PDA

View Full Version : looks like we will be gettinga new door tomorrow

asta
March 19th, 2016, 05:35 AM
We were very rudely awaken at 2:30 a.m. to the sounds of barking-my protective pup-and pounding/kicking at our front door. Well, some a$$ h*&^ managed to break the door down and enter our home, just as the police were pulling up. We are all safe but our door is now boarded up and the jerk is on his way to the county jail. Our local police were excellent, came fast and were very efficient and even stayed to help us secure our door.
Not sure if I could fall asleep right now so I guess I will be up for awhile.

CraftyJnet
March 19th, 2016, 05:46 AM
That's scary! Thank goodness the police came so quickly.

Bubby
March 19th, 2016, 07:06 AM
What a terrible way to wake up! I'm glad the police arrived as quickly as they did. It sounds as though the intruder was drunk and didn't know where he was. (((HUGS)))

Judy, USMC
March 19th, 2016, 07:07 AM
Glad the police got there quickly and you're safe! I know how afraid you must have been.

Midge
March 19th, 2016, 07:10 AM
Glad to hear the police were so quick getting to your home, Beth, and that everyone is ok. How frightening! Now the expense and trouble of a new front door. So sorry you were all scared out of your wits, but Good Dog deserves some extra belly rubs and treats!

KarenC
March 19th, 2016, 07:48 AM
Sorry you were so rudely awakened, but glad you are safe. Good that your local police arrived so quickly.

Cathy F
March 19th, 2016, 08:11 AM
Very scary indeed, glad you are all safe.

Grandma Nan
March 19th, 2016, 08:24 AM
What a frightening experience. So happy to hear that you are all ok, but that is still something you won't forget for a while. Good work on the part of the police in getting there quickly.
Hugs to you.

MayinJerset
March 19th, 2016, 08:54 AM
Thankful that you and family are safe, kudos to the police for their timely arrival and especially to your protective pub, Give that little doggie a special treat.

Carlie Wolf
March 19th, 2016, 10:17 AM
That's awful. So glad you have a dog to forewarn you. Very scary situation. I'm glad you are all safe.

grammaterry
March 19th, 2016, 11:21 AM
What a horrifying experience. ? I am so sorry for you. Now the reality of the door. They are expensive. Will your homeowners pay for this or will the county take care of it? Can you afford the deductible or will it be a tremendous burden. Do you need us to help you with this. I could send some money from Paypal, not a lot mind you, but the power of the forum might be able to get you what you need it you can't manage. Please let us know. Start a new thread called help with door and post a paypal address.

Simply Quilting
March 19th, 2016, 01:23 PM
Thankful that you and your family are safe. I had a friend several years ago who had a drunk who walked into her house, went through her house and laid in her son's bed while they were home. Thankfully, the son was not in his bed at the time.

Lori63
March 19th, 2016, 01:28 PM
Oh my, that had to be scary! Glad all you have to get is a new door! Give that dog lots of love!

auntiemern
March 19th, 2016, 01:38 PM
Oh Beth, so sorry this happened to you. Thank God your pup woke you up, and that the police arrived in a timely manner.
I don't know about your DH, but had the police not gotten there when they did, it would have had a completely different ending. He would have been severely beaten at the very least. It doesn't sound like he was drunk, but was out to rob you.
In this day and age, I hate to say it, but you need to stay locked and loaded in your home. The drug epidemic is out of control, and addicts will do anything to get money. The burglaries in my county and surrounding county's is also out of control. Stay safe, and try to sleep when you go back to bed.
Get a steel door, and have it installed with extra long screws...harder to break in....use extra long screws on your locks as well. (that is usually the weakest point.

cv quilter
March 19th, 2016, 01:42 PM
My goodness......what a frightening thing to wake to!!! Your doggy deserves an extra bone and pats and hugs, and kudos to the PD for showing up so quickly! Why in the world would anyone do such a thing? Obviously they didn't know you were home? It would be hard for me, too, to go back to bed/sleep. Hope that tonight is calmer for you. He's in jail, and hopefully will stay there for a long time. Bless you and many (( )) to you.

rebeccas-sewing
March 19th, 2016, 01:45 PM
Good grief!!! I'm glad you are okay. Any idea yet as to this guy's motivation?

asta
March 19th, 2016, 02:28 PM
Oh Beth, so sorry this happened to you. Thank God your pup woke you up, and that the police arrived in a timely manner.
I don't know about your DH, but had the police not gotten there when they did, it would have had a completely different ending. He would have been severely beaten at the very least. It doesn't sound like he was drunk, but was out to rob you.
In this day and age, I hate to say it, but you need to stay locked and loaded in your home. The drug epidemic is out of control, and addicts will do anything to get money. The burglaries in my county and surrounding county's is also out of control. Stay safe, and try to sleep when you go back to bed.
Get a steel door, and have it installed with extra long screws...harder to break in....use extra long screws on your locks as well. (that is usually the weakest point.

Great advice to put in longer screws! It is a steel door, the door held fine but the moldings around the doors window broke. It was the screws that held the dead bolt and latch that gave way, splintered the door frame and the inside moldings. One of the officers helped to secure the doorway and advised us to put in longer screws-good advice for all of us since the screws that come with lock sets only have about 3/4" screws, should put in larger 4"-5" ones.
grammaterry, we are fine, insurance will handle much of the cost and we can certainly handle any deductible, but thanks so much for the offer to help.

alliek
March 19th, 2016, 02:48 PM
Oh how awful!! Scary!! I am so afraid of that happening. We live out in the county in an area that does not have a great deal of patrol cars. They can be quite a distance if need to answer a call. I wish DH would let us get a dog, not to attack but to warn. God Bless you with peace and quiet for your heart and mind.

Patsquilting
March 19th, 2016, 04:19 PM
What a scary thing. Glad police were quick but most important, glad no one was injured. We were robbed 2 months ago, left the house in broad daylight and came home less than 3 hrs later to a broken window and missing jewelry. Just glad you are all OK.

K. McEuen
March 19th, 2016, 04:50 PM
Glad it all worked out for you. Nothing like having the crap scared out of you in the middle of the night.

Now I know why the locksmith that came and changed out the locks when we bought the house was so giddy with excitement when he noticed that the door frame was metal on the garage entry door. I'm thinking that we probably ought to have that on the two entry doors into the house too. The guy said most people never think about installing metal frames as well as doors.

jjkaiser
March 19th, 2016, 04:54 PM
Glad he didn't get very far and you are all safe! They make some really pretty storm doors with wrought iron scrolling you might want to consider. Would take some mighty strong steel boots and a crow bar to get in. They also come with deadbolts.

bubba
March 19th, 2016, 05:01 PM
That is scary! I came home from work on a holiday weekend when MM was up at the lake and there was somebody in the house! He was trying to get out the dog door and I yelled in a mean voice to stop right there because I had a gun and would shoot him. He went back in the house and I knew he was not getting out unless he broke a window since we have double key locks. I was yelling for neighbors to help...they were not home....and on the phone w/911 (where I had just left!) and running around the house to see if he was escaping. He did get out a window about ten feet off the ground w/out me seeing him, but the neighbor had just got home and he saw him and chased him after he jumped our six foot fence, but he got away. Another house on the next block was also burglarized as well. He got caught two nights later with stolen property from the other house. All our property was on our back porch in suitcases that he was able to get out the dog door.

MM had a job then where he was gone during the week so I was home alone. I would come home from work, lock all the doors and not go out till morning for weeks. A couple weeks later, I figured out he had been in my bed and had gone thru my underthings. Threw the sheets and underwear away as it creeped me out so much.

I am glad that you are all safe...it takes time, but you will get over it. Give that dog some extra scratches and snacks!!

K. McEuen
March 19th, 2016, 05:26 PM
Start a new thread called help with door and post a paypal address.

While your heart is in the right place Terry, asking for monetary donations like that is not allowed on the forum. If we let one, then we have to let them all and this is not a go fund me type site.

MRoy
March 19th, 2016, 05:36 PM
I'm glad you're okay and the guy was caught. I hope you don't have any long term effects from the trauma.

judimccl
March 19th, 2016, 06:04 PM
What a terrible thing to have to go through! But the important thing is that everyone is safe. :icon_wave:

bubba
March 19th, 2016, 06:25 PM
That is right. For deadbolt locks, use 2" screws into the frame and into the door. Our door is 2" think solid oak. I can remember when we moved in, our friend who was on the SWAT team looked at it and said we would not have to worry about anyone coming thru it. They had just tried that week with a battering ram and the door they needed to enter did not budge.

bakermom
March 19th, 2016, 07:22 PM
Scary! glad you're OK.

KathyCrofoot
March 19th, 2016, 09:42 PM
OMG! What a way to wake up. I'm glad you're all safe. Give the doggie a big hug from us here in Platteville! Glad the local PD was on the spot.

I recall one night a year or so ago, I had fallen asleep in the recliner and I heard someone banging on my window. Scared the bejebees out of me. They took to ringing the doorbell and I ran up the stairs to hubby's cell to call the PD. They were here quickly and caught the drunk college kid trying to get his roommate to wake up and open the door several doors down. Oops - wrong house, I guess.

stationarymom
March 20th, 2016, 01:50 AM
How scary I'm glad to hear that you are all safe.

Granny Judy
March 21st, 2016, 05:08 AM
There has been a rash of that happening here in our county.. What is wrong with people who think crash & enter pays off??? We keep 2 dogs and 1 hand gun at the ready...

snippet
March 21st, 2016, 11:25 AM
Oh gosh this is scary. I am glad you are safe. What was the guy up to?

I live alone so this would terrify me.

songbird857
March 21st, 2016, 06:47 PM
Beth - I'm grateful that you are all ok, and that the police got the guy. :)