PDA

View Full Version : So, it's Thursday AND St. Paddy's Day

Blondie
March 17th, 2016, 06:49 AM

Hello Folksies,

I reckon everyone will be Irish today - don't forget to wear your green. As I kissed hubby off to work, he was wearing his favorite green shirt. Although his heritage is mainly Scot, he does have a wee bit of the blarney as well. When we were dating that much was obvious. I must admit, I have enjoyed kissing that blarney stone many times during our marriage.

Work for the next few days and then a weekend with Sis and DD. The weather has been so lovely this week that I keep pinching myself. It's supposed to be chilly this weekend but as long as the sun shines I don't mind. I did get a lot of the plants out of the basement so they could wake up. I have a rex begonia that is looking really leggy, so that will get lopped. Our forsythia is finally blooming and I have noticed the bradford pears in full bloom while driving into town.

Hoping that each one here has a wonderful day - I may wander out in the yard in between clients and look for a four leaf clover.

SMILE.

Carlie Wolf
March 17th, 2016, 07:06 AM
Good morning Blondie :-) Ah yes definitely more than a wee bit o Irish today and everyday.

GMTA I too have been trimming my plants and getting them ready for their growth spurt. Purchased a pitch fork earlier this week and turned over my square garden. Going to get my spinach, lettuce, radish garden in Monday. AND I've decided to try a few potato plants this year so they will go amid that salad garden in a little over a week. Then I have to start using that pitch fork to do the narrow borderline fence sections. Pitch forks are a wonderful invention, so much easier than a shovel for us old folk :-)

dwil23
March 17th, 2016, 07:07 AM
Good Morning, all and Happy St Paddy's Day!

My Mom's father was Scotch-Irish(born in Canada) and this was his day for sure! St paddy's also brings back bitter sweet memories for me too. 20 years ago today, it was a Sunday, we went to dinner at Mom's house after Church as we always did. I fully expected a corn beef and cabbage spread - that was definitely a tradition with her. Instead, she had prepared everyone's favorite - roast and Yorkshire Pudding. When I said I was surprised with the menu, she had a strange smile on her face, and said "yeah, my Dad would roll over in his grave if he knew this, but I just felt like I should make a roast today for you all". Little did we know then that would be the last time Mom ever cooked for us. The next Sunday we went to a friend's birthday party and by that Tuesday, Mom was in ICU , never to come out. So hard to believe it has been 20 years on one hand, but it seems like an eternity ago, too.

Better get up from here and make some tracks. My cousins are coming for lunch today, and there is still so much to do. I have really neglected this house recently, working six days a week does that to me.

Hope everyone has a Blessed Day - saying prayers for those who have asked, and for those who haven't. Has anyone heard from Cyndi since she last posted?

MayinJerset
March 17th, 2016, 07:26 AM
127826 Happy St. Paddy's Day! I'm not Irish but I have to wear my green scarf today. Don't do the traditional dinner any longer as it's too much to make for just the 2 of us but a hot corned beef sandwich on good rye bread might be on the menu tonight.

Monique
March 17th, 2016, 07:32 AM
Happy St. Patrick's Day everyone.

Yesterday I was scheduled for a pedicure that Les bought me for Christmas. The toenails were so long she could have done a French Manicure. Anywho, Maizyn ended up with a mani-pedi while waiting for my toenails to dry. Hers are purple and pink and mine are red. She kept thinking that Papa should have been there too for our special day. I don't think Papa wanted purple toenails. LOL!!

Today I going to pick up a treadle machine from one of the ladies from the retreat. So this afternoon, Maizyn and I are going on an adventure.

Have a great day everyone.

Carol336
March 17th, 2016, 08:03 AM
Happy Saint Patty's Day!!!! We did our corned beef and cabbage dinner for some lovely neighbors a couple of weeks ago. Was truly yummy, but I honestly had my fill so will pass on it today.

DH and I are taking a drive to Ocean City today. When we were there last weekend, my Dancing Queen friends had a little trip to a sweet little Boutique that has very unique clothing and this girl got talked into some outfits that just didn't seem to look as great once I got home. I've recently lost 40 lbs (20 yet to go) and I just don't want to wear anything that doesn't flatter the figure I'm trying to cultivate here!!! The one outfit is a long black top and a very long red and black floral silky over vest - almost coat length, sleveless, lots of material......just the kind of thing I wore when I was trying to cover up the rolls...I just feel like a little less material would be so much better. DH agrees - so much so that he's willing to drive me 150 miles to return them.....is he special or what. Hold on I'm gonna go see if I have a pic of the black outfit - keep in mind I would be wearing dressier pants and not tennis shoes.
Opinions please......Keep or return???????

Oh and we're talking mucho bucks here too!!!!

Ginny B
March 17th, 2016, 08:15 AM
127829 Top 'o the Mornin' to you. Tis a fine day for the wearing of the green. But no corned beef and cabbage here. I have never liked corned beef. My grandmother would make it each year but I ate mostly the veggies. I actually like ham and cabbage and love cabbage and potato leftovers. We will be having Shepherd's Pie tonight. DH helped me get it all prepared last night so all that needs to be done is pop it in the oven and wait to eat. We did have a bit of Irish Soda bread last night and will enjoy more of it later.

My daffodils are blooming happily and so are my hyacinths and crocus. Tulips are up but not blooming quite yet and my tiger lilies have popped their little heads up out of the ground. So I guess Spring is really here.... with some possible snow this weekend.

Time to get this part-Irish girl jigging along this morning. Have a wonderful day all. 127830

songbird857
March 17th, 2016, 08:41 AM
Morning all :)
Carol, regarding the outfit - if YOU don't love it, take an enjoyable drive with hubby and return it - not worth having if you'll never want to pull it out of the closet and wear it ;)

Happy St. Paddy's Day - definitely much Irish in me! My grandmother's maiden name was Cushing, which had been shortened from Cushnahan. Her uncle was Cardinal Cushing of Boston - yep - definite strong Irish lines ;)

I finally got back in the sewing room this week, after a month's hiatus due to vacations, illness, and other assorted fun stuff... I'm making a cute little summer dress for my friend's daughter, who will be turning 1 in a couple of days. I'll post pics after I've hemmed it - it's soooo cute!
There's a bit of a silver lining on the horizon - I'll share more as I'm able; just know that God is good, and gracious in troubled times :)
I hope everyone has a fantastic day today!

Cathy F
March 17th, 2016, 09:20 AM
Morning all,
Yup, my Irish eyes are smiling this morning! Sun is shining looks to be a nice day.

I have to teach an early class tonight so we decided no corned beef and cabbage. However I did make my Irish soda bread yesterday and my husband would rather eat that.

Took advantage of today's daily deal, I have a 6" spinning mat I love for small projects so I know I'll love this bigger one.

Not much on my agenda today kind of a lazy laid back day. Hugs to all today!

Bubby
March 17th, 2016, 09:27 AM
Happy St Pat's Day Everyone,

We are eating corned beef and cabbage at the Catholic church this evening. They are wonderful cooks and their fellowship hall is very nice.

Our weather is cooling off a bit and we are expecting a hard freeze this weekend. I hope our lilies and trees don't get nipped back. We always get a little freeze before Spring comes to stay. I can't wait to plant flowers and get our yard in shape.

Wishing everyone a great day. 127833

ceiliam
March 17th, 2016, 09:35 AM
Morning all. Blondie love your saying .school today have enjoyed this class. Humanitarian project tonite, so busy day. Had to remake collar on a blouse this blouse is one if it can go wrong it has.
Hope you all have a wonderful St. Patrick's day

SewnByBee
March 17th, 2016, 10:06 AM
127834 Good Morning.
Will be wearing something with green in it, around here you get pinched , if you don't. I'm not sure why but that's what happens if you don't..... lol. So green it is.

Have fun today whatever you do. Hope a pot of gold drops out of the sky or is found under a rainbow somewhere. Today. I can remember looking for it when we we're kids.........nope......never found it.....but we sure had a lot of fun trying.........I wonder if kids even know about it today ???

Be blessed, prayers for you in need, hugs to all.

��My mom could pick a four leave clover most every time she looked. Must have been something to do with that green thumb of hers.....lol.........much luck to you all.

amartin24
March 17th, 2016, 10:31 AM
Good morning all and Happy St. Patrick's Day! I don't have any Irish blood in me but my husband is 1/2 Irish (last name Martin!) I put the corned beef in the crockpot before I left for work. When I get home, I put the potatoes and cabbage, along with the juice from the corned beef in my pressure cooker. Cooks up in only 10-15 minutes. I'm looking forward to a Lancaster, PA weekend for the quilt show. Taking my 14 yr. old daughter and we are staying in a lovely bed & breakfast. Can't wait to hit all the quilt shops!

JCY
March 17th, 2016, 11:54 AM
Happy St. Paddy's Day to All ~

Cloudy here with predicted snow: 4-6" tonight into tomorrow. We've actually had less snow than usual for March, which normally is our snowiest mo. of the year along the Front Range of the Rockies. I have a dental appt. today to finish up my dental work & put on the perm. crown. Of course, the crown work was not covered by our insurance, so the cost was all out of pocket.

I hope every one has a good day.

rebeccas-sewing
March 17th, 2016, 12:36 PM
Happy St. Patrick's Day. I have an Irish friend who posts on Facebook every year that it's not Patty. It's Paddy. He's emphatic about it but it makes no sense to me. There's no "d" in Patrick. Any input on this? Heck, I decided to "google" it. Here we go: Paddy, Not Patty | A Modest Proposal to the People of the New World (http://paddynotpatty.com)

MayinJerset
March 17th, 2016, 10:02 PM
Happy St. Patrick's Day. I have an Irish friend who posts on Facebook every year that it's not Patty. It's Paddy. He's emphatic about it but it makes no sense to me. There's no "d" in Patrick. Any input on this? Heck, I decided to "google" it. Here we go: Paddy, Not Patty | A Modest Proposal to the People of the New World (http://paddynotpatty.com)

Your friend is right. My FIL was called Paddy (his name was Vincent but that's another story). Oor son Patrick was called Paddy when he was younger, as an adult he prefers Pat.