PDA

View Full Version : First Saturday in April and it's snowing! Still feeling appreciative

WendyI
April 2nd, 2016, 02:07 PM
Shouldn't really complain though...this was an incredibly mild winter and since it was my first on my own I was very thankful to not have to deal with shoveling snow even once. That is so incredibly rare for this area so I am happy that it occurred in this, my first winter on my own.

It sure is quiet in here these days. What's goin on with all you folks?

I have been trying to make myself feel better about my situation by volunteering with Syrian refugees. As you may or may not know, Canada committed to taking 25,000 by the end of 2015. We only managed to just reach that goal at the end of Feb. beginning of March, and now we seem to be at a standstill.

It's so incredibly tragic what has been happening to these poor people and their lives. And they are the MOST lovely people you could ever hope to meet! I'm so happy to be able to help even if it's only in the smallest of ways. It definitely puts my own life a bit more into perspective. Yes, I have lost my partner in life, the man I thought I would spend my life with, and I have to grieve that and find a way to move on. But I have so much to be appreciative of. I have a lovely home, even if I do rent. I have a good job that keeps me and my son fed and clothed and able to have a few perks in life. I have a new car. I have friends, colleagues and family who love and care for me, my son his healthy and happy and my pets are as well and I am able to provide for them. Working with refugees who lived lives very similar to this, only to have it be torn away by war, really makes me appreciate the good in my life.

So while I still have days where I am incredibly sad, lonely and miss him, for the most part I am now starting to realize that my life needs to be about ME and my kid, not about who left me and my kid. I am so happy to come back in here and read about you all and see you are all doing relatively well for the most part.

I am bored today, hence the wee post...I think I will go play with my sewing machine for a bit. Maybe she will inspire me! Love you all! xoxoxo

SewnByBee
April 2nd, 2016, 02:44 PM
You may not know. My first grand baby is due in May.A little boy, they're naming Reese.

We've been trying to get them set up, and finish sorting our place. We have them pretty much set......not so much....here....lol. we are working on it. Baby proofing is a undertaking.

I'm still adjusting to life........without my mom......and AC. They we're such a big part of my life.....it still is hard on me....... I'm trying to stay in a forward thinking way. It's really all I can do.

I find doing for others, has been therapeutic. Making others feel better, makes me feel better.

Stay strong. Keep busy. You'll get through this. XoxoxO.......

Cathy F
April 2nd, 2016, 05:13 PM
Wendy, do you still have your birds? I remember you just got one when you moved.

KarenC
April 2nd, 2016, 06:41 PM
You are on the right path. Just remember that it takes time. Your work with the refugees sounds like a commendable project, and staying busy helps pass the time. I am thankful for my blessings every day, even though I miss my ex in so many ways. I am working on the border for a quilt that is giving me headaches today (not literally). Taking a break to search the forum before going back to it. I am getting good with the ripper though. I will finish this weekend, so I can then feel the accomplishment.

Dollyquilts
April 2nd, 2016, 06:54 PM
Bee, they need to be set up before you do. It will be awhile before Reese is mobile.

stationarymom
April 3rd, 2016, 02:27 AM
Wendy we're expecting the snow that you are having now for tomorrow and Monday(Thanks for sharing) We had a really mild winter also.It sounds like you found a good cause to keep yourself busy and help put things into perspective.Keep up the good work.

ACD_Donna
April 3rd, 2016, 12:17 PM
Hi Wendy,
I’m glad you are starting to see a little light and doing things for you.
Since you are helping the Syrian refugees you might be interested in a project that Quilts Beyond Borders does. They are providing quilts to Syrian refugee children.
QBB is great to work with. They want utility type quilts. They aren’t picky about patterns, so it doesn’t have to be a fancy quilt to be appreciated.
Maybe making a charity top for a refugee will help you get your quilting mojo flowing again.
Donna

WendyI
April 3rd, 2016, 12:50 PM
Wendy, do you still have your birds? I remember you just got one when you moved.

Yes I still have Cricket. She is SUCH a good bird. Sometimes I worry that she is lonely and consider getting her a friend but then I I realize I have enough on my plate! Lol! Finally set up my fish tank and its enjoyable for the most part. So with that, Cricket, two cats and the dog....I think I'm good!

amartin24
April 4th, 2016, 09:34 AM
Good to hear from you Wendy! So glad things are on the more positive side for you right now. I've been thinking about you and wondering how you've been doing. Yes, YOU and your SON should definitely be your primary focus! Blessings to you!