PDA

View Full Version : Serger Woes

Longstocking
April 6th, 2016, 05:57 PM
Where should I post questions that aren't about quilting but are about sewing?
I've posted before about my serger troubles. I finally got the needles today that I ordered. It took a bit but I also finally got the blasted thing to sew ... although I never could get the 2 thread hem to sew so I just went for a 3 thread. I have been pouring over the manual and sitting here fiddling with tension for about 3 hours now. I am going crazy. I have tried every combination of settings but my thread is still super loose. If thread is too loose do I turn the tension to a + or - number? Anyone know? I am just using a normal weight cotton fabric. I have a Pfaff hobbylock 4879.
Gaahhh - this is why I should stick to making quilts for my girls and not skirts. Then I don't have to deal with a serger.

K. McEuen
April 6th, 2016, 06:21 PM
Make sure your thread is firmly seated between the tension disks. Higher number equals tighter tension on my manual machines. Turn ONE dial then test. If you do more than one at a time you will never know which one is off.

Hulamoon
April 6th, 2016, 06:25 PM
On my old serger I would bring all the dials forward until they stop. Then you have a fresh start on how far to turn them. That was my manuals suggestion.

toggpine
April 6th, 2016, 06:30 PM
Oh! Waaaaay too mant knobs, dials, and electronic bits for me!

bubba
April 6th, 2016, 06:39 PM
I got my serger at an estate sale and it had no manual. Google was my best friend. I would suggest you check on that or youtube for videos. If that does not help, contact the store you bought it from.

MRoy
April 6th, 2016, 09:31 PM
The top and bottom loops are supposed to meet and lock on the edge of the fabric. If the top loops are being pulled to the back, you may need to increase the tension on the upper looper threads and also lower the tension on the lower looper threads.

Ahamblin
April 6th, 2016, 09:36 PM
I don't have that serger but I would start by rethreading it with three different colors of thread. That way you can tell which are causing the problem, needle and/or loopers. I agree with changing one thing at a time and seeing what that does. Do you have the manual or can you get one on the web? I just spent all day at a serger class and must say I love my serger.