PDA

View Full Version : Eggcellent Night Owl

toggpine
March 27th, 2016, 04:20 AM
Sorry, it was too much of a temptation with Easter and all of this chicken talk!

The chickens are all supposed to be pullets (baby girl chickens) which will grow up to be egg laying hens. Since only the Sex-Link chickens can be easily gender identified at hatching by which color they are, it can be a bit of a guessing game. We hope that none of the chicks are cockrels (baby boy chickens) that will grow up to be roosters. You can neuter them making them capons, but why? They taste fine, or someone will want to invite them to their house for supper. We have Grover the Very Polite Rooster now, and we are quite happy to let him keep his job.

The only sewing done today was one more load of fabric through the serger for the wash machine. I pulled some more of the smoker's fabric for the kids to work with at school. I thought we had more material in the other tote bin than we did. This should give them some more to work with, even if the colors aren't what they would choose. They need plenty of practice before I'd turn them loose on the LQS fabric. Not that we have the budget for that!

I had to do a sad thing today. I had to call animal control to come pick up a dog. He was a sweet boy and deserved an owner that would love him enough to keep him home. He has been wandering up and down the two busiest roads in our area for several weeks. He has been returned home multiple times, to no avail. He has gotten into one farmer's pasture and actually bitten one of her goats while running them into the fence. He showed up here today. I could not risk him getting into one of our pastures with the Anatolians. Vet bills are not in the budget. I would have been within my legal rights to shoot the dog.
It's not his fault that his owner is so careless. He was not happy about being put in a kennel crate, but I don't think he understood the alternative. Even though he didn't want to get in the crate, he never tried to bite us. (I passed that on to the ACO too.)
I had the other farm owner come and ID the dog, to make sure I was giving the right info to the Animal Control Officer. She said the dog would be held until at least Monday since Sunday is Easter. She is on duty until Thursday, and if the owner shows up before then she will be notified since she is flagging the dog as a warning.
I hope the owner doesn't bother to find him and he can find a new home that will give him a fenced yard and some attention.

Happier news! I have more of the veggie garden weeded, half of the old strawberry bed cleared out, and the dirt was pretty warm! Peas will go in next week, once it stops making wet for a few days. Daisy the baby goat got to go out in the big girl pen for the day with her Momma. She ran and bounced and generally avoided the cranky old ladies. She is tucked back in her stall with Mom for the night.

As promised, here are the new chicks. 10 black Australorps, 7 Russian Orloffs, and 3 Cuckoo Marans. I guess 15 wasn't enough, 17 was weird, and 20 were OK. In 6 months, bring on the eggs!

Judy, USMC
March 27th, 2016, 05:00 AM
Wow ! You are one busy lady ... and congratulations on the additions to the family. I love your explanation & learned something new.

Hope the dog finds a good home. I hate when owners don't care what is happening with their pets. Thanks for looking out for his welfare.

Project is off to the proof-readers for the first run through. Keeping my fingers crossed that it will help some others.

MayinJerset
March 27th, 2016, 06:30 AM
Sweet looking little chicks - thanks for filling us in about them and how they grow.

Patsquilting
March 27th, 2016, 07:10 AM
Good Morning - Happy Easter. WOW, good luck with all your animals. I am missing not being able to get a garden started this year. Our house is for sale as we are hoping to move (soon) so my greenhouse is bare and gardens will remain also. Hard to put the work into it if I can't reap the benefits, etc. What is an Anatoli? I do not have any animals any more - but I do remember vet bills and cringe when friends tell me what just a check up for their pet costs.

Hope and pray everyone has a great day HAPPY EASTER. Going to my son's house and then to his in-laws for an informal dinner. Will get to play with 19 mo GS - will be a fantastic day.

Carol336
March 27th, 2016, 07:12 AM
Great info on the cute chicks.....I learned something too. One question though - what color are they if they are pullets and what color if they are cockrels....just curious

bubba
March 27th, 2016, 08:32 AM
Pretty sure the pullets would be pink and the cockrels blue!! :)

As for animal control....must have been Leah Marie or Kerry (she has an accent as she is from South Africa!). Both are friends of mine and care deeply for the animals. Hopefully the owner won't reclaim that dog.....they don't deserve it!

Our youngest daughter, Tiffany, took Alex to San Diego for the weekend for her birthday. I told it was Easter weekend and she might have trouble getting home, but she pooh poohed that and said all would be fine. She called last night about 9pm, said all flights from San Diego, LAX, San Jose, San Francisco, and Las Vegas were overbooked and she was on her way to Oakland!!! She is still driving and should be there within the hour. Hope they wake up for dinner as it is a combined Easter / going away party for my son in law, Rob, who is being stationed in South America for a year, leaving on 4/9. I'll be starting an eleven pound brisket about 0930, and a HUGE turkey breast after that.

Headed back to bed....................

toggpine
March 27th, 2016, 01:52 PM
From what I have read, the females are the ones hatched with color. They seem to come in red/brown and black. (They would look like the chicks in the picture.) The males are white (pale yellow fuzz) and stay that way to make a nice fryer carcass. Most consumers aren't really pleased with speckled skin on their chickens.

Anatolian Shepherds are livestock guardian dogs. The shepherd designation is more about their body structure than their ability to herd stock. During a threat they will herd the flock together for better protection, but that is about it. They are independent thinkers that have been bred for hundreds of years to roam with the herds with or without a shepherd for predator control. They are excellent family dogs, as they consider you part of their herd. I have no fear of the kids playing outside while the dogs are out.

We had a problem with roaming dogs and two-legged predators at one of our previous locations. I'll never forget the look on the man's face when he was met with 120 pounds of very angry dog. I was in the milk shed, and at no point did he announce his presence with a "Hello. Anybody home?" or anything. He just leaned over the half wall where the girls were chilling out after being milked. Aslan had been curled up looking like a blonde fur lump. Then he wasn't. He was claws, teeth, and a very loud bark trying to get over the wall. We had men stopping in wanting to buy my milk goats for supper when the ethnic meat butcher down the road would run out of goats. Most of them were very polite, but a few forgot that they were in America and women are allowed to own property without the need of a man to supervise her.

Pat, I'm pretty sure it was Kerry that came out. Officer Bayless was her name. Very nice lady considering the situation. I didn't want to turn him in, but I can't be the one to allow him to continue to run the streets and farms either. The next time he finds himself some "playmates" may be his last. Folks out here are well armed and don't take kindly to dogs in their pastures.

On a happier note, it's Easter! The sun is shining (for a bit) and we are going to hang out with the family later today!
Have a good one! Hugs, C

judimccl
March 27th, 2016, 02:04 PM
Wow, sure sounds like you have your plate full! So glad that you have at least tried to find a better life for the poor dog - so sad when people don't take care of their pets. People don't realize the responsibilities that come along with having a pet. I recently moved into a 3rd floor apartment and I am 73 years old. My son kept my 2 dogs for the time being until I had settled in, because he had a yard for them. This past week I transitioned the Shih Tzu over to me. Yes, it is work - but she didn't ask me to move! It involves up and down 2 flights of stairs at least 4 times a day, but she is adjusting well. This is a dog who never walked on a leash (she is 6 years old), and never went up and down stairs. Well, after 5 days she is walking beautifully on her leash, and the last 2 days we have been working on going up the stairs, and she is doing very well with that. I still carry her down the stairs, lol. The point is that she is my responsibility! People have told me that I need to get rid of the 2 dogs - can you imagine! I am going to give it another week and then transition over the Basset, who is 7 years old. A new adventure in my life, lol. :icon_wave:

bubba
March 27th, 2016, 02:04 PM
Yes, that is Kerry. I always called her Mrs. Doubtfire and she would roll her eyes and shake her head at me! You did the right thing, so don't worry about it!

toggpine
March 28th, 2016, 02:19 AM
You did the right thing, so don't worry about it!

I hope so. I just pray that the owner doesn't get their tail in a twist and cause trouble for the neighbor's animals, or show up here. some folks think that because they live out in the country they can let Spot run free. Sure you can, on your own property. Once your animal hits the road, you become liable for any damage it causes, including car wrecks. Our state's RCWs allow for me to shoot and kill anything that is harassing, or harming my livestock. I don't want to, but if it's the roaming dog or the loss of my girls, well, I'm a pretty darned good shot.

bubba
March 28th, 2016, 02:49 AM
Note to self....don't make a surprise visit to Cathy's dressed in my Dalmatian costume!

toggpine
March 28th, 2016, 02:57 AM
Funny Lady!