PDA

View Full Version : Redoing Outdoor Cushions

SeptemberBaby
April 3rd, 2016, 03:11 PM
Hi! I hope this is the correct forum to post this in ... I have a sewing question but not a quilting question.

I'm going to start to recover our outdoor chair cushions. The cushions themselves are in decent shape but they need a bit of something and I'm not sure what. Is there anything anyone can recommend that I can add to them? I'm thinking a layer of batting but I'm not sure if that would be ok to use outside. I am using outdoor fabric that is water resistant so maybe I can use a layer of batting? Something else? I'm trying to avoid replacing the entire cushion part because then the price will go up and I may as well buy brand new cushions. So, can anyone recommend something? Thanks so much for your help.

Splinter
April 3rd, 2016, 04:39 PM
My sister sewed some outdoor cushions, and I believed she used polyester filling over polyurethane foam. In that case, polyester batting may be suitable, but it compresses easily. You may need to use several layers. I don't think a cotton batting would be suitable. After everything was sewn together, she applied some type of glue to seal the seams. I'm not sure what glue she used, so I hope someone else has more information than I do. I hope you figure this out.

Midge
April 3rd, 2016, 04:49 PM
Glad you started this thread! I want to redo my porch cushions this year with a pretty Sunbrella print. I did find out (can't find the website now) that there is a specific mildew resistant type of polyester batting that is recommended for outdoor use. It's called Nu Foam brand. J's carries it. Would also be interested to know what sealant for the seams other people are using. Also, should you use a plastic zipper or a heavy upholstery type metal zipper on outdoor cushions? I have poly cording to make a contrasting piping for the edges. Hope someone has wisdom to share.

Edit - link to batting product Poly-Fil NU-FoamŪ Densified Polyester Cushion, 24" x 24" x 4" Square | Jo-Ann (http://www.joann.com/22x22x4in-nufoam/5431903.html)

Sharyn J
April 3rd, 2016, 04:53 PM
Joann's carries a product called NuFoam that is made for outdoor cushions. I've seen it but never used it myself. It is made for outdoor cushions for patio, boating and camping.

Search Results at Joann.com | Jo-Ann (http://www.joann.com/search?q=NuFoam)

CraftySweetPeas
April 3rd, 2016, 06:52 PM
I wonder if the spray is just a water repellent? I patched an old canvas tent and stitched it, then sprayed a waterproofing spray on when I was done. The patch has held up for years, and that 45-yr old tent STILL does not leak. I just used a spray from the shoe department.

SeptemberBaby
April 3rd, 2016, 08:14 PM
Thanks for the info/links for the NuFoam ... that's something I will definitely check into ..
As for the metal vs plastic zippers ... not sure .. I'm not planning on using zippers. I'm really trying to make this as stress free as possible. I'm just on to close the bottom by stitching it.
There are some You Tube videos out there that use zippers and I'm pretty sure they use metal. I think they hide them .. not sure if that the correct word but basically they use a flap to hide them.
Thanks again for all the suggestions!

Hulamoon
April 3rd, 2016, 10:59 PM
There are waterproof zippers.
Waterproof zippers->nylon zipper,invisible zipper,brass metal zipper (http://www.jh-zipper.com/en/products.asp?id=2&t_id=42)

I only looked at this one site, so I would google some more

Hulamoon
April 3rd, 2016, 11:00 PM
double post opps

Claire Hallman
April 4th, 2016, 12:02 PM
There is a product called bonded polyester that upholsterers use, I think you can get it by the yard at a fabric store like Joanne or Hancock's or an upholstery supply house. You will be happier with your results if you put in a zipper, you will be able to remove and wash the covers easily. If you live in pollen country you will want to be able to do that.
If you can keep your cushions out of the rain that is always the best, too.