PDA

View Full Version : Questin for those that have been to Lancaster PA

tamsterg7
February 27th, 2016, 11:07 PM
My DH and I are going to take a driving trip in July to Niagara Falls, then Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown (his choice), then head back via Lancaster PA area. We are staying a few days in the Lancaster area (my choice). So for those that live there or have visited - which quilt/fabric shops are a 'must get there', and any other tips?

This is our first trip without our kids ------should be interesting

JCY
February 27th, 2016, 11:12 PM
I have been to Lancaster, but I was not into quilting at the time I was there. I sure some beautiful quilts, though! However, by all means take in a show at the Millennium Sight & Sound Theater in Paradise. They do presentations of Bible stories & characters using live animals & awesome visual & sound effects. I was there in 2003; my sis & I saw the story of Daniel. It was spectacular. Well worth the money. That area recently was hit by a tornado. Houses & barns were damaged.

quiltingtrish
February 28th, 2016, 01:04 AM
Tamsterg7 - I will PM you about fabric places and other places to try not to miss while you are there. It is late tonight though so I will get back to you in a few days.

MayinJerset
February 28th, 2016, 02:19 AM
I see quilting trish has already posted, she's the one with all the info about visiting Lancaster. One thing to keep in mind is that most fabric shops are closed on Sunday.

tamsterg7
February 28th, 2016, 08:41 PM
Thank you so much!

Tamsterg7 - I will PM you about fabric places and other places to try not to miss while you are there. It is late tonight though so I will get back to you in a few days.

tamsterg7
February 28th, 2016, 08:42 PM
I see quilting trish has already posted, she's the one with all the info about visiting Lancaster. One thing to keep in mind is that most fabric shops are closed on Sunday.

Thank you! And I have been researching some and realized Sundays were closed!

BethB
February 28th, 2016, 10:21 PM
The Old Country Store in Intercourse, Pa - also, Zooks in Intercourse. Burkholders in Denver, Pa is a fairly large store and a favorite for me. Obie, near East Earl, Pa. Someone posted a thread about this store a few months ago. It is small, but fabric is almost floor to ceiling. If you go to Intercourse from Lancaster on the Old Philadelphia Pike, you will pass by several other quilt fabric shops in or around Bird-in-Hand, I can't remember the names of them at this moment. Also, if you google "quilt shops in south central Pennsylvania", you should come up with quite a few shops in the Lancaster area. The Old Country Store in Intercourse is where I have taken most of my quilting classes.

HandsomeRyan
February 29th, 2016, 09:19 AM
Not quilt related but the julius sturgis pretzel bakery and in fact the entire town of Lititz, PA are fun to visit.

MayinJerset
February 29th, 2016, 09:49 AM
Can't leave the Lancaster area without some pretzels! Great to eat on the way home.

amartin24
February 29th, 2016, 11:51 AM
Oh Lancaster! I Love going there several times a year. I'm going in a few weeks for the AQS quilt show. Beth already mentioned the really good ones like The Country Store and Burkholders (also my favorite). There is also The Log Cabin quilt shop. Sight and Sound puts on awesome shows. I would recommend staying at one or more of the many bed and breakfasts. https://www.ejbowmanhouse.com/ is one of my favorites and have stayed there many times. Diane and Scott are wonderful hosts and so down-to-earth. There are many scattered throughout Lancaster county. Tripadvisor is great for top 10's and customer reviews. Ryan mentioned Lititz which is a delightful town. Lots of great shops. If you like country decorating, I recommend visiting Cocalico shop along Route 30. Looks like a tourist trap from outside but lovely finds inside. Again, try to plan it if you can so you don't have a full Sunday to spend in Lancaster - all the good places close up.

Marta
February 29th, 2016, 12:24 PM
I was there in 91. I still dream about the sauerkraut and pork soup I had in a hotel or inn restaurant in Litiz. Don't remember the name just that it was on the main street. At the Ephrata Cloister I found real bayberry candles. Both my sister and I bought queen sized quilts made by a Mennonite woman. We saw her sign while driving along the road. She had for sale one of the most beautiful quilts I have seen . It was all white fabrics and hand quilted . Both of us had small children so was passed on that one.

alliek
February 29th, 2016, 03:04 PM
You will see signs for Quilts, Quilts, and more Quilts!!! I stop in all the little shops off the main line. You can't miss them. One of my favorite spots to visit. Bird In Hand, Intercourse PA. and all the surrounding area. Please be sure to see whatever is playing at the Millenium Theatre. You will NOT be disappointed. Enjoy!

Sylvia H
February 29th, 2016, 03:54 PM
Check out this link about a trip my sister and I took to the Lancaster Area Quilt Shops. Zook's, in Intercourse, was by far our favorite.

http://forum.missouriquiltco.com/general-discussion/56121-shop-hopping-my-sister.html

Here is a map of many of the quilt shops in the Lancaster area. Definitely call ahead to make sure they are opened, even on a weekday, as hours are sometimes limited.

Lancaster County, PA Fabric Shops (http://www.quiltart.com/lancaster.html)

MayinJerset
February 29th, 2016, 05:22 PM
Zook's is also my fave shop in the area.

Good idea to check when shops are open as off season some may not be open everyday. They all should be open. except Sunday's, during the upcoming quilt show March 16-19 2016. Wish I could make it this year.

quiltingtrish
February 29th, 2016, 07:41 PM
I've sent messages to Tamster and Nan. If you don't get them, please let me know.

tamsterg7
February 29th, 2016, 11:25 PM
The town of Lititz is on our list!

fun to visit.[/QUOTE]

tamsterg7
February 29th, 2016, 11:30 PM
Sylvia - this is awesome information!!!!! Thank you so much, I have added them all to my list to scope out on the net before we even go.

http://forum.missouriquiltco.com/general-discussion/56121-shop-hopping-my-sister.html

Here is a map of many of the quilt shops in the Lancaster area. Definitely call ahead to make sure they are opened, even on a weekday, as hours are sometimes limited.

Lancaster County, PA Fabric Shops (http://www.quiltart.com/lancaster.html)[/QUOTE]

Monique
March 1st, 2016, 07:50 AM
Don't look for saucers, they are no longer there. They are now part of zook's. Have a wonderful time.

MayinJerset
March 1st, 2016, 08:03 AM
Sauders down Muddy Creek Road used to be our first stop off the Philly Turnpike, from there we'd head to the old Philly Rd. to Zook's. During our 3 day stay we would hit every other fabric shop in the Lancaster area, didn't matter if we didn't need a thing, it was part of the quilt show excitement. Enjoy the trip and don't buy everything you see, LOL!

Carol336
March 1st, 2016, 08:47 AM
I've been loving reading this thread. You see, my maiden name is Zook, and our family hails from Penn, so I have no doubt I'm distantly related to the Zooks of Lancaster......it's been fun seeing my name in print - LOL. I've been there many times, but have not thought to ask for my family discount!!!!

Grandma Nan
March 1st, 2016, 09:10 AM
I've sent messages to Tamster and Nan. If you don't get them, please let me know.

I received your message Trish. Thanks so much for your time in writing up all those details. I really appreciate it.

Nan