PDA

View Full Version : Need help... can't see. (well, barely)

kensington
March 23rd, 2016, 02:56 PM
I have a huge STY in my eye,.. my eye is huge and swollen shut. I can't see and I am so discouraged.

Does anyone have any tried and true home remedies for treating them?

I have an antibiotic I started yesterday, and a gel for itching .... that doesn't work.

Asking for help!!

bhaggerty
March 23rd, 2016, 03:02 PM
Warm compresses help. Can just use warm water and a washcloth.
Also, Johnson & Johnson Baby shampoo, later it on a warm washcloth and gently wash area.

And, if you have any close family that is breastfeeding, then a warm breast milk compress works amazingly well.

mischiefkat
March 23rd, 2016, 03:06 PM
I take a white washcloth run it under the warm water,as warm as I can tolerate. Put in on the stye. When the wash cloth gets cool,turn it to a different side and rewarm it. I do this for about 20 mins. This will draw the stye to a head,and cause it to pop. kathy

K. McEuen
March 23rd, 2016, 03:08 PM
Ugh, hate those. Last one I had was at the end of 5th grade. Bernadette is right, warm compresses help.

judimccl
March 23rd, 2016, 03:31 PM
I can only imagine how uncomfortable you are feeling. Prayers for that sty to go away, and that you will hopefully find something for the itching. :icon_wave:

kensington
March 23rd, 2016, 04:04 PM
Ugh, hate those. Last one I had was at the end of 5th grade. Bernadette is right, warm compresses help.

Yeah, I had one or two when I was a kid... and then about a month ago I had one... and now this really big one.

:icon_rolleyes:

CraftyJnet
March 23rd, 2016, 04:04 PM
I take a white washcloth run it under the warm water,as warm as I can tolerate. Put in on the stye. When the wash cloth gets cool,turn it to a different side and rewarm it. I do this for about 20 mins. This will draw the stye to a head,and cause it to pop. kathy

This is what I've done as well. It works, you just need to keep repeating it until the sty is drawn to a head.

kensington
March 23rd, 2016, 04:06 PM
I looked online the first few days and did the warm compress. I went to the Dr for the eye gel, and antibiotic yesterday, she said COLD compress. But it's no better... going back to the warm. It's on the inside of my eye lid, or I would attempt to pop it.

Dollyquilts
March 23rd, 2016, 04:12 PM
Try a warm teabag compress.

kensington
March 23rd, 2016, 05:07 PM
Thanks everyone. I was hoping to get some relief asap. Cecil B Demille's "The Ten Commandments" is showing in theaters tonight, and we are supposed to go. I don't want to miss it, I've never seen it in theaters before. I wanted to get my grandsons to go also, but I can't drive like this. Hubs will have to drive me.

I'll be watching it out one eye... lopsided. LOL

redcaboose1717
March 23rd, 2016, 05:43 PM
My grandma ( and mom ) used to use what's called a milk poultice.....This sounds weird but it works !

Take a small square of bread.....put a little milk on the bread, and put it on the eye. You might want to cover the poultice with a small piece of saran wrap....(use some adhesive type tape)

Another thing to help with styes......make sure you wash your hands a lot....using bacterial soap ( Dial ) and making sure your hands are dry after each washing.
This might sound silly, but when washing your hands, ( using soap and hot/warm water ) sing "Happy Birthday" twice....to ensure that you are cleaning your hands properly.

One more thing....use a flour sack towel.....or a paper towel when washing your hands while you have a sty.

************************************************** ************************************************** ***
One more "Remedy" If you have a in-grown toenail .....use a milk/bread poultice on this too...this will take the soreness from the toenail away over night in most cases. The bread I use is white and just regular milk ( 2 % works fine too...but I normally have whole milk in the house ! )

************************************************** *********************************************
A wet tea bag may help too.
************************************************** **********************************************

SewnByBee
March 23rd, 2016, 05:46 PM
Bless you friend....geeeeeeee.... hope you feel better sooner rather than latter....OK......eye being swollen, the cold compress wil help with the swelling..... and sooth it.

We use cold milk to cool burnt eyes, from welding or to much sun.

Allergy eye drops are a favorite around here along with Flownaise nasal spray. It's supposed to help the eyes too. Might ask the Dr. If it would help.

I would suggest alternating the hot and cold compresses, to combat both issues. Use the gel and drs. Directions too.We have a lot of allergies Alabama. I've had those stye's too, there very painful. I would take a
Ib profin for the inflammation .

A pack of peas from the freezer or a frozen sauce pack, makes the best cold compress....... Feel better soon.

OH ....OH,.......OH......... HEY.....
***you might try a slice of a potato, scraping one side of it a little, place that side on the eye.....potatoes can help to draw out things from under the skin....gotta Potatoe ??????

kensington
March 23rd, 2016, 06:36 PM
THANKS Ladies!!

Juliet Taylor
March 23rd, 2016, 07:25 PM
Sorry I have no advice but I wish you heartly to be healthier very very soon :)

auntiemern
March 23rd, 2016, 07:43 PM
Wish I could help but I think the warm compresses sound like the best way to draw it to a head. I can't even remember the last time I had one. Prayers for a speedy recovery.

Monique
March 23rd, 2016, 08:03 PM
Try a warm teabag compress.

I was going to suggest this very thing.

Hulamoon
March 23rd, 2016, 08:36 PM
And stay away from eye make up! I heard old make up can cause infections. Hope it goes away soon.

Simply Quilting
March 24th, 2016, 12:57 AM
I hope that you were able to see the movie okay tonight. As others have said use warm compresses to help it.

Besides what Lorie said of staying away from old make-up, many doctors will tell you to trash all of your eye make-up that you have been using and pitch the applicators/brushes (a few have said to just throughly wash and dry the brushes).

stationarymom
March 24th, 2016, 01:10 AM
I have also hears that a warm tea bag is supposed to help.Good Luck

grammaterry
March 24th, 2016, 01:28 AM
Try an eye patch to let your eye rest.

kensington
March 24th, 2016, 01:56 AM
Try an eye patch to let your eye rest.

Dr said absolutely NO to covering the eye. Let it breathe and water she said. I am going to try that Warm Tea Bag.

I may try warm milk.... if the compress should be warm... and milk is good... why not Warm Milk compress? Right?