PDA

View Full Version : credit card fraud

mario1360
April 6th, 2016, 11:59 AM
my goodness, what a shock...someone managed to purchase a trip worth $4 398.00 form Air Canada with my Credit card....why do people steal like that????

Hulamoon
April 6th, 2016, 12:25 PM
That happened to me too, but it was Italy. They bought things too. Lucky the bank caught it. They couldn't tell me the source though. I think it was a website I never used before around Christmas time. Sucks doesn't it.

irishrn
April 6th, 2016, 01:05 PM
It's getting too easy for the thrives. Glad the banks are on it. My thief made a purchase in EBay of India. And booked a hotel in Maryland!

mommadeb
April 6th, 2016, 01:59 PM
Mine was taking money out of an ATM at a train station in Norway.

Snip Snip
April 6th, 2016, 02:20 PM
So are the card holders responsible for any of the stolen amount? I heard it used to be the first $50.

mario1360
April 6th, 2016, 02:46 PM
I realized this while looking at my statement!!!!!
there should be no cost for me, thank heaven...

Pandabear
April 6th, 2016, 03:04 PM
I'm so sorry this happened to you. It's so frustrating that people think this is an acceptable practice to do to others.

A few months back I was hit with over $1000 in purchases I hadn't made. Two purchases were travel tickets. My card was still in my wallet, and after thinking about the last few purchases I made we *think* that there was a card skimmer at the gas station pump. There was no other place the card number could have been compromised.

Again... very frustrating!

mario1360
April 6th, 2016, 03:09 PM
gas stations are the top of the fraud list.

bubba
April 6th, 2016, 03:43 PM
Someone tried to phish me, but my credit union caught it before it went through. Only bad part was it was Christmas shopping time and it really put a damper on that!

My sister had her wallet stolen. The final total was over $65,000!!! They went thru an entire book of checks, plus ordered more! She ended up having to change her last name.

Bubby
April 6th, 2016, 03:52 PM
We have had that happen twice in the last 3 years.

K. McEuen
April 6th, 2016, 04:14 PM
In reading all the comments above, has anyone else noticed that the credit card thieves travel a lot more than we do?

Snip Snip
April 6th, 2016, 05:00 PM
I think someone is having a lot of illegal fun!

GaGa
April 6th, 2016, 05:05 PM
I had a credit card compromised that I ONLY use for Amazon and M* purchases! The credit card company caught it and issued me a new card. I was not responsible for any if the charges but it does make me wonder how it happened since I never use it elsewhere. Crooks and thieves are very clever!

Judy, USMC
April 6th, 2016, 08:48 PM
When my mom's card was hijacked it was when the gas prices were over $3.00/gal. Evidently the thief was generous with his neighbors. They lined up at the gas pumps and about 20 cars filled up along with their gas cans. Luckily the card was refused when it reached the $1,000 limit she had self-imposed. And there were cameras at the pumps that captured all the license plates.

Wouldn't it be fun to be at the airport or be at the motel when these crooks actually tried to check in?

kensington
April 6th, 2016, 08:54 PM
Someone tried to use my card numbers once... they had written them down when I was in he Drive through of Kentucky Fried Chicken at Cameron Mo when I had gone to M* to shop and stopped to eat on my way home. LOL

My bank caught it. She said... you bought fabric in Hamilton Mo and 30 minutes later you were buying things in California... I knew something was not right with that. LOL. (the KCF employee had passed them to someone in Calf)

They don't blink if I use my card in 8 different M* shops in one day... but they know I can't get to California that fast. ROTFLOL.

alliek
April 6th, 2016, 09:29 PM
I realized this while looking at my statement!!!!!
there should be no cost for me, thank heaven...

I would call your credit card company and ask to be notified BEFORE anyone makes a large purchase for travel etc . I am surprised they did not notify you when this was done. Anything out of the ordinary on the account should be a flag.

easyquilts
April 6th, 2016, 09:43 PM
Good Grief! So sorry to hear this.... And you didn't even get to go anywhere!

grammaterry
April 6th, 2016, 09:50 PM
Man, I can't imagine what you all must have gone thru. The sheer time involved in getting it all cleared up. Technology! Ain't it great!

redcaboose1717
April 6th, 2016, 10:24 PM
Cross my fingers....it has never happened to me. I have 3 friends that it has happened to though....2 of them their banks catch it, and the other one the credit union they belong to caught it.....

rebeccas-sewing
April 6th, 2016, 10:35 PM
My husband set it up with our bank so I get email alerts for transactions that take place on my credit card. I think it's over a certain amount because I use my card a lot and I don't get emails all the time. Joe says it can also be set up to alert by mobile phone. Something you all might want to look into. I imagine other banks have the same benefit. I'm also trying to be better about regularly checking my accounts to make sure there is no fraudulence taking place. I know some of these thieves will charge small amounts that might not be noticed if one isn't checking carefully. It's a shame we have to deal with this problem. There will always be thieves in our world - sad but true.

songbird857
April 6th, 2016, 10:38 PM
Someone used my department store card to buy a gift card on Christmas! I called them and they said that they had a lot of problems over Christmas. I put a block on my card that could only be lifted by a verbal password over the phone; once the charge was removed, I cancelled the card.
I love technology, but I hate that dishonest people ruin the benefit.

carolynrae
April 7th, 2016, 02:29 AM
I took my husband out for dinner on our anniversary November 4th. My card was declined, I laughed and said try it again, (I retired from the bank and I knew my card was ok). I had to use another card and called them the minute I got home, they saw a charge in the south east for 3500 to a construction type co. They blocked card, issued new one, but they did tell me who the charge was made with. I looked the co. up on the internet and facebook. FB page was opened in October, showed a mobile home sitting on cinder blocks on the side of a hill and did not look authentic at all. These thief's work with people all over the world and send card numbers to different groups and most times they are all over the world when they are phishing and pick up your number. It costs companies billions a year....and there is no charge to the customer at all as long as you report something you see on your statement that is not yours. The only time I saw someone charged the 50.00 was when a lady saw a charge but just didn't have time to report it ....give me a break.

Pandabear
April 7th, 2016, 07:38 AM
In reading all the comments above, has anyone else noticed that the credit card thieves travel a lot more than we do?

I do wonder about this. And if maybe its a weird way to get money without actually traveling. Mine was for a travel agency out of the country so it got me thinking if they were actually a travel agent at all. If this makes any sense. It's hard to think this early in the morning.

Pandabear
April 7th, 2016, 07:40 AM
My husband set it up with our bank so I get email alerts for transactions that take place on my credit card. I think it's over a certain amount because I use my card a lot and I don't get emails all the time. Joe says it can also be set up to alert by mobile phone. Something you all might want to look into. I imagine other banks have the same benefit. I'm also trying to be better about regularly checking my accounts to make sure there is no fraudulence taking place. I know some of these thieves will charge small amounts that might not be noticed if one isn't checking carefully. It's a shame we have to deal with this problem. There will always be thieves in our world - sad but true.

We get mobile alerts if the bank thinks something weird is going on. I also check my bank online a number of times during the day. Takes a few minutes and most transactions show up as soon as the card is used.

WendyI
April 7th, 2016, 09:44 AM
Thieves would be pretty disappointed if they tried to use my credit card! LOL! I get email alerts on my mobile banking every time I make a purchase over $200..which I rarely do unless it's groceries...and now that I'm on a much tighter budget I check my account regularly so it would be difficult for thieves to get much from me.

The most annoying thing about this is while we may not be on the hook for the amount they charge on our cards, we DO pay for it in the extremely high interest rates we pay on credit cards. Technology is great but it does worry me sometimes how dependent on it society has become.

Snip Snip
April 7th, 2016, 10:12 AM
Wendy, the way to beat that is to pay off your credit card every month. Of course I couldn't do that for many years but now I do, thankfully. The industry calls people like me "deadbeats" because they aren't making any $$ off me. Haha.

WendyI
April 7th, 2016, 01:07 PM
Wendy, the way to beat that is to pay off your credit card every month. Of course I couldn't do that for many years but now I do, thankfully. The industry calls people like me "deadbeats" because they aren't making any $$ off me. Haha.

LMAO! Oh Sweetie! If only I could! Sadly they make lots off me since I moved because I needed stuff for my new place...drapes and bathroom things and a sofa bed for my spare room and a few other things, not to mention a summer holiday last year...so my card is "up there". Going to get a part-time job to pay it off then I will follow your advice!!