PDA

View Full Version : Anyone lend through Kiva?

snippet
March 7th, 2016, 07:12 AM
I've been lending through Kiva for a few years now. It's a site where you can support people all over the world through microloans. As the money is repaid, I can then loan it to someone else. I really like the site and it gets a good rating from the Charity Navigator site too.

I was thinking.... I wonder if anyone here on the forum donates as well. And wouldn't it be awesome if we could team up and lend to someone who also sews?

My church supports a group in Malawi (not through Kiva though) and recently we were able to buy 2 sewing machines for them. They are treadle machines and the ladies were so excited about it. They have made some quilts, but they also made school uniforms for about 12 girls in the villages. I was so excited to see how talented they are and how they are really using the machines for the rest of the community's good. Another group of ladies were also taught how to make ovens and bake bread and biscuits to sell.

dwil23
March 7th, 2016, 07:53 AM
I have never heard of Kiva - will check them out. I would be interested for "teaming up" as you suggested for someone/organization that is in need.

HandsomeRyan
March 7th, 2016, 09:34 AM
I was doing that a few years ago but between defaulted loans and some reports of shady business practices made me get away from it.

Shirley
March 7th, 2016, 11:38 AM
I also give loans in Kiva. I try to help someone different each time.

grammaterry
March 7th, 2016, 01:28 PM
I heard about this on talk radio. They said to be cautious. I can see how it could be good and also fraudulent. I like the churches donation of the sewing machines for the ladies. I wish charities that helped people in the US were so practical . Seems like some of the state supported people here could use some life skills to become productive.