PDA

View Full Version : A saying that helps me when I'm not perfect (which is ALL the time!)

Gayle8675309
November 21st, 2011, 10:08 PM
Anything worth doing is worth doing poorly.

In other words...keep on doing it! I think of this saying all the time when I'm beating myself up over my mismatched seams or other quilting boo-boos. Quilting is worth doing...so it's worth doing poorly! Granted I TRY to do it well, but even if I can't always accomplish this, then doing it not so well (poorly) it is! :)

quilter.martha
November 21st, 2011, 10:10 PM
Keep on trying--that's how you learn. EVERY project is an opportunity to learn something new. Even us old quilting dogs can learn new tricks!

luci4
November 21st, 2011, 11:28 PM
You may be seeing more than any one else looking may see.

Mrs.Sew&Sew
November 21st, 2011, 11:42 PM
Wow someone must have been looking at my FMQ from this weekend.

toggpine
November 22nd, 2011, 02:47 AM
I like my daughter's line. "I'll do my very best." This is usually stated with all the seriousness & gravity a Kindergardener can deliver.
While her 'very best' may be far from perfect, it is the absolute best that she can manage at that time on that day. I think that is all any of us can ask of ourselves or others.

janluna
November 22nd, 2011, 05:42 AM
Gayle, my daughter in law, Heatherlea, says oh mom this is good, keep practiceing and I'll check it out again for you to make sure it's ok. So practice, practice, practice! LOL Hugs, Jan L.

rebeccas-sewing
November 22nd, 2011, 05:55 AM
How cute it that?!? "I'll do my very best" coming from a 5-year-old. How do you keep from smothering her in kisses?
I like my daughter's line. "I'll do my very best." This is usually stated with all the seriousness & gravity a Kindergardener can deliver.
While her 'very best' may be far from perfect, it is the absolute best that she can manage at that time on that day. I think that is all any of us can ask of ourselves or others.

Nena
November 24th, 2011, 01:46 AM
I like that saying "I will do my very best". I will use that as my new mantra when I am starting a new pattern:icon_bigsmile:

toggpine
November 24th, 2011, 02:49 AM
Rebecca, she usually gets her share of smooches on a daily basis! I like her phrase because it doesn't ask us to be perfect, just give our best effort. Looking at some of these talented quilters, I should put my stuff down and walk away. I may never achieve their proficiency, but if I don't give it my best effort, I'll certainly never get any better.
Go make it your best day ever!

Jleko
December 2nd, 2011, 03:44 PM
I think that is how I learn. I make a mistake (more than once) and learn the correct way by taking the seams out, or re-sewing! I sure do a lot of "learning"!

quiltingtrish
December 2nd, 2011, 11:24 PM
I like that one Gayle and here is another one -

If you can't see your mistake from a galloping horse, it doesn't exist.

Hugs,

Monique
December 3rd, 2011, 09:58 AM
I always try my best and if that isn't good enough for some, WELL TOO BAD!!

Trish, I love your saying.