PDA

View Full Version : Serger Thread

Lori63
March 23rd, 2016, 09:02 AM
I have a serger and only use it a few times a year. I do have to say that I'm getting pretty good at threading it, but I have a question on serger thread. I typically get the cones from Hancock's which is Maxi Lock brand. The thread comes with plastic shrink wrapped around the whole cone. It says on the wrap not to use a sharp object to open it.

But how in the world can you get it open without using a sharp object?? I tried everything I could think of, but finally resorted to using a sharp object!

Sandy Navas
March 23rd, 2016, 09:37 AM
Forbidden sharp object? I usually try to find a piece that isn't covering the thread and clip it enough so I can get a fingernail under and gradually pull until I have a large enough section loose so I can continue pulling the rest of that plastic off.

I have one of those little retractable paper cutters (like a tiny exacto blade) that is small enough to just barely clip the plastic.

Jean Sewing Machine
March 23rd, 2016, 09:42 AM
Believe me, cutting through a layer or two of serger thread when removing the plastic really is annoying, because the serger becomes unthreaded every time it hits one of those cuts! Grrrr! Just take your time, there are perforations in the plastic to help, as Sandy says, get a fingernail under it and slowly peel it away. One good thing, serger thread lasts a loooong time, so you don't have to do this that often!

Hulamoon
March 23rd, 2016, 09:50 AM
lol. Sorry, but that made me giggle. One time DH bought me a pair of special scissors to open those packages that are heat sealed together and that's what it was packed in!

LynneLeavell
March 23rd, 2016, 10:47 AM
Take a straight pin and run it down the perforation a couple of times. That will break the perforation and make it easy to come off. Another think you can do is take your seam ripper and at the bottom of the cone or the top of the cone at the perforation tear it there and you can get your fingernail in there to tear it off.