PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else have one of these in their laundry???...

Nidan_07
March 3rd, 2016, 10:08 PM
I have battled with this little 'Sock Monster' for years!! I can not beat him. He gets me every single time I am sorting washed clothes... aarrgghh!! I can not tell you how many times I have had a single sock hanging around all lonely, longing for it's mate to join it. They can sit there for ages, then I just give up and throw them out. He's just gotten me again this morning. Perhaps I should stop doing the wash in protest. Let everyone else in the household take over. Hubs is pretty good at it.

Judy, USMC
March 3rd, 2016, 10:29 PM
I don't have a sock monster as such - but I have a Bermuda Triangle. (That's an area in the Atlantic Ocean where things get lost.)

Mine is a little bit different. My socks don't get permanently lost ... they just disappear for a while and then reappear a few loads later. Every few months I go through my "Lone Sock Box" of singles that have come out of the dryer and actually wind up with 5 or 6 matching pairs. Really don't understand how it happens because I nearly fall in after every washer and dryer load to make sure nothing is left behind!

So Lenore - different names for it - different hemispheres - but the SAME problem. I like your solution!

cv quilter
March 3rd, 2016, 10:39 PM
I just went through this yesterday!!! Two socks, one mine and one my hubby's. Both "stray" socks had been in our drawers for some time. Yesterday, the mates showed up in the same load of laundry. It makes me crazy:icon_crazy: I swear someone else lives in this house and I can't find him/her .......or IT!!!

Simply Quilting
March 3rd, 2016, 10:55 PM
The good news is right now it is very popular to wear mismatched socks and the wilder, bolder and brighter the better.

I try to avoid not having pair by keeping it simple - each person has 10 pairs of socks that are identical. Easier to match. My biggest frustration is socks are so cheaply made now (but not cheap to buy) that it seems like someone is constantly needing new socks in the house.

Marta
March 3rd, 2016, 11:03 PM
I made a draw bag for my socks and keep them separate from other laundry . Do a load of just socks. My monster moved to one of your houses.

TMP
March 3rd, 2016, 11:04 PM
My solution for mix matched socks is that I buy all the same brand and same color of dress socks for my husband, and the same for his tube socks. This works great when he is half awake in the morning. He will grab socks and they will be the same. Yep we are boring sock people.

Nidan_07
March 3rd, 2016, 11:12 PM
I wish I could have all the same socks in the house. DS has brown school socks and white socks, DD has white school socks and yellow school sports socks, DH wears brown and black socks to work and white sports socks on weekends. I wear 2 pair of white ankle socks every day when I go to the gym. Sure makes life interesting.

Hulamoon
March 3rd, 2016, 11:19 PM
My monster moved when my dd's moved. Imagine that!

Sandy Navas
March 3rd, 2016, 11:54 PM

Just don't wear socks.

Judy, USMC
March 4th, 2016, 12:01 AM
Those are some UGLY/UGLY feet !

SallyO'Sews
March 4th, 2016, 01:08 AM
When our kids were living at home, I bought only white socks for my sons (six of them). I put a laundry basket at the end of the hall, and that's where ALL the clean socks went. No more matching socks! Except for my DH, who is happy to wear only one style & color of dress socks.

Live to Quilt
March 4th, 2016, 01:26 AM
I have to tell you, I was so tired of this monster with my 4 guys......i got pins for them to pin them together, Walali no more lost socks, no more matching. If not pinned not washed, simple as that..
Sandy yo are truely a sprit lifting wonder thank you

JeanAnne

ilive2craft2
March 4th, 2016, 01:35 AM
My dh does all of the laundry and has done it for several years. He always has a laundry basket of socks waiting for their mate to be found. I usually grab it at some point and go through it, matching up pairs that have magically appeared. At one point, he was going through it and I said if it has been the same ones for a long time, you can just toss them or cut them so that they go in the rag bin. The relief on his face was priceless! I guess he didn't realize that he could make that kind of decision? I used to do it all of the time when I did the laundry.....

redcaboose1717
March 4th, 2016, 01:41 AM
I used to have the Sock Monster at our house....he ( or she?....my DD asked when she was about 8 yrs old how I knew if the "sock monster was a boy or girl ....Kids ! ) ate a lot of socks in our house until I decided to get a couple of mesh laundry bags ( actually I purchased 3 ....two for the kids socks and one for the Hubs & I ( Hubs BTW did all the laundry for years ! ) .....that stopped the saga of the "disappearing sock".....

MayinJerset
March 4th, 2016, 02:47 AM
Since DH has been doing the laundry there have been many orphaned socks as he doesn't sort clothes and socks hide inside of clothes until we put them on. The mesh laundry basket helps to keep the guys together, I say guys because I hardly ever where socks.

redcaboose1717
March 4th, 2016, 03:32 AM
Lorie,
So, what's you're sayin' is that maybe I should just try washing the socks without the mesh bag treatment ?
I still put the socks in a mesh bag, even though there's just hubby J.R. & me at home now !
LOL!!! ( just kidding )

LauraP
March 4th, 2016, 04:21 AM
You would be surprised the places my dh finds socks and skimpy underwear when he repairs washers and dryers. He doesn't know how they can get in all those weird places either. I think it is the little guy of Harry Potter saving up socks for when he finally gets free.

snippet
March 4th, 2016, 12:10 PM
LOL, when my kids and I were reading Harry Potter we named the sock monster Dobby! I was sure Dobby would disappear once my kids moved out but noooo, Dobby still troubles me. And I live alone!

grammaterry
March 4th, 2016, 12:23 PM
They are hiding in the clothes you wear. Inside a pant leg or the back of a shirt. You wear them and put them back in the laundry. That's where they've been. Sometimes they become permanently lost when you leave them somewhere on a journey. But you didn't even know they went with you. Ha ha. DH and I discovered this and now, when we do the laundry and a sock is missing, we relentlessly go thru the rest of the laundry that we just folded and find the missing sock. We keep telling them they cannot go on trips by themselves.
Another hint...years ago, I accidently discovered FOX RIVER socks. I have feet like those in the above picture and they are very sensitive. I cannot stand the little knot in the toe area. My children laugh at my foot fetish. Anyway, they were really expensive to me ($12) but a new merchant had opened a store in our county and I wanted to give him some support. The socks were the only thing he had in the store that I could use (it was a trail hiking store) so I bought them. I wore them and went back the next day and bought two more pair. My feet felt great. My wallet hurt. That was 14 yrs ago and I still own those socks. They seem to last nearly forever. I own 5 pair and wear a pair every day, so I guess the cost isn't as bad as you might think.

auntiemern
March 5th, 2016, 02:55 AM
We always have lost socks. DH does all the laundry now (won't let me go down the stairs) I try to buy the same ones all the time, but it doesn't always happen.
The mis matched trend...I love my warm fuzzy socks. Not only do they keep my tootsies warm, they also add more cushion to my always painful feet. Any way when DD got back this evening from his latest fishing trip, he was laughing at me for wearing 2 different fuzzy socks. Hey, I couldn't find the match to either one, and I wasn't going anywhere.
However if you have a front loader, the notoriously get sucked down between the rubber gasket in the front and the drum. Just saw a video on this the other day.

snippet
March 5th, 2016, 05:27 AM
A long time ago I got into the habit of tossing out all the kids socks and undies every year and buying new. They grow into new sizes anyways when they were young, so it made sense. Then I knew all the socks matched and my son, who doesn't care whether his socks matched or not, always had matching socks. I still do it every year and even my kids do it even thought they've moved out.

irishrn
March 5th, 2016, 10:58 AM
Over the years if learned to match all the socks before I wash them. If I find a single one then I look for the mate. If I can't find it I save it off to the side till the mate is located. When the wash is done and going into the dryer, I put all the socks aside and only throw pairs into the dryer. This way I should have all matches when the dryer is done. But not always!!
When I have left over white tube socks from DH I put silica packs into them tie a knot and pitch them into the car. It keeps the car from getting windshield fog all year round!