PDA

View Full Version : Tomatoes

rebeccas-sewing
March 20th, 2016, 01:24 PM
While we were living out of the country my daughter and her boyfriend built this garden box. It's been bare since our return in the fall. I decided to try my hand at planting tomatoes. Any advice as to when to start fertilizing them and how often to water them? I've been looking online but the advice varies. Also, my husband had a couple of tomatoes sitting on the window ledge that actually sprouted as they were so old. I cut them up and stuck them in the pot you see in the other photo. I doubt much will come of it but I thought I'd give it a try. Has anyone grown tomatoes this way? Oh, I also stuck a sweet red pepper plant in the bed as well. Those things are so expensive at times. I thought if I get a good crop I'd cut some up and freeze them.

alliek
March 20th, 2016, 01:36 PM
Looks good! I can't give you any growing advice, I'm sure the internet is a good place to start. I think your on the right track though. Good Luck. The only fresh tomatoes I like are those grown in gardens and picked off the vine.

Bubby
March 20th, 2016, 02:46 PM
Let your tomatoes get fairly dry before watering (once they are established) so the roots will go deep for moisture. When you water, water at the base of the plant rather than all over the branches. Keep the little suckers that grow at the base of a branch picked off. Full sun is a good thing. Every little yellow flower will be a tomato!!

K. McEuen
March 20th, 2016, 02:48 PM
Tomatoes take a lot of water, especially when they are producing fruit. A good soak in the morning and depending on how dry the soil is, maybe another in the afternoon. You could spread some hay around the bed, several inches thick, to help keep in moisture and keep down weeds.

Hulamoon
March 20th, 2016, 03:14 PM
Tomatoes sprout? Mine turn to mush.

Iris Girl
March 20th, 2016, 03:56 PM
mine just get moldy...

rebeccas-sewing
March 20th, 2016, 06:14 PM
Thanks, everyone, for the advice. I don't have access to hay so I guess I should buy a couple of bags of mulch and lay that down in the bed. Hopefully, I'll get some decent tomatoes. It's been so warm here I probably could've put plants in in February. I might not have to wait so long to get some veggies off the vines if I had done so. You just never know.

Monique
March 20th, 2016, 06:50 PM
Good luck Rebecca.

K. McEuen
March 20th, 2016, 07:23 PM
In place of hay you can lay down several layers of newspaper and cover them with grass clippings too.

Simply Quilting
March 20th, 2016, 07:38 PM
I don't know what kind of bugs that you have out there. But here is a must to check for bugs daily or bug eggs as the plant seems fine one day and the next the leaves have been ate.

K. McEuen
March 20th, 2016, 08:09 PM
Are those marigolds planted in with the tomatoes? Those are great natural pest deterrents.

bubba
March 20th, 2016, 08:24 PM
We had ours set up on at auto timer last year which was nice. Had more tomatoes that we could give away!

Hulamoon
March 20th, 2016, 08:43 PM
I was curious what type of tomatoes everyone plants? I like roma and smaller varieties. Any do better than others?

mischiefkat
March 20th, 2016, 08:51 PM
When grandpa planted tomatoes , he wrapped the stem in some newspaper before he put them in the ground. Said helped keep pests away. kathy

Simply Quilting
March 20th, 2016, 09:11 PM
I was curious what type of tomatoes everyone plants? I like roma and smaller varieties. Any do better than others?

We have planted a variety of tomatoes. My favorite is to plant the grape tomatoes and cherry tomatoes as the children love to go pick those. I like using the pear and roma tomatoes for sauces because they are meatier. And there is nothing like a fresh beefsteak tomato on a BLT sandwich.

Around here, one of the biggest factors of how the tomatoes do is the weather. Too wet they will rot before they ripen and too dry they will be very tough skinned or not produce. We have also dealt with black rot and pests.

carolynrae
March 20th, 2016, 09:13 PM
We plant cherry and beef stake...and welcome home!

Hulamoon
March 20th, 2016, 10:12 PM
We have planted a variety of tomatoes. My favorite is to plant the grape tomatoes and cherry tomatoes as the children love to go pick those. I like using the pear and roma tomatoes for sauces because they are meatier. And there is nothing like a fresh beefsteak tomato on a BLT sandwich.

Around here, one of the biggest factors of how the tomatoes do is the weather. Too wet they will rot before they ripen and too dry they will be very tough skinned or not produce. We have also dealt with black rot and pests.

It rains a lot in my area. I love grape tomatoes! Maybe I will just try two types for now. I have those (3) big wine barrels. I can plant some nasturtiums to trail over.

Carlie Wolf
March 21st, 2016, 08:21 AM
I like Roma types the best but then I use a lot of my tomatoes for canning sauces for the winter. As far as I'm concerned you never have enough tomatoes. I don't have enough to also make ketcup or juices. I have to say though that the best tomatoes for eating I've ever had were the Jersey tomatoes ...so much flavor!

tesspug
March 21st, 2016, 11:57 PM
I bought a sheet of red plastic from a garden center that was suppose to increase tomato production. It actually worked. I'm sure it kept the soil evenly moist which was good for the plants.