PDA

View Full Version : Owl Be Stitchin the Night Away!

toggpine
April 5th, 2016, 03:10 AM
Maybe not the whole night as I slept really poorly last night.

I'm making an iron caddy, or two, and I'm finally getting the binding sewn down. It would probably go faster if I didn't change thread colors all of the time. It bugs me to have weird threads all over the place. I put grey in the bobbin to match the heat resistant fabric and the purple in the spool to match the binding. Then the next one I need green in the spool, until I go to the next step, then I need green top and bottom 'cause the grey would look weird.
Does anyone else do this when they are making the same project in multiple colors?

What's up in your neck of the woods?
Cathy

Granny Judy
April 5th, 2016, 03:40 AM
Don't know about "changing threads" so often.. I try and keep what ever I started with, til the project is done. Not very goo with multi-tasking lots of sewing items.

I finally got the flimsy done with all the vintage blocks I had. Now I am trying to decide what fabric to use for the backing.. solid or period repo from the 30's. But it is done and I can have my eye surgery without having it hanging on the design wall.

I want to get a dog tooth border on one of the Orphan's sent to me last year (26 x 26 square piece). I think I have the right triangle now.. It's the 45 degree one.. And I'm really liking the way it is looking now.128784

This added 6 inches all around the outer edges. I may look and see if I have some more stash fabric to match and do another wide border.. just depends right now on what the finished size will be.

MayinJerset
April 5th, 2016, 03:53 AM
Hi Cathy, I'm up but not stitching the night away. Must have fallen asleep with my foot in a weird position as a sharp pain in my right ankle that woke me up and by the time it stopped I was wide awake. Oh, that recorder and/or instrument practice can really get to you. What was it for? To make kids love good music? Didn't work for our sons. They all played in grammar school bands and dropped the instruments in high school for SPORTS.

Haven't been a Night Owl lately, just up for a potty break and/or a drink and then back to bed. So Wintery the past few days and nights that I feel the need to stay in my nest snuggled under a cozy quilt. Going to take a quick fly around to see what everyone has been up to and then back to my nest.

toggpine
April 5th, 2016, 04:34 AM
It is the same project, just one in purple, one in green, and one that looked best with black thread. I could do all of the same steps at the same time, but obviously the purple thread would looked on the green fabric. Therefore, instead of finishing one whole item and then starting another, I just change threads and keep going. Until reached the point where I had to decide if I wanted colored thread running across the grey heat resistant fabric.
Any wobbles in stitching would be very visible, so I opted for grey. Great, until I needed to sew down the binding, then I needed the same color top and bottom. To help reinforce some of the handles and closures machine stitching was the best way to finish the binding,so back to grey on the HR fabric.
Don't get me wrong, it looks great and is totally worth it. I just wondered if anyone else does this when they know the stitching will be seen.

SisterDi
April 5th, 2016, 04:42 AM
Hello ladies!

I'm not so fond of changing thread colors, and I have done it. I regret not putting monofilament in my bobbin while ditch quilting one block in the quilt I'm binding now. there are stars on the front and back in the same position, and I lined them up well, but I forgot that they were wonky stars. :0 The ditch quilting is a bit off on those back legs...clear thread would have fixed it. I've got this one and its triplets to bind, and I'll finally be finished with my "consignment".

Judy, your orphan is going to be beautiful!

kimsophia
April 5th, 2016, 05:12 AM
Yeah, I was going to say that monofilament was the answer, although the last time I tried to use it, I could not get the tension adjusted right and gave up. I wonder if I have a little piece of it stuck in the machine somewhere. But regular thread works fine.

I am stitching away on the Easter Egg Sampler. I'm still having a good time. I've been looking online at non-cut white stitching that looks like hardanger. I cannot count threads for beans nor line up horizontal bars.

Wow, did anyone watch that NCAA final game? Whooie! Buzzerbeater! Very exciting! I even got that pick right out of the two teams!

toggpine
April 5th, 2016, 02:06 PM
I haven't played with the monofilament thread much.
I really felt that since this is an iron caddy/ironing pad I should use 100% cotton to keep any melting from exposure to repeated heat to a minimum.
My best recollection of dealing with monofilament, was a piece of it constantly unraveling from a comforter when I was a kid. Probably not the best way to be introduced to the product! I'm sure they have improved the material over the years, and I have two spools in my stash to work with ... one of these days.