PDA

View Full Version : Whooo, Who is up....

MayinJerset
March 1st, 2016, 03:56 AM
or who hasn't gone to bed yet? I've been to bed, slept, a pain woke me up and now I am awake yawning and sneezing and beginning March as a Night Owl.

Going to check out the area and probably will be back later...126897

toggpine
March 1st, 2016, 04:24 AM
I'm still up, but it is only 11 PM here. I'll be headed to bed in a few minutes, after the weather report on the news.
We are still working through the Alien and Ghost issues with the 10 year old at bed time. She says she can distract herself during the day, but at night without anything else to think about the thoughts just pop back in. We are working on how she can do some self-talk to work herself back down to a calm state.
I think I missed this chapter in the Kid Handbook.

I managed to figure out part of the insurance deal today and settle the medical billing too. Yea.
Now to get the rest of the items wrapped up to put in the mail tomorrow. Some of these parcels are very overdue for shipping!

laura44
March 1st, 2016, 05:31 AM
I'm up, 12:30 here. I just can't go to bed earlier. Then I can't
get up in the morning. Go figure. Happy March 1st!

redcaboose1717
March 1st, 2016, 05:37 AM
I am up too...it's 3:30 am here in Michigan. I slept Sunday completely away.......I was so tired ! So, I am up, looking at things ( quilts and things that interest me. ) I am hungry, but can't seem to find anything I want to eat in the house. I think I am going to make some garlic toast...I know that probably sounds weird...but it's what I want ! :-0)

redcaboose1717
March 1st, 2016, 05:48 AM
I think kids have different issues at times. My kids were never worried about ghosts, although my 3rd child ( a son ) was a little worried about aliens.
My mom used to let us sleep with a radio on ( soft music ) and later on in life we slept with TV's on. My dad (an inventor before his time ) made these 2 hour timers to plug our TV's in.....when the 2 hours were up, it shut the TV off( Daddy made these in the late 60's ). Most of the time we as children slept so hard, we didn't realize the TV was off....but it sure helped having that TV on to drift off to sleep with. Find a kid friendly channel and try this, OR select a video that your child likes ( and you approve of ) .....we made videos of shows ( Sesame St. certain cartoons etc. ) for our kids when they were younger.
I have Comcast Cable and recently noticed they have music that is for children or babies ...these are on the higher ( I think it's 495 etc...of course the channel numbers are different in all areas ) channels. Check that out, it might help your child too

I managed to figure out part of the insurance deal today and settle the medical billing too. Yea.
Now to get the rest of the items wrapped up to put in the mail tomorrow. Some of these parcels are very overdue for shipping![/QUOTE]

kimsophia
March 1st, 2016, 06:43 AM
I'm up as my morning started at 8 p.m. I am trying to learn some hardanger embroidery. Ay yi yi, do you need to see skinny threads and count them exactly right, or these hearts don't line up. I am trying to make the second photo with tan fabric: The Victoria Sampler - Free Patterns (http://www.victoriasampler.com/Free_Patterns/WinterBiscornus.aspx)
I don't have the recommended thread but seem to be getting nice results using all 6 strands of ecru embroidery floss. I am learning a lot of embroidery info lately. I didn't know there even was DMC linen floss. All I knew was the cotton kind.
I'm not sure if I am going to do cutwork as that looks pretty serious for a beginner, but they do have an eyelet lace stitched kind that does not need cutting.

Toggpine, one thing I heard of it to help kids who are afraid to go to sleep. During the day have them think up happy memories of fun times they have had and write those ideas on slips of paper and put them in a "dream jar" by their bed so they can pick one and then focus on that memory when falling asleep. I think that would have helped me. Vampires were my bane. I watched "Dark Shadows" at a too early age!

Granny Judy
March 1st, 2016, 08:15 AM
I'm awake too darn early today.. Just couldn't sleep any longer. I hate it when my eyes fly open this early. Means I will have to take a nap or be grouchy all afternoon.

We are expecting a snow storm, so maybe a nap is very appropriate... almost like doing the hibernation thing.

I hope the nightmare/bad dreams gets resolved soon for you. I always had a night light on for my kids when they were younger and going thru that stage.. along with soft music. Great idea about the dream jar.

MayinJerset
March 1st, 2016, 08:22 AM
Sugar, Your dad really was very inventive. Having the TV on real low works for us older folks too, it keeps the bogie man or scary thoughts away. Doesn't matter what the program is just as long as the sound is low and I'm asleep before I know it.

Cathy hope your new approach is successful and you and your DD get a good night's sleep.

RockinLou
March 1st, 2016, 11:55 AM
I'm up, 12:30 here. I just can't go to bed earlier. Then I can't
get up in the morning. Go figure. Happy March 1st!

story of my life!!

toggpine
March 1st, 2016, 03:18 PM
We have a strand of white LED Christmas lights she uses as a night light. We found that the string spread out the light to eliminate weird shadows so we never had "creepers in the corners" types of problems.
We have a CD player in her room and play instrumental, jazz, or some other low key relaxing music. It usually runs for an hour or so, and that is enough time for her to fall asleep. No TV in the bedroom, as she would stay up FOREVER watching. The kiddo is a Night Owl.

This anxiety/internalizing thing has shown up in the last few months. With her hearing problems, she tends to miss parts of conversations. Then she reruns them trying to figure out what she missed. Not to much of a problem until you start adding in pre-teen hormones. First we had the "Everyone thinks I'm mean" issue. "Everyone" turned out to be one girl who didn't like being told she wasn't following the rules. It was an off-hand comment for most people, but Em churned it around in her head until it was a huge deal.

This thing with the ghosts and aliens is based in conversations she is having at school. The kids have access to Chrome books for some of their class work. I am not sure (but will be checking) how much latitude they have for looking up other things on the Internet. This seems to be where the topic of ghosts came up. Then they got into the debate about if they are real. I am pretty sure the ghosts are of the poltergeist and horror-flick kind that they were looking at. Those are the kind of aliens they were looking at too.

We have talked about how things on the Internet and TV are mostly made for entertainment, or science fiction. We discussed how science fiction has some truth (science) and a big dose of made up (fiction). She seems to be doing better with talking through this before she goes to bed. She can bring up anything she has thought about or has more questions on during the day.
Yesterday, it was that the boys had looked up on the Internet and the aliens were supposed to arrive in 2031. She didn't actually see what they were looking at that prompted the conversation. We talked about how it might have been an advertisement for a movie, since the aliens probably aren't going send a card with an arrival date, like a tea party. We had a nice laugh about aliens at a tea party!

I hope this is good practice for learning how to deal with bigger stuff as she gets older. If she can learn to trust her own council and has a mental plan to deal with things that might come up, she will be better off. I guess a couple of lost nights of sleep are worth the trust she has to talk to us about anything that is bothering her. I am just hoping that I am doing the right thing. Parenting is not easy, and I don't want to be responsible for years of psychotherapy down the road!