PDA

View Full Version : Help! Love my transom...but!

WendyI
April 4th, 2016, 07:30 PM
Hope this is the correct place to post this. I need help.

When I first found my place one of the things I loved about it is the huge window in my master bedroom. It was a sunny day and the sun shining through felt a bit like hope to me.

Fast forward to me living here for almost a year and I'm ready to put cardboard in the transom!

It's SO BRIGHT! Which is fine when I WANT to wake up! But on days when I have a migraine or just want to sleep in...it's maddening! I have tried using sleep masks but they're all horrible and make my eyeballs sweat! I also use a CPAP machine so they're not the best fit. AND the bird sleeps in my room so when the sun is up, so is she...which means then that I am as well. uhg. I know soon enough my body is going to stop letting me sleep late but for now I'd like to enjoy it while I can! I am a night person and love my naps! This is really interfering with my life! lol

I went to a local draperies shop here in town to see what I could order. I had a budget of $300 that I would be willing to spend...this is how much this was driving me looney! The ONLY thing they could offer was a custom made wooden shutter affair...to the tune of $1200!! I RENT! NOT HAPPENING!

So! If ANYONE has any patterns, websites or suggestions on what to do to cover this window I'm all ears. I believe this may be my first new sewing project!

mischiefkat
April 4th, 2016, 07:41 PM
Too bad the top of the transom isn't straight all the way across then Roman shade might work. They are easy to make. hm Someone will come along with a great idea. kathy

Mom23
April 4th, 2016, 07:54 PM
I have a round top window that was bright as well. Try purchasing long curtains and hang the curtain rod above the entire window.

120 Inches,Blackout Curtains - Overstock.com - Stylish Drapes. (http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Curtains/Blackout,120-Inches,/product-features,length,/6420/subcat.html)

K. McEuen
April 4th, 2016, 07:56 PM
Look around at some import stores for a couple large Japanese fans. You can open them and sit them on the lower sill and lean them back against the window. It won't block all the light but it will help and should be well within your budget.

MayinJerset
April 4th, 2016, 07:57 PM
A roman shade is a good idea, you could hide the whole transom. I make faux roman shades using flat yardage of drapery weight fabrics, prints or neutrals to go with the room. I make rod pockets on the top and bottom and insert rods with decorative ends and I have window coverage without all the work. Not every expensive either. You could line the fabric also, that certainly would keep the sun from peeking in through the transom.

Sharyn J
April 4th, 2016, 08:06 PM
My sister used this decorative film for her porch. It's a self-stick vinyl that you put on with a squeegee. She used a stained glass pattern and it was easy and inexpensive. It 's also very easy to remove, no sticking or glue residue. Most home improvement and wallpaper stores carry it.

Amazon.com - Coavas Creative Flower Self-adhesive Decorative Window Film, Stained Glass Film(17.7-by-78.7Inch) - (http://www.amazon.com/Coavas-Creative-Self-adhesive-Decorative--78-7Inch/dp/B012F2A0Y6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1459810707&sr=8-1&keywords=stained+glass+films)

http://www.amazon.com/bofeifs-Designer-Barthroom-Adhesive-17-7x78-7/dp/B011NOIIJG/ref=pd_sim_201_2?ie=UTF8&dpID=61wVW1Rj5zL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=144QC6E9MD075F53W8ZQ

redcaboose1717
April 4th, 2016, 08:11 PM
First, find a cover for the bird cage, so that when it's covered he /she will sleep more......Second, if your Cpap doesn't fit right, take it back. Most of the masks & tubings need to be replaced every 12 wks I think ( my DH Terry had sleep Apnea, and he passed away in 2002, so I can't remember now how often the mask he wore ( he did finally try and liked the nose pillow, but they took some getting used to.) was changed. I do remember Terry faithfully washing the tubing in ivory dish soap daily too....

I was looking around and found this window film by the 3M company.....and you can get this so that it completely blocks out light. Lowe's has it. Here's the link for it. ( I went to the site for Lowes in Canada )
https://www.lowes.ca/search/Privacy-Window-Film.html?iterm=Privacy-Window-Film

dwil23
April 4th, 2016, 08:12 PM
What about a piece of foamcore, cut to the shape of the window and then upholstered with some batting and a beautiful fabric? When you move, the foamcore could be discarded and the fabric can be added to your stash if you use cotton.

Monique
April 4th, 2016, 08:13 PM
Hi Wendy. It may not be the ideal solution but put another curtain rod across the top and make a short curtain to cover the window.

Found this: Redi Arch Pleated Fabric Window Shade

Buy Redi Arch Pleated Fabric Window Shade from Bed Bath & Beyond (http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/1/1/47704-redi-arch-pleated-fabric-window-shade.html)

I did a search on arched curtain rods.

Good luck.

shirleyknot
April 4th, 2016, 08:20 PM
Go to an auto supply store and buy some of that window darkening film they put in cars. Some of it is REALLY dark. Its also not terribly expensive and easy to install.

Vonnie
April 4th, 2016, 08:54 PM
Cut some cardboard to the exact size and cover it with pretty fabric. Then just prop it in the window.

CraftySweetPeas
April 4th, 2016, 09:22 PM
What about a piece of foamcore, cut to the shape of the window and then upholstered with some batting and a beautiful fabric? When you move, the foamcore could be discarded and the fabric can be added to your stash if you use cotton.
This was my thought as well.

LauraP
April 4th, 2016, 10:41 PM
One Meter Bendable Plastic Metal Alloy Rod Window Curtain Track | eBay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/One-Meter-Bendable-Plastic-Metal-Alloy-Rod-Window-Curtain-Track-/151910266768?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368)

SallyO'Sews
April 4th, 2016, 11:45 PM
I have nothing to suggest; I just wanted to say that this thread is why I love this forum! So many great, creative ideas! Love you all!
:icon_bump::icon_bump:

Bjvarizona
April 5th, 2016, 03:26 AM
Wendy, so glad you are back! You have been missed. There should be a solution to you sunlight problem among all of these suggestions. Let us know what you do. How about using your room for your sewing and sleep in the smallest bedroom? Do you have three bedrooms? Not s serious suggestion but, hey, it's a thought!

kaydee
April 5th, 2016, 12:02 PM
I'd probably get the kind of blinds that close from the bottom and move up.

rebeccas-sewing
April 5th, 2016, 01:08 PM
I googled curved curtain rods and looked at images. Curved rods do exist. You just need to do some research online. I'll bet you'll find what you're looking for.

rebeccas-sewing
April 5th, 2016, 01:14 PM
I think Sugar's idea would be the easiest solution.
First, find a cover for the bird cage, so that when it's covered he /she will sleep more......Second, if your Cpap doesn't fit right, take it back. Most of the masks & tubings need to be replaced every 12 wks I think ( my DH Terry had sleep Apnea, and he passed away in 2002, so I can't remember now how often the mask he wore ( he did finally try and liked the nose pillow, but they took some getting used to.) was changed. I do remember Terry faithfully washing the tubing in ivory dish soap daily too....

I was looking around and found this window film by the 3M company.....and you can get this so that it completely blocks out light. Lowe's has it. Here's the link for it. ( I went to the site for Lowes in Canada )
https://www.lowes.ca/search/Privacy-Window-Film.html?iterm=Privacy-Window-Film

Mary Lynn
April 5th, 2016, 03:56 PM
Hang the curtain rod above the transom and straight across window. Either make or buy longer drapes ( or add border to existing). That way you can open drapes during day and show off pretty window, close to darken room for sleeping. These windows look great but are difficult to put drapes on any other way. I have had transom so in three homes and this time made sure all windows have straight tops

songbird857
April 5th, 2016, 09:42 PM
Wendy, so nice to see you!! I've been less active here the past month or so, not sure when you got back :)
I think the foam core idea is perfect! Very inexpensive, extremely lightweight, and super easy to do.
Just cut the foam so that it is snug enough to just squeeze into the area; make a fitted pillowcase out of whatever fabric you like - home dec would be lovely - use hem tape on the bottom after you insert the foam and Voila!!

WendyI
April 5th, 2016, 10:23 PM
Thanks for all the amazing suggestions!!

I have a round top window that was bright as well. Try purchasing long curtains and hang the curtain rod above the entire window.

Sadly hanging curtains to go straight across won't work. I know it's not clear from the picture but the ceiling about 4 feet out into the room is "curved" to match the window. So the ceiling slopes down with the window. I know I'm not explaining that well...here is a pic so you can see what I mean.

One of my first sewing projects will be to make a cover for her cage for sure. As for the CPAP...I've been using it for over 18 years now. It's not the mask it's the eye cover sleeping masks you can buy...you know they look like the shape of a fabric peanut and cover your eyes? They normally work okay but not great when you try to put a CPAP mask over top of them.

Now I have to Google foamcore! But this sounds like the most promising idea so far.

Wendy, so glad you are back! You have been missed. There should be a solution to you sunlight problem among all of these suggestions. Let us know what you do. How about using your room for your sewing and sleep in the smallest bedroom? Do you have three bedrooms? Not s serious suggestion but, hey, it's a thought!

HA! I have a king sized bed which would not fit in my spare room and I LOVE MY BED!! I do love the window in my room and most days it's lovely to wake up to bright sunshine! It's when I have migraines or need to sleep in that it becomes an issue. Thanks for the welcome back! :icon_kiss:

Wendy, so nice to see you!! I've been less active here the past month or so, not sure when you got back :)
I think the foam core idea is perfect! Very inexpensive, extremely lightweight, and super easy to do.
Just cut the foam so that it is snug enough to just squeeze into the area; make a fitted pillowcase out of whatever fabric you like - home dec would be lovely - use hem tape on the bottom after you insert the foam and Voila!!

Home dec? hem tape? Off too Google some more! Now to decide what fabric do I want? I also do stained glass and had considered doing a dark piece over it but that will take some time and most of my stained glass tools are in storage still...really must get those back!

Thanks everyone for the amazing ideas!! I really missed you guys!!! xoxox

CraftySweetPeas
April 5th, 2016, 11:12 PM
You could post on a free-share or recycle list or Craigslist for a piece of foam or styrofoam that measures bigger than you need, cut it down (make a paper template first) and then cove it with pretty fabric. Or make a quilt to stick to a piece of foam and wedge in that space. I'd make one to look like the sunrise.

Bjvarizona
April 6th, 2016, 01:54 AM
Don't forget to consider what it will look like from the outside!

Lyndaj
April 6th, 2016, 10:26 AM
My sister used this decorative film for her porch. It's a self-stick vinyl that you put on with a squeegee. She used a stained glass pattern and it was easy and inexpensive. It 's also very easy to remove, no sticking or glue residue. Most home improvement and wallpaper stores carry it.

Amazon.com - Coavas Creative Flower Self-adhesive Decorative Window Film, Stained Glass Film(17.7-by-78.7Inch) - (http://www.amazon.com/Coavas-Creative-Self-adhesive-Decorative--78-7Inch/dp/B012F2A0Y6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1459810707&sr=8-1&keywords=stained+glass+films)

http://www.amazon.com/bofeifs-Designer-Barthroom-Adhesive-17-7x78-7/dp/B011NOIIJG/ref=pd_sim_201_2?ie=UTF8&dpID=61wVW1Rj5zL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=144QC6E9MD075F53W8ZQ

These are great. I have a coloured one on my side door, but it still lets in a lot of light.