PDA

View Full Version : It's Fri-YAY

Blondie
April 8th, 2016, 07:07 AM

Hello Folksies!

It's Friday. The glorious day that most people look forward to. It hails the arrival of the weekend which is when most people end their pay job for the week and start in the mostly thankless job of working around the house. Me? Y'all know I love Fridays because I get to see people who inspire me, make me giggle, and all other sorts of good endorphins happen. My day starts pretty early - generally at the salon by 7 a.m. - first client about 7:30. Same for Saturday. While I also work on Thursdays it is what I call my pre work pretty work. I try to book chemical services for that day - perms, colors. Thursday is always a mixed bag. So when Friday arrives, it is my Fun Day.

May, after reading your post about gym uniforms yesterday, I thought about it while at work. I have never been good at any sports, gym stuff. Let me share what was for me worse than ugly uniforms. ( And they were ugly, non flatterly and the ones we had were white. ) When I was in 7th grade, I was the only girl in my gym class that actually needed a bra. That was an embarassing in itself. But when it came to shower time after gym? Our two gym teachers would hand us a towel and we had to walk past them buck nekked with one teeny tiny towel - the size I use in the salon. Wellsir, I refused to do that. I was failing gym because of that and ultimately sent to the principals office. When my dear Daddy got wind of this -( my parent's were not very involved in my school life with the exception of telling saying "I don't ever want to get a call from school about you". Uh oh.) So, Daddy was angry as a hornet when I told him about the towel, being nekked, and in general young girl angst. He actually took off of work one morning - which in itself was nothing short of another uh-oh, this is gonna be good - and had a conference with principal and both gym teachers. My Daddy was a very plain spoken person, he didn't beat around the bush about anything. They allowed him to go to the gym locker room, the shower room and then he told them how it was gonna be. I was able to use as many gym towels that I needed to cover myself properly using safety pins. Ultimately, I was able to bring my own towel - a huge beach towel - from home for gym. My Daddy, my hero.

I accomplished very little after work yesterday. I did make up some chickie salad for tonite's supper. I rarely cook on Friday's. When the kiddo's were little Friday's were Pizza Night. These days it is generally what's left over in the fridge.

Okay, my friends, I am off and ready to hit the floor running. Have a wonderful weekend. Stay safe, warm, and as always, smile! Those smiles can really warm up your heart.

Monique
April 8th, 2016, 07:36 AM
Good morning everyone. Well most of the snow we got is disappearing fast. As I was shoveling the driveway yesterday morning, my neighbour across the street came over and helped. It was weird shoveling and it was pouring rain.

I cut up fabric last night. Just not in the mood for sewing. I started cutting my strips 6" as I have a set of templates for that size. Today? Not sure.

Maizyn was supposed to have been put to sleep yesterday but she freaked out and would not even let them put that thing on her finger. So it was decided to put her under on the next appointment. They want to put a camera up her nose and also draw blood while she is under. My poor wee girl just doesn't do well with doctors.

Have a great weekend everyone.

ceiliam
April 8th, 2016, 07:42 AM
Morning all. I looked at my post yesterday, and decided I need to edit myself. I had my sewing class yesterday, and made one of those pop up tubes , I used a beautiful purple the dye fat quarter. It turned out great I am making a couple more. I started making a table runner for my sister that goes both ways. Going to put pockets on all 4 sides. It's going on her end table to help her keep all the stuff she needs. I hope to get my fox baby top quilt done today.
Hope everyone has a fabulous day. Cecelia

MRoy
April 8th, 2016, 07:49 AM
Good morning! Strong, plain spoken dads are the best! Blondie's story reminds me of my dad going to the school board after I kept complaining at home about the school bus driver always watching us older girls walk up those high bus steps in skirts (pants weren't allowed then) instead of keeping his eyes on the road. Next thing I knew we had a new bus driver. That's when I found out what Daddy had done.

It's freezing here...literally 32 degrees...and it's supposed to be like this all weekend. Oh well, I wasn't planning to go to Keeneland for the spring horse races anyway. I'll just bundle up in my sweats here at home.

Ginny B
April 8th, 2016, 08:01 AM
Yay! Hello Friday. :icon_wave: Going to be a busy morning. I need to stop and pick up a couple of "goodbye" gifts for two people who will be leaving today. One is actually transferring to a different department so we will see her occasionally but the other gal is leaving the agency. We will miss them both.

Tomorrow we have our Lily's christening so we will see a lot of family and friends. Then hopefully Sunday will have some time in my sewing room.

Time to pay some bills before leaving the house and then Friday will be in full swing. Have a wonderful Friday everyone.

Bubby
April 8th, 2016, 08:14 AM
Morning....Just a quick check in. Jeff's Mom and Sis arrive today and I want to have a carrot cake and a batch of oatmeal cookies made. The cookies are MILs favorite. They will be with us through Tuesday or Wednesday. The weather is rainy so we will be indoors a lot.

Monique, poor sweet Maizyn and her fear of doctors. I hope things get better for her as she gets older.

I applaud Dads who stand up for their kids. I went to a Catholic elementary school and I was often kept after school to practice my penmanship. The nun would smack my hands with a ruler until they were red and bruised. One day after she hit my hands I grabbed her hand and bit her and then ran away from her. I thought I would be in a world of trouble but my Dad was livid when he found out I was being abused. After a major meeting Dad took me out of that school. I was only in the second grade.

Don't you love the new tutorial. It would make such a darling baby quilt.

Wishing everyone a great day and weekend. Most likely I won't be back here until next week some time unless I can steal away.

Hugs All Around......

URIBARRI-MAYOR
April 8th, 2016, 08:42 AM
Hello everyone, I hope you have a good weekend. Blondie your comments have made me remember the past,"The school" I went to a school just for girls, the boys were in another and a little away that we did not see us, and our teachers were all women, in the upper course had a couple of teachers men but only certain classes and there was no shower so there was no problem towel. I never had a problem so my mother had to never go to school, my father was in the sea and was just one month a year at home, but my DH if he had a problem with a teacher who hit him,which allowed at that time, but came my FIL who was a very tall man and teacher who was very short hid because my FIL was ready to hit him as it had done with my DH, things remained quiet but my DH change of school because their parents did not agree with the teacherīs attitude, and the story does not end well, because ultimately that teacher was the FIL of an aunt of my DH so I was in some family parties, such as life. Good and after this story, I hope to have a good weekend like all of you, Greetings

MayinJerset
April 8th, 2016, 08:53 AM
Oh, Blondie, That was some awful gym experience - no wonder your Dad was your hero, Your Dad too Barb, those nuns were wicked with their rulers.

Monique, So sorry your little DGD has needle fear, I didn't do too well myself the other day at the orthopedic doctors.

Nice day today and as soon as I have my coffee I'll be able to appreciate it. PT and food shopping later - need to get something nice for dinner as DS#1 will be here, he leaves tomorrow on a medical mission to Honduras. Photo is from last year's mission. 128965

WendyI
April 8th, 2016, 09:45 AM
Morning all! Cold and wet day here. Not the most pleasant of springs to be sure. The poor tulips must be longing for their wee hidey holes after all this cold, snowy weather. I hope they make it!

Blondie, please tell me that at least your gym teachers were female?!? I think we all have school horror stories from back in the day. My junior public school used to strap children. They also used to have a half hour of bible study in the morning. While this may seem normal for some, this was in a public school, not a catholic school. As atheists, when my father and uncle found out they complained to the school. Their solution was to plunk my brother, our cousin and myself in the hallway with nothing to do and nowhere to sit. My brother ended up getting the strap for picking paint off the wall. We felt extremely ostracized and humiliated. We never did complain to our parents.

Nothing new here today. Going to "the big city" (Toronto) on Saturday to see a one woman comedy show with a friend and to celebrate her bday. Never did end up getting groceries so must do that today. Wishing you all a fantastic day! xox

toggpine
April 8th, 2016, 12:15 PM
It's Friday, but it looks like it might be a doozy.

Em & I have a haircut scheduled for this afternoon, and that is always a highlight of a day. Our stylist gives the most awesome shampoo and scalp massage along with a great cut. It took me a while to find someone who would cut my curly hair consistently and not just give Em a bowl cut. She has also turned into a nice friend in the process!

I had better get the coffee going so I can get the rest of today's battles fought before that little slice of heaven.
Make it a good one! Hugs, C

rebeccas-sewing
April 8th, 2016, 12:28 PM
Hallelujah! Rain is coming our way! I have one thing to say, if you ever decide to de-thatch your lawn by hand forget it. There's a wonderful de-thatcher machine that can be rented from Home Depot. After attempting to de-thatch with a special rake, about giving myself a heart attack, I discovered this wonderful machine on (where else?) Youtube. Joe got that baby revved up and had the front and back yards de-thatched in less than two hours. Yay! I was on clean up duty. That in itself was a back breaker. hahaha Now to sow some new grass. Lesson learned: check regularly to make sure those dang sprinklers are definitely working on all zones and running when they're supposed to run. Otherwise, you're gonna have some pretty pathetic looking lawn.

We are really getting paid back for all our years overseas. I miss apartment life!!!

SewnByBee
April 8th, 2016, 01:18 PM
Happy Friday everyone, yey.....to weekends...maybe I'll get some of my sewing done.......???? I never know what the plans are, lately it's a go with the flow kinda game plan. A girl can hope, RIGHT.

Monique, I feel you, my K is soooo the same way, the very reason, I am concerned about her and this baby delivery ..... I don't even know how to approach the conversation with her....she's so emotional right now anyway....but truly ......???? Oh dear......Bless them, both, it's sad to see them sooooo scared.
Barb, I hope you enjoy your company. Can't wait to hear how MIL likes her quilt. It's so beautiful.....
I would love to see her face, when she sees it...

We'll .. .:icon_wave: hope you all have a gfate weekend..

It's dogwood winter here, should be our last cold snap we have blooms everywhere... I hope you can see the Westerria on the fence row. It's stunning.
......128967 .......

cv quilter
April 8th, 2016, 03:29 PM
Picture doesn't come up, Bee. Happy Friday. Don't know what's going on with your daughter as I guess I haven't seen your posts.....will pray for a healthy, happy baby soon.

SewnByBee
April 8th, 2016, 03:57 PM
128973 sewnbybee@gnail.com

cv quilter
April 8th, 2016, 08:58 PM
Pretty,,, pretty! Happy Spring.