PDA

View Full Version : How Many Ontario Canucks are there here?

DragonflyNeedleworks
April 4th, 2016, 07:12 PM
Been snoozin' in the bushes for awhile and got sidetracked on "life" stuff but hope to be more active.
Just noticed there seems to be an insurgence of folks joining MSQ who hang their thimbles in Ontario.

Just how many of us crazy Ontario Canucks are there here?
Maybe we can start periodic "Let's do Lunch" date - wouldn't that be great?
Hope you'll post to this thread and we'll see what we can do to plan a date to get into mischief together:icon_hi:

watson
April 4th, 2016, 07:51 PM
I'm here! From London!

Watson

Jean Sewing Machine
April 4th, 2016, 11:05 PM
When you get together give me a heads up! My daughter lives in NY right next to the St. Lawrence River, I just met in Kingston with GrandmaNan and RiverMomm. If I can get a cheap flight up, I would love to join you!

Mary Lynn
April 5th, 2016, 06:08 PM
I love in Listowel. Love a get together.

Lyndaj
April 5th, 2016, 09:37 PM
I'm in Brampton

WendyI
April 5th, 2016, 10:36 PM
ME ME ME!! I'm in Kitchener

Greyjay
April 6th, 2016, 02:13 AM
I'm in Georgetown

WendyI
April 7th, 2016, 09:35 AM
Is that all of us?

Sheep Farmer
April 7th, 2016, 09:41 AM
Hubby is from Kitchener. :icon_wave:
Now the family is in and around Ottawa.

We do drive up to Ontario quite a bit, so if y'all get together on a date that I'm up that way, I'd love to join you for a get-together!

Lyndaj
April 7th, 2016, 11:23 AM
Hubby is from Kitchener. :icon_wave:
Now the family is in and around Ottawa.

We do drive up to Ontario quite a bit, so if y'all get together on a date that I'm up that way, I'd love to join you for a get-together!

I could get to thank you in person for giving me such great information on the Panasonic Cordless Iron.

DragonflyNeedleworks
April 7th, 2016, 04:27 PM
Don't know if there are any more of us - will keep checking.
Perhaps we can aim for a get together sometime mid summer - somewhere that would be central to all of us.
Something to think about........suggestions?

Of course there is always the CreativFestival each year in/around Toronto. Too late to plan anything for the one this month, April 22 & 23 but there is the show, October 27,28,29. They've switched the venue this year. Instead of it being in downtown Toronto (which I've always avoided as it's so difficult travel wise) they are having it the same place as the Spring show - at the International Centre on Airport Road in Mississauga. Much easier to get there for those of us driving and tons of parking space.

Could be a consideration for a get together - meet at the show, drools over all the goodies, pet the fabrics, spend more than we should, LOL and then grab a bite to eat - lots of restaurants in the area. And for those from far out of town, there are lots of hotel accommodations within a stones' throw from the Intl. Centre.:)

Monique
April 7th, 2016, 11:36 PM
Anyone going to quilt Canada in June?

WendyI
April 8th, 2016, 10:06 AM
Don't know if there are any more of us - will keep checking.
Perhaps we can aim for a get together sometime mid summer - somewhere that would be central to all of us.
Something to think about........suggestions?

Of course there is always the CreativFestival each year in/around Toronto. Too late to plan anything for the one this month, April 22 & 23 but there is the show, October 27,28,29. They've switched the venue this year. Instead of it being in downtown Toronto (which I've always avoided as it's so difficult travel wise) they are having it the same place as the Spring show - at the International Centre on Airport Road in Mississauga. Much easier to get there for those of us driving and tons of parking space.

Could be a consideration for a get together - meet at the show, drools over all the goodies, pet the fabrics, spend more than we should, LOL and then grab a bite to eat - lots of restaurants in the area. And for those from far out of town, there are lots of hotel accommodations within a stones' throw from the Intl. Centre.:)

I like this idea and it gives me time to get back into the swing of things!

Monique, I was going to check it out but I may be flying down east to visit my sister that weekend. It also says you have to register? Or is that just for the workshops? Are you registered for any?

Lyndaj
April 8th, 2016, 10:19 AM
Anyone going to quilt Canada in June?

Me, now that you alerted me to the event:icon_happy:

SuzanneOrleansOntario
April 8th, 2016, 10:21 AM
I'm in Orleans (eastern burb of Ottawa). My hubby and I both got the quilting bug last year. It's fun to go on road trips to quilt shops. Last year we got quite a few blocks, many I still haven't done. I did finish the 8 block quilt and won at my local quilt shop. My husband says he's glad that I am not competitive.

peggiep
April 8th, 2016, 08:30 PM
I'm in North Augusta (just a little north of Brockville) which lies almost halfway between Ottawa and Kingston. :)

peggiep
April 8th, 2016, 08:43 PM
:icon_wave: Suzanne -- Congrats on your winning...I assume that was at Quilty Pleasures?

Although my DH doesn't quilt, he is quite willing to be the designated driver to Shop Hops. I / We are trying to find time to do the Poker Run that is on now from Brockville, to Arnprior to VanKleek Hill, but we are not having any luck coordinating our schedules. Whoever said that retirement was boring is just plain wrong. lol If I am lucky, I will make it to Kemptville, Brockville and Bells Corners.:icon_bigsmile:

Maybe we can get together when I get to Ottawa.

Cheers :)
Peggiep

mario1360
April 8th, 2016, 08:48 PM
I'm in Montreal, easy hop to Ottawa or even Kingston (Sandbanks anyone?)

Monique
April 9th, 2016, 03:28 PM
I am not far from Ottawa, travel to Trenton quite often.

Monique
April 9th, 2016, 03:31 PM
I am not far from Ottawa, travel to Trenton quite often.

I am going to Quilt Canada on June 16th if anyone is around on that date, maybe we can meet up!!

Monique
April 9th, 2016, 03:33 PM
And then there is another one in Ottawa on Mother's Day weekend.

CTQG Quilt Show 2012 (http://www.commonthread.on.ca/QuiltShow.htm) (Says 2012 but it will go the 2016 page)

and in Renfrew in June

"Quilt Gems" 2016 Quilt Show | Canadian Quilters' Association / Association Canadienne de la Courtepointe (http://www.canadianquilter.com/event-info.php?ID=995)

Bethy
April 10th, 2016, 06:08 AM
I am in Burlington. Retired so usually available for anything.

peggiep
April 10th, 2016, 08:51 AM
I will be at the Mother's Day quilt show in Ottawa. I hope to be volunteering for Quilts of Valour at their booth sometime during the show. Maybe we could meet there!

Cheers L)
Peggiep

Lyndaj
April 11th, 2016, 09:31 AM
A suggestion? Why don't we plan for a Southern Ontario meet up at either Quilt Canada or the Creativ Festival (formerly known as the Creative Sewing and and Needlework Festival) and an Eastern Ontario meet up in the Ottawa area?

I like to drive and do tons of it, but Ottawa is out of the question for me.

Thoughts?

Monique
April 11th, 2016, 09:42 AM
Sounds good to me.

WendyI
April 11th, 2016, 10:39 AM
A suggestion? Why don't we plan for a Southern Ontario meet up at either Quilt Canada or the Creativ Festival (formerly known as the Creative Sewing and and Needlework Festival) and an Eastern Ontario meet up in the Ottawa area?

I like to drive and do tons of it, but Ottawa is out of the question for me.

Thoughts?

I'm in, finances pending.

Mary Lynn
April 11th, 2016, 07:39 PM
I agree we need to have two locations. Ontario is just too big to come up with one location that would work for most people.

WendyI
April 18th, 2016, 12:41 PM
For those of you near me, where do I find quilting classes?? I want to meet other quilters in my area and learn new techniques, or just be part of something quilty where I can meet other quilters. The guilds all seem to meet during the day and I work full time.

Grandma Nan
April 18th, 2016, 01:23 PM
Not sure how I missed this post but I am in Kingston and would love to join in a meet up of like guilting minds. My sister and I are going along with Monique on a bus trip to Quilts Canada in June.

I am a driver so can go most places between London and Montreal. I'm game.

Grandma Nan
April 18th, 2016, 01:24 PM
For those of you near me, where do I find quilting classes?? I want to meet other quilters in my area and learn new techniques, or just be part of something quilty where I can meet other quilters. The guilds all seem to meet during the day and I work full time.

Wendy most of the quilt stores offer classes and usually they try to do some in the evenings and weekends for people working full time.

Lyndaj
April 19th, 2016, 12:20 PM

Wendy, in case you don't already know about them, check out Creative Sisters in your neck of the woods.

Creative Sisters Quilt Studio - Home (http://www.creativesisters.ca)

jjkaiser
April 19th, 2016, 12:26 PM
What the heck is an Ontario Canuck?

WendyI
April 19th, 2016, 12:32 PM
What the heck is an Ontario Canuck?

Lol! Well first, Ontario is a Province in Canada. Canuck is a slang term for people from Canada.

From Wikipedia:
The Random House Dictionary notes that "The term Canuck is first recorded about 1835 as an Americanism (American term), originally referring specifically to a French Canadian. This was probably the original meaning, though in Canada and other countries, "Canuck" now refers to any Canadian." [1] For example, someone residing in Toronto might be considered a "Canuck". In fact, the 1835 source cited refers to a foreign-speaker: "Jonathan distinguishes a Dutch or a French Canadian, by the term Kanuk".

WendyI
April 19th, 2016, 12:43 PM
Wendy, in case you don't already know about them, check out Creative Sisters in your neck of the woods.

Creative Sisters Quilt Studio - Home (http://www.creativesisters.ca)

Thanks doll!! I didn't realize they also did classes. Hoping to attend their FMQ class.

Jean Sewing Machine
April 19th, 2016, 01:38 PM
If I know when you guys are trying to get together, I'll see if I can swing a trip to Massena, NY to see my grandkids and cross the border to meet up with you all! I had such a great time visiting Nan and Vicki in March, hope to be able to meet more forum folks from Ontario and Quebec!

Lyndaj
April 20th, 2016, 02:25 PM
Thanks doll!! I didn't realize they also did classes. Hoping to attend their FMQ class.

You're welcome. I've been there a few times and it is a lovely shop. Never taken a class there. I too want an FMQ class, but they are only currently offering Beginners FMQ Part 2. I wonder if you need to take Part 1 first?

I can somewhat FMQ because I'm doing Leah Day's BOM which is a quilt as you go, but my stitches are nowhere near even.