PDA

View Full Version : Shingles and other stories... (including pics from a huuuge fabric store...) LONG - ENTER IF YOU DARE.

songbird857
March 6th, 2016, 09:34 PM
Let's see how much I can reasonably fit into one post, since I've only been lurking this past week...

Y'all probably remember over a week ago when I said that I had done something to my neck/shoulder area... well, it turns out that it was a 'pre-symptom' of the Shingles that decided to pay me a visit. I'm grateful, however, that since I thought I burned myself with my heating pack, I actually got to the doctor right as they were becoming full blown, so antiviral meds were prescribed, and helped tremendously. Turns out that the heating pack increased the blood flow, and drew out the virus on one part of my shoulder before it hit the rest of my neck. Still tired and a bit achy, but getting better. I now have a large amount of empathy for those who have ever experienced nerve pain :icon_cry:

How much can happen in one week?? Last Monday, my finch died - not a surprise, she lived a good long life for a finch. It seems like she just went into her little hut and went to sleep. She was a good little bird.
Tuesday - doc tells me I have Shingles... fun... not.
Thursday - my FIL's sister passed away in Portugal. How do you tell a man with Dementia that his only sister has died?? We haven't told him.

Ok... enough sadness and sickness!!! On to the fun stuff...
Today, I was feeling more normal that I have been for two weeks - I had been tryyyying to get to a Textile store near me, but with all of life coming at me at once, it didn't happen. I made it over there today and thought I'd share a few photos so you can see just how large this place is. I hadn't been there in years - forgot how big it is.
I went there for cotton piping cord, since J* didn't have any in the size I wanted. Well. It is only .15 - YES FIFTEEN CENTS per yard. I bought 20 yards (compare that to about .65/yd at J*) I also picked up some leather looking vinyl for bag making. Spent a whopping $14 for the piping, 1/2 yd of one vinyl, and 2/3 yd of another vinyl (60" width).
I'm not a firm believer in shop therapy, but this sure was a pick me up ;)
So - feast your eyes on this place - I didn't even take pics of it all for fear of looking like a thief or stalker...
12726912727012727112727212727312727412727512727612 7277127278

Jean Sewing Machine
March 6th, 2016, 09:42 PM
OMG, that is an amazing place!

songbird857
March 6th, 2016, 09:44 PM
OMG, that is an amazing place!
Jean, I was thinking of you - YOU would be like a kid in a candy store in there ;)
That's where I used to get 4 way stretch for my daughters' figure skating costumes.

Jean Sewing Machine
March 6th, 2016, 09:46 PM
Jean, I was thinking of you - YOU would be like a kid in a candy store in there ;)
A friend and I went to a similar place in Chicago, it was a block long and 3 stories. The basement was creepy, because the wooden floor above kept creaking when anyone walked by, I kept thinking if the floor caved in, I'd be buried alive by bolts of fabric, but what a way to go!

K. McEuen
March 6th, 2016, 09:51 PM
There is a place in Dallas that looks a lot like that. I went with my sister and wandered around for a couple hours and still didn't see it all.

Kgrammiecaz
March 6th, 2016, 09:51 PM
I must drop in to say i hope you are doing much better from shingles. I had a severe case in 2010 and I still suffer the after effects. Anyway I am so happy to hear they caught them quickly and you are on the mend. It is not a sickness I would wish on anyone.

Fun shopping too. Cool place.

mario1360
March 6th, 2016, 10:01 PM
I am having a full blown attack right now, both on stomach and on back...never experienced so much pain....why me?????
here in Montreal we have a whole city block of different fabric stores. Hours and hours of pleasant sneaking around....

mischiefkat
March 6th, 2016, 10:04 PM
Sorry for bout of shingles. Nasty little virus. You are so lucky to have that store near you. Looks like it has about anything you could want to sew with. Hope the shingles resolves soon. kathy

songbird857
March 6th, 2016, 10:10 PM
I am having a full blown attack right now, both on stomach and on back...never experienced so much pain....why me?????
here in Montreal we have a whole city block of different fabric stores. Hours and hours of pleasant sneaking around....

Oh, I do pray you are feeling better soon - I feel your pain - literally ;)

KPH
March 6th, 2016, 11:20 PM
Hate to hear about anyone with the shingles. Glad you're on the mends.

Your fabric store reminds me of Haw River Mills Store that was in my home town. They tore it down and built women's hospital. I've been thinking about that shop off and on, wishing I could go back and shop there again.

Simply Quilting
March 6th, 2016, 11:32 PM
Sorry to hear about your shingles. I am glad that you were able to get to the dr in time to get some meds. Also sorry to hear about your fil's sister and your finch.

Thanks for the pictures to drool over of the shop.

grammaterry
March 7th, 2016, 12:16 AM
Bless you and yours Songbird. So much to deal with. The death of your finch had to be so sad. I have a 30 yr old McCaw and know that 50 yrs from now (lol) I will be devastated. (She will outlive me) Anyway, hope you are on the mend and that you find a way to console your FIL.
Now, about that store...Oh how jealous I am. I am 60 miles from any fabric except on my computer and then it is only a Hancock.

Hulamoon
March 7th, 2016, 12:55 AM
Sorry about your birdie. My grandmother raised parakeets. Cute little things. Wowser on the shop! My shops let me take pictures. When I was doing my Hawaiian dresses customers would ask for certain colors and I would go in and take pictures for the. I'll never go down that road again. lol

Glad you caught it in time. Hope that nasty thing stays away.

Angelia
March 7th, 2016, 01:03 AM
My son had shingles at eight years old--awful! He is now thirty-three and had a minor flare-up. Such a strange and unpredictable virus. My thoughts are with you.

redcaboose1717
March 7th, 2016, 01:05 AM
Sorry to hear about your bout with Shingles....
WOW...thanks so much for sharing the photos with us ! I would love to have a place to shop like this. Absolutely awesome !

bubba
March 7th, 2016, 01:53 AM
That is a fabulous looking store!!! I hope you are feeling better fast!

I get my piping at an upholstery shop. I think it is a dime a yard!

stationarymom
March 7th, 2016, 02:29 AM

I am sorry you are in pain right now I just hope it goes away as the rash clears up.

stationarymom
March 7th, 2016, 02:31 AM
Songbird I'm sorry you had such a bad week.I hope this week will be much better for you.Where is the store you showed the pics of and what is the name of it?

TMP
March 7th, 2016, 02:58 AM
Bless your heart SongBird I hope you get well soon I have never had shingles (knock on wood) but my mom did and it was painful for her. I am glad you went to the doctor and I hope next week is a better week. I wish we had a store like that here.

Blondie
March 7th, 2016, 08:15 AM
I started hyperventilating just reading your post, then when with the pictures I needed that brown paper bag to bow into. WOWEE-WOW

So sorry about the shingles and the rest of the life's junk that you bounced back from. Big hugs to you my little songbird.

MayinJerset
March 7th, 2016, 09:50 AM
Ohh, You have had a bad week, hope you have a much better one this week and relief from the pain.

Monique
March 7th, 2016, 10:01 AM

Where is this?

Monique
March 7th, 2016, 10:07 AM
Sorry to hear but glad you are on the mend.

Grandma Nan
March 7th, 2016, 10:14 AM
Where is this?

I was wondering that too Monique. This could become one of our road trips. Meet you at the 401. I'll be the one with scissors in my hand!!!

Grandma Nan
March 7th, 2016, 10:16 AM
Sure hope your week this week will improve. You certainly don't need anything more to contend with.

auntiemern
March 7th, 2016, 01:50 PM
So sorry to hear you have had such a hard time of it the past couple of weeks. I know several people that have had shingle, thank God I never have. Prayers for a speedy recovery.
I too, thought of Jean when I say the pics. That would certainly be her kind of place. Pic #9 and the remnant bin are the ones that caught my attention the most. Would love to have a place like that to visit.

songbird857
March 7th, 2016, 01:52 PM
So sorry to hear you have had such a hard time of it the past couple of weeks. I know several people that have had shingle, thank God I never have. Prayers for a speedy recovery.
I too, thought of Jean when I say the pics. That would certainly be her kind of place. Pic #9 and the remnant bin are the ones that caught my attention the most. Would love to have a place like that to visit.
Marilyn - pic # 9 - the quilting cottons - that was only one side ;) they run down the entire length of the other side of those shelves...

Jean Marie
March 7th, 2016, 04:02 PM
Must be the season! I also have been diagnosed with shingles this past Thursday. Didn't know you could get it in your ears and neither did the Dr until she looked it up! She could tell it was shingles by looking at it and also at my upper back but she looked it up to confirm. Painful and miserable! Going to be having knee surgery soon but started having severe pain below my knee when I step on my right.....had a MRI Wed and was told today that I have to make an appointment to see the Dr to get results! Isn't that a bunch of bull!? More money for the Dr! I would hope that nothing is seriously wrong or they would have called! I'm not even sure the MRI turned out as after being flat on my back for awhile, my legs started jumping up and the tech yelled at me twice to quit moving! And I told her twice that I had no control over it! Whew! Well I am also done venting! Hope everyone gets well soon and I also feel your pain...lol

songbird857
March 7th, 2016, 04:04 PM
Must be the season! I also have been diagnosed with shingles this past Thursday. Didn't know you could get it in your ears and neither did the Dr until she looked it up! She could tell it was shingles by looking at it and also at my upper back but she looked it up to confirm. Painful and miserable! Going to be having knee surgery soon but started having severe pain below my knee when I step on my right.....had a MRI Wed and was told today that I have to make an appointment to see the Dr to get results! Isn't that a bunch of bull!? More money for the Dr! I would hope that nothing is seriously wrong or they would have called! I'm not even sure the MRI turned out as after being flat on my back for awhile, my legs started jumping up and the tech yelled at me twice to quit moving! And I told her twice that I had no control over it! Whew! Well I am also done venting! Hope everyone gets well soon and I also feel your pain...lol

Hope you're feeling better soon too!!!

judimccl
March 7th, 2016, 06:26 PM
Hope all who are suffering with any illness, especially shingles, starts feeling better REALLY soon.

alliek
March 7th, 2016, 10:06 PM
First so sorry for all who are suffering from shingles. If you are the right age (over 65) and have never had shingles, please make sure you are vaccinated against this. If you have had shingles, you can't be vaccinated.
That textile place looked absolutely great. There is a place in Providence Rhode Island, called Lorraines Fabrics. similar in it's scope. they used to let you take a sample of fabrics (usually drapery or upholstery) but not any more. Guess people got greedy. I'm starting to recover from a really bad cold which could have been a flu virus for all I know. Still tired and not myself. SPRING is Coming. I keep looking forward as the weather warms. Healing prayers for all. God Bless you My friends.:icon_wave:

Carolnnc
March 7th, 2016, 10:24 PM
From the CDC website: Even if you have had shingles, you can still receive shingles vaccine to help prevent future occurrences of the disease. There is no specific length of time you must wait after having shingles before receiving shingles vaccine, but generally you should make sure the shingles rash has disappeared before getting vaccinated. Protection from shingles vaccine lasts about 5 years, so adults vaccinated before they are 60 years old might not be protected later in life when the risk for shingles and its complications are greatest.
Hope you feel better soon!

mario1360
March 7th, 2016, 11:05 PM
Hello Grandma Nan, it is in Montreal, St-Hubert Plaza, north of Jean-Talon street.
This is the first shop near Beaubien, walk north from there and you will find several other stores.
Fabric Find: Effiloché in Montreal | Tracing Threads (http://tracingthreads.com/effiloche-montreal/)

songbird857
March 7th, 2016, 11:14 PM
That textile place looked absolutely great. There is a place in Providence Rhode Island, called Lorraines Fabrics. similar in it's scope. they used to let you take a sample of fabrics (usually drapery or upholstery) but not any more. Guess people got greedy.
Hmmm... just looked at pics of Lorraine's - just might need to take a road trip to Providence! (only about an hour and a half from me ;))

Grandma G
March 8th, 2016, 12:43 AM
Hmmm... just looked at pics of Lorraine's - just might need to take a road trip to Providence! (only about an hour and a half from me ;))

I'm glad you are on the mend. I got the Shingles shot last year. Heard of too many people suffering from them. Also, I need to check out this Lorraines Fabrics. If I get to make the trip to Rhode Island again this year I may have to add to my to-do list.

tamsterg7
March 8th, 2016, 01:15 AM
Holy moly -I think MA just got bumped up on my list of states to visit -Ahhhhmazing!

Kgrammiecaz
March 8th, 2016, 01:29 AM
I dont know if it is tha same everywhere, but here in Florida you cannot get the shingles vaccine until you turn 60. And as mentioned you can get it even if you had shingles, in fact my doctor highly recommended I get the vaccine. I got shingles when I was 56. So had to wait unti I was 60. I fear everytime I get a pain similar to what I had because it can reoccur. My dad is in his 80s and his reoccurs a couple times a year.

I say all this for one reason, please if you are 60 or over, go get the vaccine. It is a horrible pain. For those on here with shingles, my heart and prayers go out to you. I prayer you will heal quickly and be rid of it forever.

Andrea F
March 8th, 2016, 04:15 AM
Norma, I'm sorry you had such a bad week. Sending hugs and good thoughts. My MIL is suffering from shingles for several months and her doctor told her it could take a year until she really feels better. I'm glad your medication seems to work quickly.

That fabric place looks amazing, I've never seen such a big place before which is probably a good thing ;)

songbird857
March 8th, 2016, 08:59 AM
For those on here with shingles, my heart and prayers go out to you. I prayer you will heal quickly and be rid of it forever.
Amen, Sistah!!

RockinLou
March 8th, 2016, 01:35 PM
What a week! I'm sorry for your pain.

It sounds like your little finch was good to you, and didn't suffer. As for your FIL, there isn't much that can be done regarding his sister, it's so hard to deal with all that stress.

My sister lives in Windsor, CT, which is not too far from you, so I would love to know more about this store for when I visit her this summer.

songbird857
March 8th, 2016, 02:48 PM
What a week! I'm sorry for your pain.

It sounds like your little finch was good to you, and didn't suffer. As for your FIL, there isn't much that can be done regarding his sister, it's so hard to deal with all that stress.

My sister lives in Windsor, CT, which is not too far from you, so I would love to know more about this store for when I visit her this summer.

Windsor is very close to me :) Tell your sister to come right up route 5 to get to Osgood's - less than a half hour from Windsor.
Osgood Textile (http://www.osgoodtextile.com/)

SewMuchToDo
March 8th, 2016, 09:38 PM
Hope you are feeling better really soon! Sorry to hear about your finch and family member passing.

What a fun store!!

SallyO'Sews
March 8th, 2016, 11:12 PM
OMG, Rockin' Lou - I live in Bloomfield, which is next door to Windsor! And I seriously need to get to Osgood's.

When you get to Windsor, please let me know - we should all get together!

songbird857
March 9th, 2016, 10:51 AM
OMG, Rockin' Lou - I live in Bloomfield, which is next door to Windsor! And I seriously need to get to Osgood's.

When you get to Windsor, please let me know - we should all get together!
Sally, let me know if you're going soon - I'll meet up with you :)