PDA

View Full Version : Windows 10?

Hulamoon
March 7th, 2016, 07:23 PM
I keep getting pop up's to install. Do you like it? What's the difference? Any problems?

bubba
March 7th, 2016, 08:11 PM
I do not have it. MM was one of the BETA testers for it and he hated it, so I figured if I stayed away from it, he'd be more willing to help me if I have computer issues :)

songbird857
March 7th, 2016, 08:41 PM
I do like that they gave us a start button back (although that may be in the 8 update too...).

grammaterry
March 7th, 2016, 09:19 PM
I have remained with windows 7. I looked at 8 and they said It was sort of like smart phone which I didn't have at th time. Now, I'm into my smart phone so it might be alright. However, I'm old and you know, don't like change.

Judy, USMC
March 7th, 2016, 09:48 PM
My husband got a new computer with 10 already installed. He didn't like the start screen with the huge icons and doesn't have a touch screen either. It gives you the option to go back to the old desktop and pin your preferences ~ so it looks just like the old 7 or 8 desktops.

I use my computer just for email and surfing and occasionally make a spreadsheet. Don't do anything fancy or weird so I can't see any advantage for me to change.

Doloris
March 7th, 2016, 09:49 PM
I stayed with 7 so far too. I heard there were lots of problems. I also heard if it was installed on your computer when you bought it there were fewer problems. It was when people tried to update older computers that the problems started.

K. McEuen
March 7th, 2016, 10:19 PM
If you have Windows 7, don't upgrade. If you have Windows 8, don't upgrade. If you have 8.1, the upgrade is good with that OS from everything I have read.

Hulamoon
March 7th, 2016, 10:31 PM
Okay, I'll stay where I'm at. Thanks!

Carlie Wolf
March 7th, 2016, 11:42 PM
I refuse to put it on my computer. I also found it annoying to see that darn pop up all the time and I couldn't get it off my bottom bar. It just remained there, defiantly staring at me. I cursed it daily. After all this time I finally found a way to get rid of the darn thing. It happened quite by accident when I was looking to do something entirely different. I don't know if I could refind just how to do that again, god knows I tried enough in the past without success. BUT, if you want to get rid of the **** thing let me know and I'll see if I can retrieve it out of my deep deep memory banks within. :-)

Oh.........did I mention that that computer has been loosing steam daily lately. Last week I broke down and bought a new laptop with Win 8.1 on it. It came on Saturday and I've been setting it up. I don't know if now I'll start seeing the stupid Windows 10 box again. God I hope not but in the meantime I keep hearing that old "Jaws" music in the background of my head and I'm terrified it is getting closer and closer!

Sandy Navas
March 7th, 2016, 11:52 PM
I hate the pop-ups that show up everywhere. However, I have Windows 10 and absolutely love it. What can I say? Yes, I am somewhat nerdy . . . but you already knew that.

MaryD
March 8th, 2016, 12:14 AM
I bought a new computer with Windows 10 already on it and I quite like it. I did make sure that I did it while my nerdish daughter was over here in January in case it blew my brain cells. I only use it for emails, reading the news and haunting the Missouri Star and Book Depository web sites.

I was originally on Windows 7.

Hulamoon
March 8th, 2016, 02:11 AM
Can anyone tell me what the big difference is between 8. I was bummed when I had to move on from 95. lol

snippet
March 8th, 2016, 03:50 AM
I had Vista, and when my laptop keyboard broke, I went and bought a new laptop. It came with Windows 10. I was apprehensive, but I love it.

As with any new thing it takes some time to get used to it - so I would say go for it. It's stable and very different from the beta versions.

MayinJerset
March 8th, 2016, 04:35 AM
I'm old too and have been happy with 8 although last month I found my computer updating itself to a newer 8 version that took a bit of time to get comfortable with. Saving photos isn't as easy as it used to be but I'm coping with the process. The free Windows 10 download keeps popping up and someday I fear I'll click on the wrong button and it will download itself. Just don't want to spend my time getting to know another system,

EnumclawGramma
March 8th, 2016, 07:49 AM
My Grandaughter said "stay away from it Gramma, you won't like it". I'm taking her word, because, well, I believe her and I am also old. Don't like change! LOL

Suzette
March 8th, 2016, 09:15 AM
I have 10 and have no issues with it at all. :icon_bigsmile:

evy
March 8th, 2016, 09:21 AM
I resisted all the pop up offers but for some reason, just yesterday when I first turned my computer on it was in the process of downloading 10, so I gave in and installed it. There's a learning curve as with anything new, but I really like it the more I learn it. I had to tweek and get rid of a few things I didn't want and it took forever to figure out the IE but I think I'll be very happy with it.

redcaboose1717
March 8th, 2016, 10:00 AM
Lorie,
I have Window 10 and like it....but I don't think it was an upgrade. I don't seem to have any issues with it. IF you like, I will confirm this with my DH that it wasn't an upgrade.

grannyann
March 8th, 2016, 10:13 AM
I had it and hated it. Lost most of what I had on the computer when I up dated. The free up date cost me because I had to take the computer in to be fixed right after the up date.. Had more problems and don't like the aps. So I backed up my files and went back to factory reset and now I have my windows 7 back.

clwetzel
March 8th, 2016, 11:00 AM
I was an early adopter, and I like it much better than Windows 8. It just seems more intuitive to me.

mommadeb
March 8th, 2016, 11:03 AM
I was told to stay away from W10 too. I keep getting that dang pop-up too and hate it. I have W7 and it works good for me.

songbird857
March 8th, 2016, 11:18 AM
If you already have 8 Lorie, 10 is not much different. Oh, and I have no issues with 10.

JCY
March 8th, 2016, 11:31 AM
I'm still sitting on the fence. From what I've been told, Windows 7 will be supported until 2020, then everyone will be required to go to W10. I've been in contact with our senior center, where they offer computer classes. I'm signed up to take a class, but I'm wait listed. One person told me W10 was like W7 on steroids! lol Another person said they're sticking with W7. W10 is a free download until July, after which one will have to buy it. I heard it takes 3-4 hrs. for the download. If I decide to go with W10, I'll one of the computer people do it for me. Yes, the pop-ups are irritating, but I just click out of them.

EsGrandma
March 8th, 2016, 11:35 AM
I changed to W10 for the same reasons that JCY said and I have had few problems with this and believe me, I am very computer illiterate

Navy Wife
March 8th, 2016, 12:31 PM
My Windows 7 computer has been overheating, so we bought a new one before Christmas. It has 10, and so far I like it. I got a Windows 10 for Dummies book and it has come in handy several times. DH downloaded 10 on his, and he likes it OK, but thinks mine works easier and quicker. He thinks he is a nerd, so when he uses my new one, it gets messed up. I don't mind him helping me with problems, but wish he would leave it alone otherwise! That has been an ongoing problem since we got our first computer. There is a learning curve with 10, but so far it's not too bad. I'm old also...78! Once you get it set up the way you want it, it can work just like 7. The new computer keys are more sensitive than my old one. That's where a lot of my problems come from. Things keep disappearing, but I'm pretty sure that's my fault...at least most of the time.

judimccl
March 8th, 2016, 05:17 PM
I downloaded windows 10 when it first came out, and cannot say I have had any problems. Yes, there is a learning curve, but that is with anything new. I am 73 and definitely not computer literate, but like I said I have had no problems other than the learning curve. :icon_wave:

Hulamoon
March 8th, 2016, 06:20 PM
Well I haven't gotten a pop-up since I asked this.I don't want to pay for it, so I'll decide when it pops up again. lol