PDA

View Full Version : Night Owl with Chicks

toggpine
March 26th, 2016, 02:02 AM
Uh huh.
We weren't supposed to get chicks for a week. Then last I heard, the breed he wants won't be available until the first week in June from the hatchery. Guess who came home from Costco with a box of chicks? Yeah, Hubby thought since he was right by the feed store, he would checkout their supply.
We are now the proud poultry parents of 10 black Australorps and 5 Russian Orloffs. Eric is contemplating going back for 5 more Orloffs. We'll see.

I stayed up too late last night and had a busy day on top of it. I'm polishing off my beverage, then topping off the ice water, and heading for my own nest.

What is up in your tree?

baskets4deb
March 26th, 2016, 02:05 AM
Pictures please!

bubba
March 26th, 2016, 02:19 AM
So Cathy, I know nothing about chickens except how to cook them! Are these chickens for eggs or chickens for eating? I too, would love to see pictures!

My friends who are getting the goats are getting them from a goat breeder up in Stanwood. They are awfully darned cute from the pictures she has posted, and they both have blue eyes. They are picking them up this weekend and she is so excited! They also have chickens and beehives.

kimsophia
March 26th, 2016, 03:46 AM
Hello and hoot hoot to all. There is no joy in Mudville, the Iowa State Cyclones have struck out of the NCAA tourney. We just did not score well at the beginning and Virginia was shooting the lights out. Well, the better team won, to be sure. There are some good games ahead with the strongest teams, if you are a basketball fan.

Other than that, I have been enjoying some Lenten hymns and Taize chants on YouTube. My time would have been better spent at church tonight than watching that game. I couldn't watch them losing so we went out for falafel. That was good!

Are your Easter chicks huddled under a heat lamp, Toggpine? I know very little about chicks!

MayinJerset
March 26th, 2016, 03:47 AM
No chickees here except the chicken breasts in the freezer. DGD L and her DH have quite a few chickens and their 2 older boys, 5 and 3, enjoy helping gathering their eggs with their mom..

It's 2 am and I'll be up for awhile so I think I'll work out a plan for my next quilt, a queen size one for our bed in blues, browns and creams with cranberry accents. Considering a few patterns, I like an Irish Chain, log cabin and then there is one of Jenny's latest made with 10" squares of different fabrics with friendship stars as cornerstones in the sashing. Decisions, decisions, decisions! Making this quilt completely from my stash so I need to hunt out some browns and blues that are hiding in the closet.

redcaboose1717
March 26th, 2016, 05:53 AM
Although I am a little late....( DH was on the PC ALL day long ! ) I am up reading the forum. Just watched the newest tutorial again, and I love it more and more.....

Judy, USMC
March 26th, 2016, 06:16 AM
I'm with you Kim - watching the NCAA games is a tradition in my house. I'm so proud to know that two of the ACC teams will be in the final four - and then at least one of them will be in the finals.

Finally got my quilting related project to a point where proofreading can begin. Thankful that I have gotten 4 volunteers! Glad to hear some of you are able to quilt even with Easter on the horizon. I too love Jenny's new tut.

The only Costco that I go to is in Chicago ... and I don't believe I've ever seen live chicks sold there ... must be a regional thing. Off to dream of chicks & the Cadbury Bunny.

toggpine
March 26th, 2016, 01:55 PM
Hubby was supposed to stopping by Costco on the way home.
He made a detour by the feed store first. That is where he bought the chicks.
I think the only chicks Costco sells are wrapped in plastic and found in the fridge or freezer sections!

Judy, USMC
March 26th, 2016, 02:51 PM
Hubby was supposed to stopping by Costco on the way home.
He made a detour by the feed store first. That is where he bought the chicks.
I think the only chicks Costco sells are wrapped in plastic and found in the fridge or freezer sections!

Boy - I really misread your first post, sorry. But now you got me yearning for some of those edible chicks!

toggpine
March 26th, 2016, 06:12 PM
:D No worries! He went back for more Russian Orloffs this morning after reading up on them. There were only two left, so he bought 3 Cucoo Morrans too. :icon_doh:

Now we are up to 20 chicks! I'll get some pictures of them in a bit and post them to tonight's thread.

Neller
March 26th, 2016, 06:37 PM
Hello and hoot hoot to all. There is no joy in Mudville, the Iowa State Cyclones have struck out of the NCAA tourney. We just did not score well at the beginning and Virginia was shooting the lights out. Well, the better team won, to be sure. There are some good games ahead with the strongest teams, if you are a basketball fan.

Same thing here! We were rooting for Gonzaga and it was a tough game. Too bad they couldn't make the final basket! Oh well, Oregon is still in it unless they already lost today. I have been reading instead of watching basketball.

bubba
March 26th, 2016, 09:14 PM
I still want to know if they are egg laying or eating for dinner chicks.....

LauraP
March 26th, 2016, 09:25 PM
Aren't the Cucoo's the one's that lay the "chocolate" eggs? They are a real deep brown. Ladies, for those of you who don't know about chickens, girl ones are for eggs and boy ones are for eating. If a girl one doesn't lay eggs after one season she gets eaten too, hence the phrase "spring chicken". Usually be the time a girl quits laying eggs she is so old that if you want to eat her you have to boil her to get her softened up.

bubba
March 26th, 2016, 09:46 PM
Silly me.....I thought boy chickens were roosters!!

BethB
March 26th, 2016, 09:51 PM
I thought males were roosters also. Amazing what you can learn on a "quilting" forum:icon_wave:

kimsophia
March 26th, 2016, 10:24 PM
Same thing here! We were rooting for Gonzaga and it was a tough game. Too bad they couldn't make the final basket! Oh well, Oregon is still in it unless they already lost today. I have been reading instead of watching basketball.

That was sad about the Zags losing. I don't like when one team leads the whole game and at the very end, the other team scores to win...somehow it doesn't seem fair to me...I just saw Oregon lose to Oklahoma... sad times for fans everywhere...