PDA

View Full Version : What's everyone serving?

Cathy F
March 16th, 2016, 03:45 PM
Easter is fast approaching and looks like I'll be hosting another holiday. I did a lot of cooking for Christmas and thinking I'm going to make this a more relaxed get together.

Thinking of a buffet, spiral ham, rolls and breads for sandwiches, roasted potato salad, pasta and shrimp salad, deviled eggs, pineapple casserole and various desserts.

What's on your menu? Always looking for new ideas!

KPH
March 16th, 2016, 03:49 PM
I have no idea! No joke, we're on hold waiting for the baby's on the way call, so I've not made any plans. Knowing my luck, we'll still be home waiting Easter. I guess I better make a little plan, just in case.

Sylvia H
March 16th, 2016, 03:54 PM
I'll have to ask my daughter-in-law and get back to you! I will bring something - often it is the wine. BTW, reisling goes well with ham. If I can work it in, though, I would like to make hummus for a vegetable appetizer, and also kifli (cookies). We shall see, though, if the domestic fairy lands in my kitchen!

My daughter-in-law enjoys cooking (I do too). But having the dinners at her house is a better fit for combining our different families.

jjkaiser
March 16th, 2016, 04:19 PM
Cheesy corn casserole, kind of like a souffle, with eggs, milk, cheese, and corn--is always on our holiday table.

Dollyquilts
March 16th, 2016, 04:23 PM
Easter falls on my SIL's birthday. We usually have a combined Easter/BD combination, although of course the date changes. He always requests turkey and dressing and all the trimmings. I make my refrigerator yeast rolls. Depending on the size of the crowd, I sometimes buy a Honey Baked Ham. It's kind of a labor-intensive meal, but we love it.

KarenC
March 16th, 2016, 04:28 PM
Nothing yet. Growing up, we always had barbecue chicken with my cousins coming over for the day.

Carol336
March 16th, 2016, 04:37 PM
Leg of Lamb and roasted asparagus (recipe on another thread). The kids will bring the go withs.

sewbizzy
March 16th, 2016, 05:37 PM
We are having ham, potato salad, baked pineapple, macaroni and cheese, rolls, and for dessert pumpkin rolls and jello cake...
we aren't sure yet how many will be able to come for dinner, so the menu may be added to later on...

MayinJerset
March 16th, 2016, 06:03 PM
Nothing so far as DS#2, his DW, their oldest DD and her DH all will be in New Orleans for Easter weekend as their other DD's baby boy's Christening. If the the weather is nice DH and I may take a ride down The Shore and stop for a fresh fish dinner. Will have to be at one of the smaller places as all the big restaurants will be booked up.

bubba
March 16th, 2016, 06:23 PM
Spiral ham, potato salad, olives, jello, rolls and whatever the kids would bring. This year, I doubt I am making an Easter dinner. My son in law is leaving for a deployment 4/9 and will be gone a year. I told him I'd make him a dinner before he left and it is on 3/26 and I'm making a brined brisket for him, his request.

grandma nurse
March 16th, 2016, 11:31 PM
Pickled beet eggs are our family tradition. Does anyone else make these?

Elaine21
March 16th, 2016, 11:56 PM
It will just be the hubby and I for Easter, so it won't be a big feast. Although, I do love turkey, and any chance I get to make one, I usually do!

bajasadie
March 17th, 2016, 12:06 AM
BTW, loved your pink & white Irish Chain ;)

K. McEuen
March 17th, 2016, 12:16 AM
Pickled beet eggs are our family tradition. Does anyone else make these?

We grew up with purple eggs. I've never known anyone else that made them and most people look at me like I am nuts when I say anything about them.

bajasadie
March 17th, 2016, 12:22 AM
I like roasted or pickled beets and I like soft or boiled eggs....but please share the recipe for pickled beet eggs. Thank you!

stationarymom
March 17th, 2016, 01:13 AM
I'm going out with my family and my inlaws.We go out to brunch almost every year.

K. McEuen
March 17th, 2016, 01:43 AM
I like roasted or pickled beets and I like soft or boiled eggs....but please share the recipe for pickled beet eggs. Thank you!

My mom just boiled her eggs, peeled when cool, placed in a large jar and poured pickled beets and the juice over the eggs to cover. Place in the refrigerator at least 24 hours before serving. I like 2 days in there as the eggs get darker and more pickled flavor (and color.)

kensington
March 17th, 2016, 01:56 AM
My mom just boiled her eggs, peeled when cool, placed in a large jar and poured pickled beets and the juice over the eggs to cover. Place in the refrigerator at least 24 hours before serving. I like 2 days in there as the eggs get darker and more pickled flavor (and color.)

Good grief people... what are you smokin? ROTFLOL.

I knew an Italian woman who dropped the boiled, peeled eggs into her Sauce. It was one of those things in the pot with the meatballs, sausages, and pork neck bones.

JCY
March 17th, 2016, 11:57 AM
Nothing special at our house due to DH's food allergies, etc. He eats the same ole same ole every day, every meal. Boring, but it's what he can tolerate. I don't fix anything special for myself. I buy frozen entrees by Amy & a few by Atkins for my treats. No muss, no fuss, & it's ready in 5 min. or less.

alliek
March 17th, 2016, 01:22 PM
I would Love to have a spiral ham and such, unfortunately, I have been out voted. So.... we are going with an eye round roast beef, which seems to be everyone's favorite. Oven roasted potatoes,carrots with sugar snap peas, spinach souffle,and salad, round out the meal. Dessert is Ricotta cheese pie and an Ice cream birthday cake. We have three to celebrate that day as well. I hope they can fit all the names on one cake!! DD has to leave the next day, so this will be a quick holiday but at at least we will be together. God Bless, Love to all.

Bubby
March 17th, 2016, 04:51 PM
I wish we could eat at Carol's (sewbizzy). It sounds so-o-o good.!!!!!

We are having chicken baked with lemons an fresh herbs and oven roasted spring vegetables....asparagus,new potatoes, peas and baby carrots. Add some homemade rolls and something light for dessert and it's a wrap.

MayinJerset
March 17th, 2016, 09:47 PM
Good grief people... what are you smokin? ROTFLOL.

I knew an Italian woman who dropped the boiled, peeled eggs into her Sauce. It was one of those things in the pot with the meatballs, sausages, and pork neck bones.

Never dropped boiled eggs into my sauce but I knew a few people who did. We did use pork neck bones. Sometimes money was tight and we couldn't afford both meat balls and sausage so mom would tell me to buy some neckbones to flavor her sauce. After the sauce was done she and I would remove the neckbones and suck all the bits of meat out as cook's treat.

mischiefkat
March 17th, 2016, 10:09 PM
My Italian aunts' mother dropped raw eggs into her sauce,to poach them. It was by far one of the awfullest food combinations I have ever heard of. kathy

Mom23
March 17th, 2016, 11:11 PM
Just made my brunch menu and shopping for 70 people today. Egg Casserole, French Toast Casserole, Ham, Sausage, Biscuits & Gravy, Fruit Salad, Boiled Eggs, Banana Bread, Coffee, Juices and Milk. Some of the people will bring snack type items but it works best for us to cook everything. Not everybody goes to the same Mass so there are different arrival and departure times. As always, I will pray for good weather so we can get outside.

We also make pickled beet eggs with beet juice, and pickled eggs with pickle juice and vinegar. I ordered 10 dozen eggs from my "egg lady" but I might have to add to that so I can pickle a dozen or two!!

mischiefkat
March 17th, 2016, 11:13 PM
On a much tastier note, I'm serving ham, creole beans, potato salad,rolls,and fixing a relish tray. Thinking about lemon tart,and key lime pie for desert. Kathy

easyquilts
March 17th, 2016, 11:44 PM
Our family will gather at my son's new home fir Easter dinner.... We're having a traditional ham dinner... I've been asked to bring my baked beans... I have never really used a Revioe..... I just keep adding the ingredients until the beans small and taste right... So, I hope they turn out right... I still make my baked beans the same way my mom did...

jjkaiser
March 18th, 2016, 02:00 AM
I just got home from work. Holy cow I am just starving reading about all these delicious dishes everyone will be making!! It makes me wish I could sample them all.

carolynrae
March 18th, 2016, 03:11 AM
Easy Easter this year with just me and hubby. Ham, deviled eggs, baked mac and cheese, some sort of salad and Dutch Apple Pie for desert.

Juliet Taylor
March 18th, 2016, 10:27 AM
I have no clue what we will eat on Easter. I'll be at my MIL and she said it's a surprise.
But gave me the honor to bring something so I'll bring an homemade focaccia :)

I really wonder what we eat because we're also going to celebrate my 30th birthday!

mario1360
March 18th, 2016, 11:29 AM
this year I will marinate 3 large pork tenderloins 36 hours ahead of time, Asian recipe, roast them the day before over a warm water bath ,slice them at serving time.
hot mustard warm potato salad
small dice mixed vegetables, artichoke and baby shrimp salad stuffed in tomato shells.
white sheet cake, sweetened frozen strawberry slurry and whipped cream.
a batch of caramelized popcorn and peanuts
Irish coffee.

auntiemern
March 18th, 2016, 02:58 PM
Not sure what we will be doing that day. Don't have DD's work schedule yet, and my entire life (except retreat week) is dictated by her work schedule. My grands have never spent a single day in day care, and have had a minimal amount of baby sitters. Only family or very close friends. So it all depends on that.. Would be nice if she is off and can do the cooking.

MayinJerset
March 18th, 2016, 07:49 PM
Nothing so far as DS#2, his DW, their oldest DD and her DH all will be in New Orleans for Easter weekend as their other DD's baby boy's Christening. If the the weather is nice DH and I may take a ride down The Shore and stop for a fresh fish dinner. Will have to be at one of the smaller places as all the big restaurants will be booked up.

UPDATE:
After reading all the wonderful foods you all are making I'm drooling so I decided that DH and I will have a nice meal at home. Have a big chunk of our Christmas ham in the freezer that will be just right for an Easter meal, add a batch of lightly sweetened yams, some roasted Spring veggies and a thick apple pie too.

K. McEuen
March 18th, 2016, 08:35 PM
UPDATE:
After reading all the wonderful foods you all are making I'm drooling so I decided that DH and I will have a nice meal at home. Have a big chunk of our Christmas ham in the freezer that will be just right for an Easter meal, add a batch of lightly sweetened yams, some roasted Spring veggies and a thick apple pie too.

Ha! The grass is always greener ...

When I read your first post May, I was thinking how wonderful it would be to be able to stop somewhere for a fresh fish meal.

MayinJerset
March 18th, 2016, 09:12 PM
Ha! The grass is always greener ...

ISN'T IT! Living by The Shore we do have lots of places to get fresh fish meals so I guess we don't appreciate what we have and look over the fence for something different.

Wwena
March 20th, 2016, 09:31 AM
There will definatly be salmon, which is very traditional on Easter in Sweden. Cooked or cured in every way imaginable. :) We also always have (painted) eggs, herring (usually a variety of different kinds of inlaid herring - I have yet to learn to like herring though), potatoes, mini sausages, meatballs and spring salads. After this there's the traditional Easter cake.

We will be going to relatives and we've been asked to bring a couple of dishes and a LOT of candy. :)

MaryUK
March 20th, 2016, 09:11 PM
Just hubby and myself unfortunately so we're having roast chicken with roast potatoes, Yorkshire pudding, a selection of veg, sage and onion stuffing and apple sauce. May round it off with a traditional apple pie and custard. Hope you all have a lovely day x