look great:))GB

SewnByBee
April 13th, 2016, 12:12 PM
Good Morning...... Hump Day.

We got the baby's room painted, it's a sweet blue and grey with navy accent's. She found this adorable comforter, it looks like
STITCH WORK, I love it.

They are using a ides she came up with......the outline drawings of cars.. trucks...ect.
To give the room, the ability to grow with him.

I will take more pictures when they get things put in place.

Creativity, is an unlimited gift. If you allow it to be.....playing with color, no matter what form it's in, fabric, paint, flowers ......endless joy.

Be blessed dear friends, hugs, prayers, or encouragement..........

EnumclawGramma
April 13th, 2016, 12:40 PM
Good Morning! I really had to drag myself out today! I get up at 2AM with DH and make his smoothie and have coffee with him and then Mollie and I sneak back to bed for as long as we can. I really didn't want to get up today. But here I am!
Painting! Ugh! The only place in my home right now that really needs paint is my hallway, because I have dogs who lean whenever they go down the hall, and sleep right against the wall. Weird, huh? But I'm going to try washing it (again) and see if I can skip the paint to list the house. So many other more pressing things to do!
Yesterday I packed the room we call "the nook". It's a sun room off the kitchen that has my china closet. I got all my treasures and fragile pretties all packed. The box brigade has begun! I keep thinking about all the other rooms. I am having a Calgon moment! I'm seriously thinking of moving on to my sewing room next and just packing what I don't need for the 3 quilts I'm working now. There's a lot of sorting to be done in there and tons of stuff to add to the yard sale that I won't be taking with me.
This is my day to stay with the Grands, and I was seriously thinking of not going and staying home to work, until I got a text from my middle DGD that said this:" Gramma, are you coming tomorrow? And if so can we please make Gramma cookies?" And who could EVER say no to that? So, packing up what I need, I'm going to grab a shower, hit the store and head on over. Packing and all this other stuff can wait till tomorrow!
Have a blessed day!

rebeccas-sewing
April 13th, 2016, 01:54 PM
I'm in the same boat, Blondie. Since the move back in October, I've been working so hard around this place. At first, I was so sore and achy but I've noticed as I continue to labor that I'm getting stronger. The aches and pains have subsided. So far, I've painted our hallway along with baseboards and five door frames (doors come later). I've painted Joe's office, the guest room, and my sewing room.

Along with Joe's help, I've thatched, soiled and seeded two major areas in our front yard. I've cleaned out some of the beds in the front and back. I've planted many new perrenials (mostly drought-tolerant). I've planted a small above-ground vegetable garden.

I'm currently refinishing an old oak chest and will work on a hutch that we brought back from the Netherlands. In between all of this, I'm continuing to throw together Quatrefoil blocks for my nephew and his new bride's wedding quilt.

Also, I've been playing taxi driver to a friend who had surgery on her foot three months ago. She should be driving by now but she isn't as strong in her mind or body as I would be under these circumstances. I couldn't stand having to be so dependent on others for so long. However, I love her so I'm continuing to drive her around. It's getting old, though, so I'll be encouraging her to get behind the wheel and see if she can manage on her own.

I've decided that all this laboring is good for my soul and my body. At least that's what I'm telling myself. hahaha In the meantime, there is still much to do. We need to whip this place into shape with expectations of selling it in the future. Don't know when that will happen but we need to be prepared.

ceiliam
April 13th, 2016, 02:47 PM
Late as usual wow you ladies are busy, you wear me out just reading ..lol. Rebecca wow go girl, you can come and visit me.. Took the dog walking been making pop up containers for retreats been thing of doing one for sewing notions have a great day all

auntiemern
April 13th, 2016, 03:18 PM
Blondie, the colors sound great, but do be careful DF. I wish I could climb around like I used to. Can't even get up on a kitchen chair anymore. Last time I tried...I didn't make it, and realized the pain of falling that hard and hurting myself just wasn't worth what ever I was trying to get to. It has been a few years since the main part of the house was painted. I wanted the kitchen the color of chocolate milk, and DH just couldn't envision what I was talking about...so I had him stop and pick up a carton before we went to buy the paint. The rest of the common areas, and one wall in the kitchen are light tan with the chocolate milk color as accents. He is just one of those people that cannot see the picture before it is finished. I had to literally use graph paper and sketch out the entire patio, the way I wanted it, including the plants and driftwood before he would agree that what I had in mind was going to look good. Silly man. He should know by now...I don't have 'bad' ideas, lol.

Mimis-quilts
April 13th, 2016, 03:44 PM
Blondie...I'm right there with you. Since I finished my degree in December, I decided to paint every room in the house. So far I have our bedroom, bathroom, hallway, and hall bathroom done. I'm currently at a stand-still, as I had to have someone to replace an area of the ceiling in the living room from a previous roof leak...we have a new roof, so no more leak. But the guy has made a mess and there is drywall dust EVERYWHERE! So, when he gets done, then I can continue to paint.

My knees and shoulders have sympathy for yours! Have fun...if that is possible.