PDA

View Full Version : Your impressions of Windows 10? Feedback, please.

JCY
April 4th, 2016, 10:12 PM
I'm currently taking a Windows 10 Basics class through my local senior center. Had the first class today; next one is Wed. My initial impressions are so-so. It seems like it takes a lot more steps to get to where you want navigate. We have till late July to do the free upgrade, after which it will cost $120. One person told me that I would love W-10. "It's like W-7 on steroids!" I've been perfectly happy with W-7. There will be support for it only till 2020, after which everything will be W-10. Someone else said it takes 3-4 hrs. to do the upgrade.

Anyway, I'd appreciate any feedback about what you like or don't like about Windows 10. At this point, I'm undecided.

KPH
April 4th, 2016, 10:48 PM
My laptop has 10... but I still use my good ol' Vista (desktop). My DH, DS, DS, DDIL all love it. I guess when my desktop dies I'll have to upgrade and use it.

K. McEuen
April 4th, 2016, 10:49 PM
I like Win 10. I finally upgraded a few weeks ago. I was running 8.1 (which I did not like at all.) Win 10 is very similar in appearance to Win 7. A few things are different, but nothing major that I have run into yet. I have noticed that my laptop shuts down a LOT quicker when I turn it off. 8.1 took forever.

The upgrade does take a L O N G time. I had mine set to go in the middle of the night, of course it was still doing it when I woke up and wanted to get on the computer.

Jean Sewing Machine
April 4th, 2016, 11:00 PM
I just bought a Win 10 laptop. I got it going but got interrupted in the middle of the set up. When I went back to it the next day, it would not recognize my password, so I can't even start to use it! Frustrated!

Sandy Navas
April 4th, 2016, 11:05 PM
I've been using Windows 10 since it first came out and love it. No issues at all. But, I do have the convenience of having a computer guru close at hand . . . not that I would trust him with my machine!!

Hulamoon
April 4th, 2016, 11:07 PM
I asked this not too long ago. The pop up popped up and asks you to schedule a download and nothing happens. It just says please wait.

Snip Snip
April 4th, 2016, 11:07 PM
I'm not crazy about it, but I had to buy a new laptop a while back, and it came with 10.

shirleyknot
April 4th, 2016, 11:08 PM
Since my old computer with win7 took a nosedive a week ago, I've been forced to use this laptop with win10, and I hate it to pieces. Nothing works the way I am used to, and I can't find anything. I REALLY miss my simple games, and can't get them back.

SallyO'Sews
April 4th, 2016, 11:24 PM
I upgraded from 8.1 (which I had no problems with) to 10 a couple of months ago, and it's okay, BUT!!! For a number of weeks, my laptop could not find the WiFi connection in our house, so I had to go down to the basement and use the ethernet cable if I wanted to go online. So no Jenny and no Spotify while sewing. GRRRRR!!!!! Since the laptop is 20 months old, Hewlett-Packard would not help me unless I signed up for "unlimited" customer service calls to the tune of $180 a year. Finally my DS3 took it to his house and he tried for an entire evening to fix it (he understands tech-lingo). He sent it back to me via DS8, who said, "Sorry, Mom, Josh couldn't get it to work." So back to the basement I went. When I turned it on, there was a pop-up window that suggested I reset the cable modem. So I pulled the plug on the modem (it was late enough that DH was already in bed, the TV was off, and no one would be wanting to call our landline), plugged it back in, and lo and behold, it works! No issues since then. Josh swears it's a bona fide miracle, and I'm pretty sure he's right.

SallyO'Sews
April 4th, 2016, 11:32 PM
Also, for me at any rate, I think there are two factors that make switching to a new software system difficult:

The first is my age - at 60, I just have a harder time "unlearning" the old way and "relearning" new stuff. Also, I admit that in my dotage I'm becoming something of an old fogey - if it ain't broke, don't fix it! :icon_razz:

The second is that as a quilter, I'm very visual-spatial oriented. When the screen icons either don't look the same or appear in a different location, it throws me for a loop. Had the same problem last summer when they "upgraded" our software system at work. :icon_shake:

bubba
April 5th, 2016, 02:12 AM
I never have downloaded it. MM was one of the beta testers for it (he is a computer guru, much like I am the Bag Lady) and he does not care for it at all, so I never bothered with it.

Bjvarizona
April 5th, 2016, 03:14 AM
2020 is far enough away we are not upgrading. Hubby is also a computer guru and he figures they are likely to extend service to win7 beyond 2020 because they won't have the bugs worked out of win10 by then! If you have two computers, try it on one before you cut yourself off from the world! We would miss you here.

MayinJerset
April 5th, 2016, 04:29 AM
I'm staying with my present Windows, only problem is that my computer is getting slow and sometimes it takes quite awhile before I can view some web sites. It's like me slow but dependable and familiar.

URIBARRI-MAYOR
April 5th, 2016, 06:56 AM
Iīve seen this question and I loved it,I take a couple of months wondering if I download W10 or not and none people I know gave me an opinion, so these comments leave me happy, the other day I take my computer to a friend he is working arrangements and told me that his quiet with my old machine and do not download and asīll have to buy another when I will have to stop working because it will come installed W10. So thanks for your information, is magnificent, this forum is amazing

Snip Snip
April 5th, 2016, 08:09 AM
You know, some of the issues I have with my laptop is that it is not very expensive, a Lenovo Flex 3. It is slow, and much too sensitive for my old creaky fingers. I do kind of like the touch screen, especially to enlarge a photo that I can't see well. I have never figured out the photo storing system. And this thing doesn't even have a CD/DVD player. I took the laptop home in a box and figured out the set up myself, so I am lucky it works at all, I guess!
If given a choice, I would take my old windows 7 back.

Iris Girl
April 5th, 2016, 08:34 AM
My son the guru does not like it so we stay with the old.

Dollyquilts
April 5th, 2016, 10:52 AM
I haven't switched from Windows 7 yet. If I had my druthers, I'd still be on XP.

MRoy
April 5th, 2016, 11:24 AM
I upgraded my laptop from Windows 7 to 10 a few weeks ago. There was an issue with the desktop constantly refreshing. I got online and found a forum where others were having this problem. It was suggested that a particular app be uninstalled as a fix. I did this, it fixed the problem, and it's been fine since. There's a learning curve, but it's not as bad as I expected. Like Karen said, my laptop shuts down much faster now.

My desktop is still running Windows 7. DS tried to upgrade it to 10 and it wouldn't recognize my Lexmark printer/copier/fax. I've had this printer for several years and there are no new drivers available to update it. I don't want to buy another one right now (and teach DH how to print a copy again) so we put it back to Windows 7.

mommadeb
April 5th, 2016, 11:49 AM
I have W7 and I'm going to keep it as long as possible. I talked to my computer gurus and they both said to stay away from W10. I'm in the market for a new 'puter, but everything here is either Toshiba with W8 or HP with W10. I have not found anywhere that I can custom build a computer here and it is not possible to have it done and sent here. I want a new HP without W10. :icon_rolleyes:

Also, have you noticed how flimsy the cover is on new computers?? Holy cow! Guess I'll just keep my 8 year old Dell going. She's holding on....

Hulamoon
April 5th, 2016, 11:53 AM
I have W7 and I'm going to keep it as long as possible. I talked to my computer gurus and they both said to stay away from W10. I'm in the market for a new 'puter, but everything here is either Toshiba with W8 or HP with W10. I have not found anywhere that I can custom build a computer here and it is not possible to have it done and sent here. I want a new HP without W10. :icon_rolleyes:

Also, have you noticed how flimsy the cover is on new computers?? Holy cow! Guess I'll just keep my 8 year old Dell going. She's holding on....

Dell will customize online.Well that was the last time I shopped for one.

shirleyknot
April 5th, 2016, 12:00 PM

If you have an older computer with licensed win7 on it, you can have it taken from the old one and installed on the new one.

JCY
April 5th, 2016, 03:19 PM
All these comments are very helpful! Thanks! I take the 2nd class tomorrow. I'll think it over long & hard before making a change. What I learned from the first class yest. is that it seems like it takes longer -- more steps (clicks) to get to where you want to navigate. Terminology has changed, too. It's no longer "Internet Explorer"; it's "Edge." The programs have been renamed "apps." The items on your desktop screen now are called "tiles". Our senior center offers great service to us seniors with all the computer classes it offers. At age 73, I don't question my ability to adjust to the new system, but do I want to? I like W-7 & have been very satisfied with it. I have all my Favorites (like M*) right where I can click on them with 1 click. So...the jury still is out.

Wwena
April 5th, 2016, 03:22 PM
I use it at work and I really like it. Sure there were some trouble with some drivers that weren't super in the beginning but it seems to have stabilized now.

I don't think you will be able to escape it, in the end. :) Just go for it and get it now that many others are and you can get your questions answered easily through your teachers.

Aussiejan
April 5th, 2016, 09:13 PM
I do not like it at all! I feel like I have been ambushed! My system was W7. Easy to navigate and understand. What happened to the KISS principle! W10 to me is convoluted - Bells (I do not want to ring) and whistles (I do not want to blow)!!! If I could have my W7 back I would. W10 is frustration plus for me! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

songbird857
April 5th, 2016, 09:36 PM
I have 10 and like it. Like any 'new' thing, there is a learning curve. It's not the most intuitive thing on the planet, but I've had no major issues :)

SisterDi
April 5th, 2016, 10:35 PM
Windows 10 bricked my Windows 7 laptop. I had no backup, and I lost everything. Not a fan at all, but have to get over it because 10 is in the new, cheapo replacement. I was told after the fact that you should not upgrade if your computer was made before 2013. Many issues. :(

WendyI
April 5th, 2016, 10:39 PM
Windows 10 is more user friendly (or it's supposed to be). I have no issues with it. ***Vista*** ****SHUDDER**** I have 10 on my main computer and 7 on my laptop. My laptop is not long for this world so I haven't upgraded to 10 yet...I probably should.

JCY
April 6th, 2016, 12:52 AM
Hmmm. I bought my laptop in Oct. 2010, so maybe it's a moot topic for this computer.

redcaboose1717
April 6th, 2016, 04:33 AM
I really don't mind it....and I don't see too much difference it in. The only thing that you have to do when downloading it to get your email from your internet provider is to go to the top of the page ( in Edge ) where the three dots are, click on that and then scroll down to settings :
then scroll down and click on : A Specific Page below this is a box and inside the box is : MSN,BING, & CUSTOM. Click on CUSTOM.
Below that you will see a box that says "enter a web address". This is where you put your internet provider : XYZ ( or whatever yours is )
That's it....that's all you have to do. You no longer need to download Internet Explorer. When you sign into Windows 10, if you want to use your internet provider page, it's at the top of the page now. All you have to do is click on it....Voila !
When you want to go to places such as Missouri Star Quilt Company, just type in Missouri Star Quilt Company at the bottom of the screen ( to the left ) and it will come up for you to click on.
I don't have any issues at all with windows 10 and I have never taken a single class for it. I will admit it was a little difficult to get used to, but after awhile, it's old hat now.
As for taking 3-4 hours to download Windows 10.....I will ask my DH John that question for you, I can't imagine it taking that long, but maybe it did, I just wasn't paying attention. He puts all the security on our PC and does all the changes such as Windows 10 too. Personally DH dislikes Windows 10, but I figure this way, I didn't care for Windows XP when we first got it either,but I learned to like it....so you do what you have to do. I would much rather get used to something that these security systems & Microsoft supports than not. I will be perfectly honest.....I did like Windows 7 a lot...and honestly I am not having a lot of trouble with Windows 10.
JCY....
I will have an answer for you as soon as John wakes up. ( I am a night-owl....he is sleeping right now )

Tina W
April 6th, 2016, 09:46 AM
I just get a new computer with windows 10 love it, it is so much better than windows 8.1. My new computer is also a touch screen not used to that yet. I am taking an embroidery boot camp this July and will be using this new computer to download software to it, hope I understand it all. Everyone have a great day I am going to try to get some sewing in today.:icon_hi:

snippet
April 7th, 2016, 06:03 AM
I have Windows 10 and love it. It's not difficult to get it personalized to how you like it. Been using it for a while.