PDA

View Full Version : Classical music anyone?

mario1360
April 8th, 2016, 09:15 PM
hand piecing my 1.5 in squares onto strips for my Illusion quilt while listening to Montreal Symphony recordings from the 70s and 80s, Superb sound, amazing artistry. Right now listening to Franz Von Suppe Overtures. I never watch TV except for morning and evening news. Of course I watch PBS occasionally. Any one else in to classical???

Jean Sewing Machine
April 8th, 2016, 09:27 PM
Oh yes! I grew up on it, my mother and father both loved this genre of music. When my friends were grooving on Elvis and the Beatles, I was listening to Debussy!

mario1360
April 8th, 2016, 09:34 PM
ahhh Debussy, lovely. Although I was a Beatlemaniac but I never let Bach down....I remember bringing Vivaldi records to our weekly listening sessions in high school, everybody laughed at me...

JCY
April 8th, 2016, 09:42 PM
My favorite is southern gospel music. My CD player is on whenever I'm in my sewing room.

Midge
April 8th, 2016, 10:20 PM
Yes! Grew up listening to classical orchestral music and opera. A season ticket holder at the Cleveland Orchestra for many years. Classical music definitely helps me concentrate, as well as soothes the soul.

mario1360
April 8th, 2016, 10:27 PM
I also love gospel, I remember the Montreal Jubilation Gospel Choir, used to go hear them in downtown Montreal in the 70s.

Hulamoon
April 8th, 2016, 10:36 PM
I like some of it. I have a CD called classical music for people that don't like classical music. lol. I grew up on show tunes, Gershwin, Judy Garland and Hello Dolly type of music.

One of my first concerts was Led Zepplin. So I like everything. Opera ummm no.

MaryD
April 9th, 2016, 12:34 AM
It's Beethoven for me - interspersed with a little Bach and a sprinkling of Mahler. Actually I can't imagine a sprinkle of Mahler - more like chunks

At the moment I'm really into John Tavener - makes my hair stand up on end!

bubba
April 9th, 2016, 12:49 AM
We did not have music until my two older sisters got into high school and they bought a record player. The first album I bought (for $2!!) was the soundtrack to American Graffiti, followed by an album by the Carpenters that has We've Only Just Begun and Close To You on it. Shortly after that, our uncle have us a 45rpm player that played only singles and that was when I fell in love w/the oldies! The only record I can remember was The Purple People Eater, and I'm sure I drove my parents nuts!!

I listen to Trace in my studio, sometimes switching up to Kathy Mattea or Meatloaf!

Also, my two girls and the oldest grandson, Tyler, are probably the only three kids who can sing any oldies song! When I had my PT Cruiser, oldies was the only music allowed, either on the radio or from one of my dozens of oldies music CD's.

SuzyQue
April 9th, 2016, 01:30 AM
After 3 kids and decades of piano, cello, flute, and harp lessons....I never thought I would ever get a quiet moment. Now my house is too quiet and I can't wait for them to fill it with classical music again! My babies were raised on classical music from conception on. I listen to everything but country now.

just4me
April 9th, 2016, 04:48 AM
Love classical music...makes me smile, makes me happy, makes me reflect.....makes me wish I had some musical ability rather than my feeble but blissful efforts at strumming out the odd welsh hymn (haltingly) on my harp! Even my harp teacher advised me that perhaps my money would be better spent elsewhere!!! Honest but blunt I guess! LOL

Bubby
April 9th, 2016, 08:16 AM
I grew up on Broadway musicals like Oklahoma, South Pacific, etc. It wasn't my specific taste but I remember the words to every song. I also love classical, especially Bach and Mozart.

Snip Snip
April 9th, 2016, 08:39 AM
Ah, The Purple People Eater! I had that as a 45, too! Shall I sing it for you?

MayinJerset
April 9th, 2016, 09:33 AM
Thanks for beginning this post. Never thought of music being a Big part of my life but it is as it does bring back many memories. Preteens, radio playing in the background while doing household chores, Big Saturday night treat was listening to The Hit Parade for the week's top pop songs. We had Music Appreciation in 6th grade - not surprising that we all knew William Tell Overture as it was the theme for the Lone Ranger radio show. Mid 50's in high school loved rhythm and blues that became Rock n Roll - remember where and who with I first danced to Rock Around The Clock. Alan Freed's Rock n Roll shows at the Brooklyn Paramount . Of course there's "our" song, Earth Angel, and so many others that bring back some good memories of people and places that affected my life. Sort of lost interest in pop music after the 80's, still like classics like The Eagles and after living in Jersey for 50+ years of course there's Bruce. Listened to classical music now and again, soothing while trying to relax. Maybe it's time to hook up with I Tunes.

Living in and now near NYC I did go to many Broadway shows as an adult, some opera too. Last big shows Wicked and Jersey Boys and lots of less known shows as cousin gets greatly discounted tickets. Lots of local performances too. A few years back we went to NY City Opera and the MET quite often, took grand daughters with us many times as well as to the ballet. Youngest grandkids Josi and Ben are real show fans as they see many Broadway and off Broadway shows with their Mom who a drama teacher. So, I would have to say Yes music is a Big part of my life.

MaryUK
April 9th, 2016, 07:02 PM
Music is a huge part of my life - well it should be as I am the leader of our music group at church!! I love all Christian music, the old traditional hymns and the new contemporary ones. I particularly enjoy Stuart Townend, theGetty's, Phatfish, Tim Hughes, Matt Redman, Rend Collective,Casting Crowns the list goes on........
I like country music and English folk music. As far as classical music goes, Debussy, Berlioz, Beethoven, Mozart in fact Ilike most classical music.
Now old musicals..well I cut my baby teeth on Oklahoma! Seven Brides, all of Gene Kelly's films, Judy Garland, Fred Astaire,Gordon McRae.............
I suppose I just love music but I always turn to Christian music when I'm crafting. Mary

kensington
April 9th, 2016, 07:06 PM
I listen to Golden Oldies when I sew or I watch an old movie... classic movies.

jjkaiser
April 9th, 2016, 08:14 PM
Classical, yes! Oh, Vivaldi! The Brandenberg concerto! I forced my kids to fall asleep listening to classical radio from babies until they were in about 5th grade when they rebelled..but they still like it today. I hardly have any CDs except Christmas, I have and love all the traditional stuff like the Mormon Tabernacle Choir. I am an atheist but have always loved church music!!

Midge
April 9th, 2016, 08:46 PM
Ah, The Purple People Eater! I had that as a 45, too! Shall I sing it for you?

Please. No. :lol:

But we can all join May in Jersey in singing together 'Earth Angel'. I remember in gym class in junior high we would get started on one of the do wop songs or things like Earth Angel and all sing along. Made that locker room ring. Looking back, I wonder how the teachers stood it.

alliek
April 9th, 2016, 08:54 PM
I also grew up on it and always retained a love of classical music and ballet.

LoveMyMachines
April 10th, 2016, 11:31 AM
Yes to classical here, though I throw in Rock & Roll, Big Band, Progressive Metal, Swing, Irish Reels, Country, and just about anything else that suits me at the moment!

If you like classical, try this one... Dvorak: American String Quartet no. 12 in F minor

You can literally hear the sounds of early America in the music.

songbird857
April 10th, 2016, 04:41 PM
I adore classical music - along with so many other genres (broadway, hip hop, pop, rock, jazz, etc...)
Totally grateful that my parents exposed me to practically every kind of music growing up :)
Loooove choral music...
my dad played in drum and bugle corps, my mom was a classical pianist (could have gone far, but opted to raise us!).
My daughter and I have been known to spontaneously write broadway/opera/classical songs while cleaning - the lyrics, of course, match whatever we are doing ;)
My breath gets taken away every time I am singing with a group and the harmonies just 'come together' - music is the heartbeat that God has given to me.
I look forward someday to hearing what music will be like in Heaven - it's so beautiful now, and it will only be better there!!

Shout out to MaryUK - Rend Collective is one of our faves ;)

WendyI
April 11th, 2016, 11:15 AM
I love classical music...mostly Baroque but anything that doesn't involve opera is fine. I appreciate the talent of an opera singer immensely...I just can't stand to listen to it. I also love me some heavy metal, country (new and oldies Patsy Cline, Merle Haggard RIP), Alternative and Classic Rock, Rockabilly and Bluegrass. Despise Rap and am not a fan of Jazz. Not a huge fan of the 80's pop rock but do enjoy the Indie bands (Nirvana), but there were some awesome 70's bands, Pink Flloyd, The Who etc. So I'm all over the place. But at work I do prefer classical/instrumental.

easyquilts
April 11th, 2016, 01:16 PM
I don't know much about classical music, but I do know I like Chopin...

SallyO'Sews
April 11th, 2016, 11:21 PM
Bachelor of Music in Applied Voice, Hartt School of Music (Univ. of Hartford), class of '78.
My favorite soprano of all time is Elly Ameling. Here she is singing some Schubert: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYbomphH-lM

I promised my high school voice teacher that if I went to music school I would not marry a musician; then I proceeded to marry one of the best singers I've ever met, who is also an accomplished pianist.

Today, I sing Gospel music with my DH and our children; I particularly love old school Ron Kenoly, Take Six, Larnelle Harris, and others. Here's a snippet of four of my kids: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWAiR1TC3Pc

dwil23
April 12th, 2016, 02:59 AM
I have never had a favorite music genre. I like (or dislike) individual songs and in some cases artists. I grew up with the Beatles, The Monkees, etc. I also got a good dose of Southern Gospel and other Christian music, which is what I listen to most these days in the car. At work there is a variety of music on the radio.

Sally - I can't watch your you-tube video here, but looking forward to seeing it at home!

Patty J
April 12th, 2016, 09:10 PM
I love classical music. I'm surprised that no one mentioned Rachmaninoff. I like Bach and Beethoven too. I need to get my cds in the sewing room and start listening to them again. Thanks for the post.