PDA

View Full Version : Are the Night Owls hiding tonight?

stationarymom
March 20th, 2016, 01:47 AM
I hope all the Owls are doing fine tonight.We had a quiet day here today. My Dad got a call that a close friend has passed away,that was upsetting.She was 76 and wouldn't go see a Dr they said she passed from a heart attack.Now she is in a better place with no health problems.We went out to dinner tonight so my Dad could get the haddock that he can't find anywhere in Ok. he says they have lots of catfish but no haddock.Everyone had a good time.I went out to coffee with a girlfriend just to go talk for a while.

Judy, USMC
March 20th, 2016, 02:39 AM
Glad dad got the fish he likes! Steve said he was cooking last night - took the easy way and went to Golden Corral and got to-go meals. Loved that he brought me Salmon. Our deal is he "cooks" and I do the dishes. So washing was easy tonight.

Spent the day shopping for deals. I got 2 quilt kits and Steve picked out (and paid for) another one. We had agreed that I wouldn't take my machine when we go to Massanutten in May - but that's changed now. He really wants me to make his kit.

Nite all - hope y'all got/get some good deals (if you needed anything.)

MayinJerset
March 20th, 2016, 03:10 AM
Judy, I could use some good deals on fabrics as my co-chair of our guild's Project Pillowcase informed me that we're very low on fabrics to make more pillowcases. Our budget of $200 doesn't go too far as we usually donate 1,000 or more cases per year to kids in hospitals under Ryan's Cases for Smiles.

Joan, Glad your Dad got some haddock. I'm not a fan as salmon is my favorite, had a huge portion at my sister's Bday party last week. Wish if could get away just to talk with my GF, last few times we did get together our DHs were with us and we all know you can't really have a girl talk with them around.

Afraid to look out through the front door to see if the northeastern snow storm has arrived so I'll snuggle back down in my nest until daylight.

Neller
March 20th, 2016, 03:13 AM
Hi Night Owls! Things here in Spokane are looking like spring! Yay! Gonzaga won both games in the NCAA tournament and are on to the Sweet Sixteen, so we are happy.

I finally got up the nerve to work on my piano keys border and it looks like I will have enough keys to go around. I just hope they are even at the corners or I may have to figure out how to fix that. I made a table runner once and tried to put on a border of little squares of leftover fabric but it didn't come out even on the end and looked stupid so I never finished it. I was afraid the same thing would happen with this quilt, but I'll try to make it work.

When you guys make a queen sized quilt, how do you get it ironed completely? My ironing board gets it done in bits and pieces, but when I finish, the part that I ironed first looks all wrinkly-dinkily again.

Have a happy Sunday (this is Saturday, right?).

kimsophia
March 20th, 2016, 05:14 AM
Neller, I recommend a dry iron (no steam) used with a spray starch like Faultless. The quilt does not have to be perfectly unwrinkled in the sense that you would wear a shirt. I ironed mine over and over as I had the same problem. I had been using steam, however and then I read to not use steam. Finally I had done my best and just laid it out on the batting with no folds or tucks and it came out fine.

I am working some more on my biscornu. I intend to put beads around the joining seam of the top and bottom and I do have a bag of mixed seed beads that contains red beads...but as you can imagine, picking out the individual red beads is precision work. I use a needle to stab them. Oh well, it keeps me off the streets! Hoot hoot! @,@

MayinJerset
March 20th, 2016, 09:26 AM
Kim. When will get to see your biscornu? Sounds intriguing.

Neller
March 20th, 2016, 03:22 PM
I am working some more on my biscornu. I intend to put beads around the joining seam of the top and bottom and I do have a bag of mixed seed beads that contains red beads...but as you can imagine, picking out the individual red beads is precision work. I use a needle to stab them. Oh well, it keeps me off the streets! Hoot hoot! @,@

I googled biscornu since I had no idea what it was. I saw lots of pictures of beautiful embroidery, Do you frame it when it is finished or is it used for some specific purpose? I want to see a picture of yours too! Also, thanks for advice on pressing my quilt top!

kimsophia
March 20th, 2016, 08:30 PM
The biscornu is being a pain at the moment so I'm taking a break. I had to undo all my beaded stitches. As I was clipping them out, I managed to clip a hole in my nightgown when the tip of these new Kai scissors closed upon some threads as I was sitting it down on my lap. I love how sharp these new scissors are but they are like surgical instruments in sharpness and I've never worked with anything like them. So I took a break to iron some interfacing behind the hole and drip some Fray Check on the front. :P

Usually biscornu are used as pin cushions or just ornaments. They are stuffed and sewn shut. I'd never heard of them either! There's also something called a humbug, which is a little pyramidal shape. Evidently a type of candy in the UK is shaped like that and the candy's name is humbug. These are just pretty, odd ornaments for the most part but the novelty of them is interesting and the embroidery can be lovely. Next I'll be embroidering door knob decorations. Yes, they exist...

So, you will probably see this finished in a few days. We shall see!

quiltingtrish
March 20th, 2016, 09:44 PM
Kim - "..keeps you off the streets". Too funny! Can't wait to see your embroidery.

kimsophia
March 21st, 2016, 01:05 AM
I wound up finishing the biscornu quicker than I thought but I had the basketball tournament games on TV so I wasn't going anywhere. I'm not satisfied with the buttons that I bought. They don't match the really glittery red seed beads, but you'll get an idea of what it looks like. I made a lot of mistakes but I learned a lot, too. I just don't know how to upload photos off of the camera so I'll let DH do it tomorrow.

toggpine
March 21st, 2016, 01:59 AM
Not much going on here this evening. I was working on my crochet practice bits. I don't think I'll be giving up quilting or sewing for this anytime soon. I want to learn enough to finish off a partially finished project for a family friend. It is slightly less cumbersome to transport on trips than the sewing, but then so is my cross stitch.

Tonight is our last night at the beach, we'll head out for home tomorrow morning. I had an update from the farm sitter that all is well at the homestead. That is always reassuring.

Happy hooting!

Sylvia H
March 21st, 2016, 03:14 AM
I didn't expect to be a night owl, but here I am. Something woke me up, and now I can't get back to sleep. Maybe an hour or two of TV and computer? I just hope my dog doesn't decide that he wants to go out! I don't like the wee hours in the morning potty breaks!

LauraP
March 21st, 2016, 05:07 AM
note to self---fresh out of the oven chocolate chip cookies are NOT good before bed snacks. Now I'm up with a blech stomach so while I wait for the digestive enzymes to work I will cut out the last few pieces of my quilt and then read for awhile.
It's a balmy 31 outside so I will sit in front of the fireplace and keep my toes warm.

kimsophia
March 21st, 2016, 05:45 AM
It's 28 degrees here, LauraP! Sitting in front of a fire sounds cozy! But I guess I'll just put my new furry lap quilt over me instead. Oh wait, that's a cat.

I've been reading some of the comments about the University of Northern Iowa's loss. It's the worst collapse in NCAA history as they were ahead by 12 points with only 35 seconds to go before the final buzzer. I went to Iowa State but I still feel for them as they'll be haunted by it for a while, I guess. The other Iowa team, the University of Iowa lost as well so my Cyclones will have to carry the flag.

I've been looking online for either better buttons or beads for my biscornu. It looks like opaque red beads from Michael's might be a match. However DH is awake so here's some photos.127999128000128001

MayinJerset
March 21st, 2016, 07:30 AM
Oh, What a marvelous intricate design in such tiny stitches! You have such talented hands and such great patience to make a work of art like that, it looks like an heirloom keepsake from the Victorian age.

Wasn't a Night Owl last night but slept through til 5am - should feel rested but all I feel is achy because of lying in one spot all night. Got some computer work done before heading off to get some coffee. The predicted 3-6" snow never arrived on Sat/Sunday but there is some snow on the lawn this morning. I don't care what it does outside I'm definitely putting all my Christmas and Snowman sweatshirt away today.

kimsophia
March 21st, 2016, 03:19 PM
Oh, What a marvelous intricate design in such tiny stitches! You have such talented hands and such great patience to make a work of art like that, it looks like an heirloom keepsake from the Victorian age.

Wasn't a Night Owl last night but slept through til 5am - should feel rested but all I feel is achy because of lying in one spot all night. Got some computer work done before heading off to get some coffee. The predicted 3-6" snow never arrived on Sat/Sunday but there is some snow on the lawn this morning. I don't care what it does outside I'm definitely putting all my Christmas and Snowman sweatshirt away today.

Thanks, May. I just see all the mistakes in it, but I'm glad it looks good to you. I would never embroider on 32 point linen again. My eyes and brain can't deal with it.

I am glad you are putting awake the winter sweatshirts? Do you have any spring ones? :)

MayinJerset
March 21st, 2016, 03:31 PM
That's my problem right now as I don't seem to have many spring weight sweats or tees to wear, guess it's time to do a little shopping.