PDA

View Full Version : Handy man needed

LindaKay75
April 7th, 2016, 11:14 AM
I need a dependable all purpose handyman but I'm afraid as I live alone. Has anyone used that website "Angie's List"?
:icon_wave:

dwil23
April 7th, 2016, 11:25 AM
My sister uses it and found her contractor - 6 houses down the street! That was too funny!

That being said, I think you will pay quite a bit more for any contractors you find through them, but your peace of mind is worth something, too. If you can't find a referral from a trusted friend, it may be the way to go.

Good Luck!

Carlie Wolf
April 7th, 2016, 11:38 AM
I've never used a list like that. Generally I just ask around locally so I have references. Even then, like with the guy I get to do my lawn and occasionally do other odd jobs I only keep him in the house for a shortest period possible. I let any workmen know that I have a very large, aloof dog who does not want to be anyone's friend in the house. Personally, I think it's important that if you are older and live alone that you have a dog. Only once did someone try to enter my house without knocking and being given permission to come in. It had to be a person who did not know me or did not know me well as anyone who knows me knows that Carlie (dog) does not allow people into my house without my permission (and even then she is very watchful). Whoever it was opened the downstairs door, we were upstairs and Carlie heard it and we both went flying downstairs. Carlie, of course, sounded like she would rip them to shreds. By the time we got there, they had flown back out of the house and were nowhere to be seen. It was definitely a "my dog can do 0 to 60 in three seconds...can you?" situation.

So I definitely recommend....references from people you know and a dog who loves you very much!

asta
April 7th, 2016, 11:39 AM
I recently had the need for a handyman and could not find anyone who knew of one that was available, did not want to just go to the phone book-remember those-and pick so I called our church to see if they knew of any parishioners that did minor house repairs. They gave me several names of men that they use around the church.

Carolnnc
April 7th, 2016, 11:45 AM
I break out in a cold sweat when something needs fixing! I would ask people that you know: neighbors, coworkers, friends, the people who work at your doctor's and dentist office. If you go to a church or senior citizens center (don't know your age:) you can ask around. If you look around you may see the same older gentleman mowing several yards in your neighborhood and sometimes they do odd jobs or they may know someone who does. I wouldn't let anyone into my house if I was alone, even if I had to pay the teenage neighborhood boy to "babysit" me while someone was there. Good luck!

SallyO'Sews
April 7th, 2016, 11:59 AM
These are great suggestions, especially having a "buddy" with you when the repair guy comes. Hope it goes well!

LauraP
April 7th, 2016, 12:11 PM
Excuse me but are we being sexist today? There are a lot of very handy women out there who would be happy to help you. I always feel safer with a woman. Check with the house cleaners. They probably know someone they trust.

sassygranny
April 7th, 2016, 12:43 PM
I've used Angies List with good results. But, you have to do your homework. Use their list as a jumping off spot and do the research to confirm the ratings you find there. I've had really good results using a similar service called homeadvisor.com. It's free. I will probably go to them when I'm ready to take my next project on.

shirleyknot
April 7th, 2016, 12:46 PM
Agreed, Laura. I'm usually my own "handyman".

WendyI
April 7th, 2016, 01:04 PM
This has been the most painful part of my "grief" experience through my divorce recently. My ex did EVERYTHING ... car repairs, electrical, plumbing, drywall..you name it, he could do it. So when I need something done now the prospect of paying someone first makes me incredibly heartbroken, then frustrated beyond words, then determined to find a way to get it done. I JUST finished watching a video on how to do brakes on my car. NO WAY am I paying someone! Oil changes yes....I can't get under my car...but I sure can do my own brakes!

Sorry, that's not much help. I usually go via word of mouth through friends whenever I can. I also have a best friend who's husband is very handy also and she has agreed to lend him to me when needed. :D Good luck with your search! Once you find a good handy person, you'll keep them and feel better!

KarenC
April 7th, 2016, 01:18 PM
I have used Angie's list multiple times in the Houston, TX area. Actually, I just got a note to renew my membership. It's tough here just to get someone to show up, so I like using it and reading reviews before selecting a vendor.

Amarillo19
April 7th, 2016, 04:54 PM
We use Angie's List and have been pleased with the contractors we've used. I've tried Home Adviser but it wants your contact information before showing the contractors. But usually I'm not ready to commit, just shopping around. So I haven't used it.

Hulamoon
April 7th, 2016, 05:05 PM
I used Angie's list in Los Angeles doing my aunties house. I had to fix the windows which were rope pullies inside. That was pretty specialized. And then a screen installer. Very happy. Here at home I used a couple of people on Craigslist to move suff around so I could get new carpet in. Then another guy to tear down a rotten small deck. Again no prolems. I'm alone ,but just have a friend over if it makes you leary.

snippet
April 7th, 2016, 05:08 PM
I've used contractors from ThumbTack.com and liked it a lot. You describe your need and those who can do the work will submit bids. And it's free to join.

K. McEuen
April 7th, 2016, 05:19 PM
If you know a realtor ask them for references. They almost always have a list of handymen.

LindaKay75
April 7th, 2016, 06:02 PM
GREAT idea, never thought of that. I live in South FL and faced with a language barrier so cannot communicate too well with these Hispanics around me since I do not speak Spanish. I have asked in Home Depot, etc. but got no information. I'm retired and have lost contact with people and they moved away. Thank you.

ginasmimi
April 7th, 2016, 07:39 PM
If you live on Pine Island I could help you find someone !
My brother lives there.
I think asking your closest church is a great idea! You need not belong...just call and ask!
Best of luck!

GuitarGramma
April 7th, 2016, 07:49 PM
We have a greatly trusted handyman, and we found him on the recommendation of a Realtor. If a Realtor specializes in fixers, the handyman won't want to jeopardize his reputation with the Realtor.

I wish you luck, because I understand your worry. You're very smart to be careful in this day and age.

LauraP
April 7th, 2016, 11:55 PM
and now for the flip side of this problem.....my husband is a self-employed appliance repairman. Every so often he will ask me to do a "ride along" because he doesn't feel comfortable being alone with the homeowner. Once I am on the scene things go okay so I am happy to help.

dwil23
April 8th, 2016, 05:47 AM
and now for the flip side of this problem.....my husband is a self-employed appliance repairman. Every so often he will ask me to do a "ride along" because he doesn't feel comfortable being alone with the homeowner. Once I am on the scene things go okay so I am happy to help.

Too bad you are not closer - I have a dishwasher that needs repairing. Waited all day for someone yesterday and they never showed. You could come along and we could talk quilts while he fixed the dishwasher!

alliek
April 8th, 2016, 12:53 PM
My daughter was in a similar situation. Living over 600 miles away from us and having a house and working. She became a member of Angie's list and was pleased with this. She called several and they came over individually and she interviewed them and got their quotes. I think this would be a great idea for you. She did this because one time she used a "carpenter" (notice the quotes) that was doing work next door and the experience was horrible. I would call Angie's List.

LauraP
April 8th, 2016, 12:58 PM
You would like my husband. He schedules an exact time and if he is going to be more than 15 minutes late he calls and tells you. He's never more than 30 minutes late except for the day he was in a car wreck.
If your repairman comes you should wait until he hands you the bill, then subtract your lost days wages off it and pay him the balance. That's what doctors and lawyers do!
So what's wrong with your dishwasher? They are easy to work on and maybe you could do it yourself.