PDA

View Full Version : New job blues

just4me
March 24th, 2016, 07:26 AM
I have just finished the first week in my new job. Sigh...I'm so stressed and miserable because I have made some woeful errors over things I could do with my eyes shut in my last job. Made a real goose of myself and feel awful. And to make it complete, today was my "day off" and I had hoped to get lost in the sewing room for a good part of it but I am so miserable and embarassed over my dismal work performance I haven't had the heart for sewing, or in fact any of the tasks I had noted for today. Does anyone have a magic wand to wave over me to make me feel better????:( How do you make amends "in your head" when you've feel you've let yourself and your new work colleagues down?:(

KarenC
March 24th, 2016, 07:42 AM
No magical advice here, but maybe just take some time to relax. New jobs are stressful. We try to impress the new team, while at the same time having to learn new personalities, politics, etc. It's not easy, but it does get easier. Give yourself a break. Say a prayer for help along the way. These days I say a prayer for patience each day to deal with my management, and not quit, and just be thankful for the blessings I have been granted. It helps me.

quiltingtrish
March 24th, 2016, 08:04 AM
I'll say a prayer for you too. New jobs are stressful and I am sure your work colleagues will understand as time goes on. I also feel better when I know I not the only one who ever went through something like you are.
((((HUGS))))

songbird857
March 24th, 2016, 10:57 AM
Whoa...... take a deep breath! Relax :)
When I worked in an office, I remember my supervisor saying on my first day... "You WILL make mistakes, we can always go back in and fix it (medical records)."
There is a learning curve to every job, even if you've done that type of work before. Don't sweat it :)
Praying that next week will be less stressful ;)

grammaterry
March 24th, 2016, 11:03 AM
Everyone has been there. Making new friends an acquaintances is stressful but putting a learning curve on top of it when everyone else seems so proficient is horrific. Lets just equate it with your first attempt at quilting with someone who was an expert. You felt inadequate then too and now you are a prominent and trusted member of a quilting community that people look up to and come to for advice. That's how your new job will be in three weeks.

SallyO'Sews
March 24th, 2016, 01:46 PM
Great advice already posted, so I'm just sending you a quilty cyber-hug and saying a prayer that you'll have a much better day today!

geegeequilts
March 24th, 2016, 02:38 PM
Even if you've done the same or similiar before keep in mind that a new job is gonna be a little stressful. You're trying to make a good impression & you're naturally gonna have some "yikes! can't believe I just did that!" moments. Give yourself a break know that you will do the great job you know you're capable of.

Gina

just4me
March 26th, 2016, 03:33 AM
Thanks so much everyone for the cyber hugs and encouragement. I have really been struggling with some anxiety attacks over the Easter weekend and am now due back for my next 4 day stint tomorrow. Trying to be positive but still can't settle enough in my head to do much except sit and hide under a quilt on the couch.:(

Ginny B
March 26th, 2016, 09:05 AM
Even if you have done the same task in your previous job, there will always be something a little different about it in your new job. Last week is done! A new one is about to begin where you will start anew. Just take your time with each part of each task until you get comfortable with it. Pretty soon you will be doing it with your eyes shut again. Although I wouldn't recommend actually shutting your eyes. :icon_happy: Relax, take a deep breath and take one step at a time. You will do fine. Give yourself a little time.

CarolynK
March 26th, 2016, 10:41 AM
I started a new job about a year ago and it was definitely a learning curve and stressful. Nothing like a new job to make you feel like an idiot - but I had some really good support from my boss and the people I work with and I did make mistakes but I just kept moving forward. Don't be so hard on yourself - in no time you will have it mastered and look back on how much you've learned. Sending you hugs!