PDA

View Full Version : Knitting (?) What is this tool?

tms
February 27th, 2010, 09:24 PM
Hi,

Can anyone tell me what the red tool in this picture is? It's in the bottom row just to the right of center. I recently acquired one with no packaging. I have been unable to find any information on the Internet other than this picture, and when I try to magnify it, the text is too fuzzy to read.

I'll probably have a "duh!" moment when I find out what it is, but any help is appreciated.

Thanks!
Teresa

(I hope the picture displays OK.)

sewhot
February 28th, 2010, 02:09 PM
I don't have any idea. Hrmmm...I bet someone here knows though...I'm right along with you.

ssummerer
March 11th, 2010, 01:22 PM
I don't know either. Could you post a close-up of the tool?

craftyrad
March 11th, 2010, 10:59 PM
Here's my best guess: It looks like most of the products in the picture are Boye, so I googled: Boye knitting. Wright's products makes/sells/whatever Boye products, so I started poking around the Boye catalog:
http://www.wrights.com/wrights/products/catalog/boyeline/boyeline.htm

Here's the closest I found -- a tatting needle:
http://www.wrights.com/wrights/products/catalog/boyeline/7410_lg.htm

Hope this moves you along!

-- Ruth Ann

Edited: After looking at it again, it looks too large for a tatting shuttle -- it's almost as large as knitting needles beside it. Also, it doesn't look to have the Boye logo.

Maybe if you posted a picture of the tool you have, it would be easier to identify.

tms
March 12th, 2010, 01:37 AM
Yes, it is a Boye product (it says 'Boye' on it) but I couldn't find anything in their current product catalog that is similar. I did see the tatting shuttles, but it is not one of those. On first glance it reminded me of a red plastic pie server that I have - about the same size and shape...

I will try to take a a couple of pictures and post them tomorrow.

Thanks much for the replies!

Teresa

tms
March 12th, 2010, 06:17 PM
OK, here are a couple of photos - front, back and side. Notice the two little notches that are diagonally opposite on the main section.

Any ideas??

Thanks!
Teresa

tms
March 12th, 2010, 07:32 PM
One other thing - I didn't think to include a ruler in the photos, but this tool is almost 12 inches long and about 2 1/2 inches wide.

Teresa

craftyrad
March 13th, 2010, 12:50 PM
Wow -- that is a mystery! The little notches make me think it's some sort of a winder/shuttle, but why the offset? And what is the point for?

Did you try emailing help@wrights.com with your pictures and a note about where the thingie is on the product display photo on their website? Maybe there's someone with 'institutional knowledge' who would remember.

Keep us posted!

-- Ruth Ann

tms
March 13th, 2010, 03:33 PM
Good idea - I just sent them an email and will let you know if I hear back!

Teresa

Did you try emailing help@wrights.com with your pictures and a note about where the thingie is on the product display photo on their website? Maybe there's someone with 'institutional knowledge' who would remember.

Keep us posted!

-- Ruth Ann

toggpine
March 16th, 2010, 10:40 PM
OK, I don't knit, but would it be something to slide between the stitches so you can slip a yarn needle through the notches to sew two panels together? It looks like a splicer of some sort.

I guess I'll just have to wait for the e-mail like everybody else!

tms
March 19th, 2010, 12:15 AM
I have not received any response to the email that I sent to Wright/Boye yet. I have also tried to do additional research online but have found nothing else in either text or image searches. For a minute I thought that maybe it was a tassel maker, but I was unable to find anything to support that theory. This is really eating up a lot of time, so, unless someone else here has some thoughts, I am going to put it on the back burner for now. Then, of course, the information will pop out at me when and where I least expect it! :>)

If get a response to my email I will post back here...same if I run across information elsewhere...and I would still appreciate any information that any contributors here have to add. If any of you are members of a knitting forum feel free to ask about it and use my photos. I don't belong to any and didn't want to join just for this (I belong to too many groups already!)

Thanks for your interest!

Teresa

craftyrad
March 29th, 2010, 12:49 AM
FOUND IT! Since the tool is about 2 1/2" wide, I thought it might be something to cut rug yarn for latch hooking, so I googled: "latch hook" tool cut
and found this:
http://www.sewingpatterns4less.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=2501&currency=USD

BINGO!!

-- Ruth Ann

craftyrad
March 29th, 2010, 01:04 AM
Then I googled: boye "yarn cutting tool" and eventually found this which shows how to use it:
http://www.auctiva.com/hostedimages/showimage.aspx?gid=1179272&ppid=1122&image=357235898&images=357235843,357235898,357235945,357235989,357 236026&formats=0,0,0,0,0&format=0

Whew -- don't we feel better now?!?

-- Ruth Ann

oliveoil570
March 29th, 2010, 07:29 AM
Thank you. Glad to know what it is-- I've been knitting for years and never saw anything like it!

Kathy

tms
March 29th, 2010, 05:11 PM
Woo-hoo!! I thought that I was a pretty decent Internet searcher, but Ruth Ann, you are a super sleuth! There's nothing like a good mystery, is there?

I feel like I should send it to you - especially since I am not likely to take up latch hook rug-making any time soon. Interested?

Thanks for going the extra mile on this!

Teresa

craftyrad
March 29th, 2010, 05:40 PM
I'm not into latch-hook either (and don't need yet ANOTHER craft to take up!), but thanks anyway.

I AM into searching, though, and this was just too much fun to pass up. I was about ready to go to bed last night when the rug wool idea came to me and I couldn't go to sleep until I checked it out.

Isn't the internet a wonder?!? Pre-internet days, my librarian friend and I searched for two years for a recipe to replicate some green pepper jam she'd bought. The recipe fell into my lap one night when I opened my mail from a community gardening program. Today we would have been able to find a recipe in maybe 5 minutes!!

-- Ruth Ann

Barbara W
July 28th, 2010, 06:56 PM
Hi,

Can anyone tell me what the red tool in this picture is? It's in the bottom row just to the right of center. I recently acquired one with no packaging. I have been unable to find any information on the Internet other than this picture, and when I try to magnify it, the text is too fuzzy to read.

I'll probably have a "duh!" moment when I find out what it is, but any help is appreciated.

Thanks!
Teresa

(I hope the picture displays OK.)

I just joined the group recently. I was poking around and found this thread. Did you ever find out what the tool was and it's use? Curiosity has gotten the better of me. :icon_neutral:
Barbara W.

tms
July 28th, 2010, 10:51 PM
I just joined the group recently. I was poking around and found this thread. Did you ever find out what the tool was and it's use? Curiosity has gotten the better of me. :icon_neutral:
Barbara W.

Hi Barbara,

If you look at the last couple of posts before yours you will see that Ruth Ann brilliantly discovered that it is a tool to cut yarn for latch hooking. The links she posted are very helpful for seeing it's packaging and how it's used (and it wasn't for knitting at all :). You may need to click something to view the entire thread rather than just the first page of posts.

Teresa

quiltnut
September 7th, 2010, 01:57 PM
Looks like a modern version of a button hook to me,for closing the coverall silver jeans buttons.Other than that ive never seen this tool before lol.
Tatting needle is a long lost art these days eh?

GrammaBabs
September 7th, 2010, 05:03 PM
ok.. now i have got to see what it is..

i worked in a yarn shop for years... this is new to me.... but i hope we all find out...

i'm thinking in the "bobbin dept.".. for winding and carring little amounts of yarn in intarsia, but it's way too big.... gonna "google" a bit as well...:icon_heh:bj

sorry, didn't read thru.....but does it have a blade? or do you cut "wound pieces".....
we used to sell a rug yarn cutter with a crank handle,,, but it held a razor blade... just curious..

tms
September 8th, 2010, 03:18 PM
ok.. now i have got to see what it is..

i worked in a yarn shop for years... this is new to me.... but i hope we all find out...

i'm thinking in the "bobbin dept.".. for winding and carring little amounts of yarn in intarsia, but it's way too big.... gonna "google" a bit as well...:icon_heh:bj

sorry, didn't read thru.....but does it have a blade? or do you cut "wound pieces".....
we used to sell a rug yarn cutter with a crank handle,,, but it held a razor blade... just curious..

No blade. After you wind the yarn around it you cut by inserting your scissors in the open groove in the middle. For 2 1/2" pieces you cut through both layers of yarn. For 5" pieces you cut through one layer. I suppose you could slice them with a razor blade or box cutter or something like that, though.

Teresa