PDA

View Full Version : Just for fun.......

SewnByBee
March 16th, 2016, 01:23 PM
Well people keep asking me what we're going they be called by the grand baby..........I don't know..... we already have a Granny, a Paw Paw, a GG and a Granna has been oproved by the other grandma...... Maw and Paw is taken too. ........I kinda thought about just " B" but what would Micheal be called. He's always been Daddy, would Daddy Carter be a good idea, his daddy was Granddaddy .....so I don't think he could be confidential about that. Can you think of something clever. .........I just can't think of a unique but special name..... for us to be called.....share any ideas please. My mom was Momma" O" and I can't be Mamma B cause it got used by the other grandmother of my nephew. Uuuuhhhhhggg.............help.

kensington
March 16th, 2016, 01:31 PM
My mom was Nana, and I am Nana. My sister was Nonnie to her grandkids.

QuiltingRN
March 16th, 2016, 02:20 PM
I am Grammie, hubs is Granpa. It is hard to choose!

Dollyquilts
March 16th, 2016, 02:26 PM
My kids called my mom Mimi. My nieces and nephews called my brother Poppy.

KPH
March 16th, 2016, 02:27 PM
I'm grandma, Howard was always - it doesn't matter- Jonathan decided Howard was Pa'pa.

My best friend was Gaga (just like Lady Gaga).

You need that pottery place that comes to the Christmas Show... they have every grandparent name possible. I'll see if I can find the card or a link

K. McEuen
March 16th, 2016, 02:29 PM
My mom was never called Grandma. When my oldest nephew was bout 2, he started calling her Sweetie. That stuck with her through all the grandkids. It was Sweetie and Papa.

geegeequilts
March 16th, 2016, 02:40 PM
What about BeeBee? I don't have an idea for Michael. Personally, I like the granddparents to have a nickname that suits them. In my family (inlaws included) were Memaw & Pepaw, Mawmaw & Pawpaw, Mammaw & Pappaw, Nanny & Pawpaw, & finally Meme & Papa. Whew! My nephews (brother's) called my Mom Little Nanny & bro's MIL Big Nanny. Funny thing about THAT was the fact that they were the same size 'cept in the chest area...think about it, LOL!!!!

Another one...Little Bee?

Envious that I don't have any grandkids, want them but probablly won't get them, sigh.

Gina

Jean Marie
March 16th, 2016, 02:55 PM
I'm grandma to Isabelle but grandma Jean to my youngest son's wife's boys. My parents were always big grandma and big grandpa (named by Isabelle as they are both big people lol) Her other grandparents are Nana and papa. How's about grandma BB? Or just BB?

bubba
March 16th, 2016, 02:56 PM
Our oldest grandboy, Tyler, called us Mamaw and Bampa, but outgrew that to grandma and grandpa. His brother calls us Bunga (me) and Boppa (MM). Bunga came about from Mel who has a hearing disability and that is what she called us because that is what grandma and grandpa sounded like to her. Sadly, she no longer calls us that :( I think Ashtyn still does because he sees his other grandparents on a regular basis and calls them grandma and grandpa. I hope he calls us that forever because I love it! He calls Tyler, BigB, for Big Brother. I have never heard him call him by name. He calls my other daughter Auntie, as does Tyler, and all the girls call our other daughter Auntie as well.

My grandparents were MamaMimi and Grandpa (my moms parents) and Grandma for the other. I never knew my other grandpa. my mom and dad were grandma and grandpa and MM's were granny and grandpa. Heather is their oldest grandchild and that was what she named them.

Yours will also name you and you will love it!!

Jean Marie
March 16th, 2016, 02:57 PM
Sorry , didn't see BB was suggested.

Jean Marie
March 16th, 2016, 03:06 PM
I know polish for grandma is Busha , that's what my great grandma was and I think Jaja for grandpa. Lol, I'm not sure of the spelling.

auntiemern
March 16th, 2016, 03:11 PM
I am Granny and my DH is PawPaw....I do like Nonny and Poppy too. But then I like Mamaw and Pappy also. Do a google search of grandparent names and you may come up with something that suits you.

Angelia
March 16th, 2016, 03:19 PM
I am Abuela.

Bubby
March 16th, 2016, 03:24 PM
My grands call me Bubby, which means grandma in Polish and Yiddish. I like it because it's different and it begins with B, which is my initial, too.

Cathy F
March 16th, 2016, 03:24 PM
My grandchildren call us Grammy and Papa.

seaturtle
March 16th, 2016, 03:35 PM
As someone said earlier, your grandchildren name you. When my 1st GS was about 2, he started calling me Honey because that's what he heard my husband call me and he thought that was my name. He called my husband Ompah-doo, which was a mixture of Ompah-lompah and Scooby-doo. Those names just stuck after that.

Preeti
March 16th, 2016, 03:57 PM
In Hindi
Father's Father = Dadaji
Father's Mother = Dadiji
Mother father = Nanaji
Mother's Mother = Naniji
Yes, "JI" is a mark of respect and must be added to everyone's salutation.

Sylvia H
March 16th, 2016, 03:58 PM
My husband's family used MomMom and PopPop. So, I am MomMom to my only grandchild - and if there is another, I am pretty sure my name will be the same.

ceiliam
March 16th, 2016, 04:04 PM
My grandparents were Mamie and Popeye. My great-nephew calls me Yamma Ceil ,will take it all day long.my sisters grandkids call my brother in law papa, but sometimes they make their own names up.

URIBARRI-MAYOR
March 16th, 2016, 04:05 PM
I read your thread and although my language is different, I see that you also use different names, I think it is due to the state you live each, here I put the names we use in my language Mother-"Ama" Grandma-"Amama" and Great-grandmother-"Biramona" about men Father-"Aita" Grandfather- "Aitite"Great-grandfather-"Biraitona" so I am a "Amama"

mischiefkat
March 16th, 2016, 04:18 PM
My boys called MGF Poppop still do. I was originally Ama now Gramdma. PGranparents were grandpa and grandma last name.

SallyO'Sews
March 16th, 2016, 04:28 PM
DH and I are Poppy and Grammy. We both have music degrees, and I figured as long as I'm never going to get one, I might as well be called one... :icon_rolleyes:

My grandmother was named Charlie (her mom was sure she was carrying a boy. She always hated it, which is not surprising since she was born in 1900). Her various grandchildren called her Chawie (because my sister could not say her name), which eventually sounded more like Choy; Granny by one set of cousins; Gunny by another; and Ging-ging by the youngest cousin.

Since my maiden name was O'Neill, we called my dad's folks PopO and MomO, with a capital O at the end of each.

cv quilter
March 16th, 2016, 04:41 PM
We have grandchildren who call us Gma and Gpa, and others called us Gramma and Grampa. As the two oldest grew up, it was Grandma and Grandpa.. Works for us. We pretty much just want them to call us LOL

SewnByBee
March 16th, 2016, 04:44 PM
These are all so grate. I knew there would be lot's and lot's of cool names. I LOVE the way everyone is unique for their families. This has been a fun read Thank you all for sharing these with me. I can't wait till Michael gets home to show him. We really have been putting thought to this. Michael says he don't care as long as he is called....... but with the other grand parents I hate to have more name confusion.... seeing that we have three Michael's has been a doosie for the other little ones......lol.

So if you think of something, please share. I am much inspired and impressed. Still smiling over Sweety......that's Too cute........Iove it.

LauraP
March 16th, 2016, 05:38 PM
my kids called my mom Honey cuz that's what she always called them. The other grandkids called her Grandma Mac (last name McManis). My grandkids call me grandma Laura and my new husband Mr. Bob. He is the only grandfather figure they knew on their mom's side of the family until right before their real grandfather died. I think they just called him Mom's dad. My grandmother was Grandmama.

MayinJerset
March 16th, 2016, 05:49 PM
We're just plain Grandma and Grandpa to our grandkids.

We live in Jersey and our parents lived in Brooklyn, NY. One day when my oldest son was about 4 I told him that we were going to grandma's house and he asked, "Grandma Millie or Grandma Annie?" That became how we referred to his grandmothers and the grandfathers became Grandpa Augie and Grandpa Paddy.

Growing up I had only one grandparent alive, we called him Grandpa and so did all the kids in the neighborhood.

bubba
March 16th, 2016, 06:31 PM
After reading this again, I remembered we have a friend whose wife had twin boys. I saw them around both sets of their grandparents when they were about four. They called our friends mom white grandma and the other black grandma......because of the color of their hair!!!

SewnByBee
March 16th, 2016, 06:42 PM
Out of the mouths of babes.......... this is why us choosing might be a better idea.........lol..........♡♡♡

SuzyQue
March 16th, 2016, 06:45 PM
I am Oma and hubby prefers grandpa. I wanted something different and this is a German form of Nana. It fit our family heritage.

bubba
March 16th, 2016, 06:56 PM
Out of the mouths of babes.......... this is why us choosing might be a better idea.........lol..........♡♡♡

You can choose all you want, but they will name you anyway!

easyquilts
March 16th, 2016, 07:14 PM
Granddaddy....for sure!

Cokie
March 16th, 2016, 07:18 PM
All these names are making me smile. I don't have any grandchildren yet. My oldest son called my parents grandma and papa, until one day my dad told him, "Go tell your old granny" something, and then he called her granny until he got older, then they were grandma and grandpa. My youngest couldn't say Granny so when he first started talking, he called her Gee-gaw, which my mom said sounded like an old mule! As he got a little older, he called her Nanny and my dad Papa, and now he's in his 20's and calls them Nana and Papa.

My cousin married a lady who had been married before, so he had lots of grandparents on both his mom's side of the family, his adopted dad's side (my cousin), and his biological dad's family. He got confused when it came to his great grandparents, so he just called them "The Great Ones." He's see an elderly person driving and say, "There goes another great one!"

I think Bubby is right - you can decide what you think you want to be called, but your grandbaby will name you and you'll love it!

SewnByBee
March 16th, 2016, 07:56 PM
You can choose all you want, but they will name you anyway!

You are so right..... my mom was Momma O but my son just called her Moe......it was really cute when he said it. .....I don't care but I don't want to confuse it......

Monique
March 16th, 2016, 08:25 PM
I am E to Maizyn and Les is Papa. She has two grandmas, and a nanna already. I have no idea where the E came from but that's me and she won't call me anything else.

grammaterry
March 16th, 2016, 08:29 PM
If this is your first grandchild, relax. They will pick a name for you. That's how I became grammaterry and its grampa HAT. Our first couldn't say Grampa Hank. So the first two picked those names. When more came along, they followed in their cousins footsteps. I didn't get a choice. Nineteen babies later, that just happens to be who we are. At the restaurant, I became Miss Terry because we had a cute little waitress with southern manners that told everyone who came in she would check wih Miss Terry. So, 9 yrs have gone by and I see people on the street and I'm Miss Terry to our town.

Navy Wife
March 16th, 2016, 08:49 PM
My DH informed our kids that he didn't want any cute names! He was Grandad, and that was that! I became Grandma, and we still are to 4 married grandchildren, their spouses, and 4 great grands. Sometimes it works!

Hulamoon
March 16th, 2016, 11:26 PM
My five step grands kids call us all by name. Grama Lorie...grama Deb..etc. My birth dd's son is only 5 mos old. So far my my dd say's give grama a kiss bye. I guess I have awhile to find out!

Momama
March 17th, 2016, 01:18 AM
My mom was Nana, and I am Nana. My sister was Nonnie to her grandkids.
That's what I was going to say, my Grandkids call me Gram.

Momama
March 17th, 2016, 01:27 AM
That's what I was going to say, my Grandkids call me Gram.

My DH's dad was called Bebop, My DS is 35, don't know how he came up with that when he was little, but all the grand babies call him that. Now with our Grandkids, they all call my DH Bebop!

GaGa
March 17th, 2016, 02:29 AM
We are GaGa and PaPa because that's what the first grandchild called us when she started talking and it just stuck. My parents were Grammy and Grampy to our children. As bubba said, they will name you and it will melt your heart!

KaylaWalker
March 17th, 2016, 11:11 AM
How about Nana B and Papa M?

alliek
March 17th, 2016, 01:25 PM
I vote for Nana,nannie,Poppie, nonnie. My mom is known as Oma (German for grannie). I think the male would be Opa. Enjoy the search! Whatever your called, you will be LOVED!

SewnByBee
March 17th, 2016, 01:40 PM
Bubba is what the kid's called their Grate grand mother...... I love all the names the little ones say. I only had one grand parent living as I grew up, my Paw Paw.

This has been so much fun and very insightful. So I'll let you know when we decide. Michael calls me Bee all the time. That's one of the reasons I think it will be used. I've just gotta come up with his. But It will come I'm sure.
This is so cute, I love it.
..............................127837....RIGHT :icon_heh:

klgls
March 17th, 2016, 02:11 PM
When the GKs were little they called me Dah (don't know why - but they did). Now mostly they call me Grandma and if they need to distinguish between the grandmothers, it's Grandma Grant. Sometimes the 5 year-old still calls me Dah. I love it. The ex is Papa Ron - always has been. My parents are Nana and Papa to all the GKs and GGks. They have 42 GGKs and another on the way.

K. McEuen
March 17th, 2016, 03:13 PM
Just to throw it out there ... like most have said, the kids will determine what they call you. My monster-in-law insisted that she be called GRANDMOTHER by all the g-kids. She probably would have gone for Queen if she thought she could pull it off ...

judimccl
March 17th, 2016, 05:16 PM
My first granddaughter was born 26 years ago and when she started to talk she called me Nani. Well I also had a niece born at the same time and she heard Shellby calling me Nani, and so she did too. Well, fast forward to now, and I have 5 grandchildren and 5 great-grandchildren who all call me Nani! The cute thing is that the spouses of the grandchildren also call me Nani :icon_wave:

SewnByBee
March 17th, 2016, 08:56 PM
Just to throw it out there ... like most have said, the kids will determine what they call you. My monster-in-law insisted that she be called GRANDMOTHER by all the g-kids. She probably would have gone for Queen if she thought she could pull it off ...

THAT'S A GOOD ONE.... ROTF..........LOL...... GOT ME REAL GOOD.....THANK YOU. ..............I THOUGHT MINE ( MIL) WAS A (STUBBORN OLD GOAT)
SHIIIIISH.........STILL GIGGLING......

bec
March 18th, 2016, 12:03 AM
I'm grandma to Isabelle but grandma Jean to my youngest son's wife's boys. My parents were always big grandma and big grandpa (named by Isabelle as they are both big people lol) Her other grandparents are Nana and papa. How's about grandma BB? Or just BB?

Jean...my son called my mom big mamaw. One day I was going to take them to visit and he wanted to know if we were going to mamaw's or to big mamaw's. I thought he was calling his great grandma "big mamaw" because she was a pretty heavy lady. Turns out he was calling my mom big mamaw because she was tall. He's 38 and still calls her that. She loved that he came up with a special name for her. :)

bec
March 18th, 2016, 12:05 AM
I am E to Maizyn and Les is Papa. She has two grandmas, and a nanna already. I have no idea where the E came from but that's me and she won't call me anything else.

Maybe she heard people say your name and she heard the strong E sound in it. So that's what she called you.

dwil23
March 18th, 2016, 03:00 AM
I am galled "grammie", but my friend's grands call her "Mimi". I've heard some called "GiGi"

What about BeeBee?

Grandpa Mike?

dwil23
March 18th, 2016, 03:04 AM

My sister and I called our Dad's mother "Big Grandma" and our Mom's mother "Little Grandma". Definitely had to do with their size - Big Grandma was a large woman and pretty tall for a woman in her day and Little Grandma was petite.

EnumclawGramma
March 18th, 2016, 07:10 AM
DH is Papa to ALL the grands. To my son's kiddos I am Gramma. But to my DD's daughter, I am GRAMS. I love that one!

auntiemern
March 18th, 2016, 03:11 PM
My grand kids referred to my mom Old Grandma....they would correct people when they referred to me as Grandma. 'That is not grandma, that is Granny, and that is old grandma...the each have a quilt that my sis made them out of 'old grandma's' clothes, that the each treasure.

SewnByBee
March 18th, 2016, 09:26 PM
So to fill you in on why I need to come up with something now is because the shower is tomorrow.
Instead of cards DH suggested a book to be signed and dated to start him a little reading nook. She learned to long he books from a early age, and wants to share the love ve of reading with Reese.
So.......I need to sign the books we out for our special little baby boy. That's when I thought......... and what am I going to put.........so...........

You have all made this a very fun and in lightning......exploration. Cause we were letting t ridet, for the time being. Then while getting the gifts together, there's the books. I really wanted to write in.

........Conclusions..we will sign as
Micheal..likes..... PawPaw....
He says I'm B......hes called me that forever......... short for My Baby.
At least this give the little guy a starting point. Whatever he does with it will be fine...........I hope you have had as much fun as I have......

One of my Be is German so I knew Oma, when one of you said it.

The other Grandma has chosen Granna...... I've not heard it before. I of course obligated with gladness...... I want everyone to feel and be a special part of his world. One real funny and quite challenging one he will face is my son, his Uncle John Michael. That mat take a little while.......☺😉 .......
Be blessed everyone....thanks again.....you are all so sweet.

HONESTLY...... in love, without laying an eye on you yet, B's baby Reese 💙