PDA

View Full Version : Night Owl Perch

kimsophia
February 27th, 2016, 03:29 AM
Hoot hoot! How's everyone up late/early? Things are fine here. The Bulls lost, but I'm having fun with my little 32 count cross stitch. It should be done soon. I stopped by Jo-Ann's for some embroidery floss. It seems silly to use up my coupons on floss, but why not? What's up with yooou? @,@

Cokie
February 27th, 2016, 04:15 AM
Hi kimsophia! I'm up way too late working on the crosswalk quilt and feeling frustrated. Heading to bed and will try again tomorrow. Going to a couple quilt shops in Amish country later on Saturday since I just don't have enough fabric! :icon_happy:

Judy, USMC
February 27th, 2016, 04:41 AM
This is my last weekend at the condo so I'm finishing up some of the tops I started. Have to do some picking up - otherwise he won't have a place to sit. I have a tendency to really spread out when I'm here.

MayinJerset
February 27th, 2016, 06:13 AM
I'm up with achy knees that needed stretching. We had a nice day yesterday, cold but sunny and no rain for a change although my knees may be trying to tell me rain will be back.

Searching my saved files for the directions for Tee Pee Pee Pee's, circles of fabric sewn together that are put over baby boy's penises so you don't get a shower when you change them. Thought a few of them would go well with the cuddle quilt I'm making my new great grandson. One gal made them from small wash clothes and called them Wee Wee Wampum's - cute, could have used them years ago as I had 3 boys.126698

RockinLou
February 28th, 2016, 02:33 AM
I'm enjoying an unseasonably warm sunshiny day with all my windows open.... my husband has taken my son to buy pants (he outgrew them all this week) and get groceries.... I'm supposed to be working to prepare for the week ahead but all I can think about is lovely things I want to sew.... it's the first time in a long time now that I've had so many ideas bouncing around my sewing wishes list... it's hard to resist, but the quiet moments are few and far between for work, so I probably need to get back to that ;(

Cowgirl quilter
February 28th, 2016, 02:57 AM
Cruzin' the web and dreaming up ideas until my sewing room is up again. Got all my kitchen cabinets cleaned out and my stuff put away today, so feeling pretty good. May, the Pee Pee Tee Pees are cute - but what I remember of my little boys, you would have to be pretty quick to make them work!

MayinJerset
February 28th, 2016, 04:32 AM
All is calm and peaceful on this new day and hope it stays that way. Hard to stay awake some nights so I may have to prop my eyelids. Maybe some of you other Night Owls can give me a few Hoots now and again to keep me alert and on duty.126735

toggpine
February 28th, 2016, 05:24 AM
I am not up sewing. Emily is having issues with the idea of ghosts.
Apparently there has been quite the discussion at school about the reality of ghosts. Their version are the super scary ones from horror flicks.
So she is not wanting to sleep by herself. We have been trying to explain the unexplainable. Ugh. Two nights now, and probably a few more before I could pry what was wrong out of her. I'm not sure what videos they were watching on the Chrome books at school that started this, but I am going to find out. We need some warning with these topics for this girl.
Sunday I'll be heading over Mom's to see if I can get Dad's tablet to connect to the wireless. Apparently he's been off the internet for a few weeks!!!! Wish me luck as I'm not tech savvy, but can follow directions.
Happy Saturday night hooting! Cathy

bubba
February 28th, 2016, 05:49 AM
My youngest grandboy, Ashtyn, turned ten today!!! When he was born he was the smallest of all my grandchildren, at under six pounds. He lost over a pound the first week and was not thriving at all. I stayed with them when he was first born because our daughter had to have a C-section and I was already off on leave for MM who had had two major surgeries in three weeks. I had him on one floor, her on another floor and the baby mostly where I went. Tyler was ten at the time and in school during the day, so that was the easy part! I lost twenty pounds in two weeks with all the running up and down I did!

With Ashtyn, we were at the doctor almost everyday because he was so tiny.....premie clothes were even too big for him, as were the diapers! One day we were there 2x....he had gotten jaundice really bad (think the color of a bad spray tan!) so we were there in the morning. Throughout the day, he developed a terrible rash covering everything but his head and hands.....it was raised and scary looking. Back to the doctor we went. Turns out it was caused by his mother not washing his new baby clothes first and he had an allergic reaction to the sizing. Now we had to lotion him up several times a day to protect his skin, plus put him in what sun we could find, and feed him every two hours, 24 hours a day!

He is now a busy ten year old and all he wanted was a phone of his own. His parents got him one. He had asked us for one, but I told him I didn't think it was something we'd get him and he mentioned a video game he wanted, so that was our present to him. Between that phone and the game, he thought he hit the jackpot! So fun to see them growup.....

MM is already sound asleep and snoring away. Castle reruns are no longer on Saturday/Sunday nights, much to my dismay so I guess I will go read till I'm tired enough to doze off.

Thinking of dying my hair a new color, so I may go look at that tomorrow!

kimsophia
February 28th, 2016, 06:48 AM
I've been finishing up my little cross stitched heart. I didn't know what to do with it as I couldn't figure out what the original pattern made... a fabric rectangle? I'm still not positive but it may be a little scissors fob or case. I got started looking a little fob patterns. I love miniatures so these are so cute to me. I don't really need a fob for my scissors, nor a case, as they came with a case that hangs around my neck, but there are all other sorts of weird things to cross stitch: biscornu, chatelaines, needle books, and of course pin cushions. These projects can be done in a few days, if you have nothing better to do like me...so I am pretty excited. Also I have a lot of linen to work on, plus Aida fabric. Anyway, these little things will not be like a quilt, so hot to make with a lapful of fabric...they'll be nice and cool for spring and summer projects. If you are interested in the topic, here are some neat web sites:
Scissors and Fobs (http://scissorsandfobs.blogspot.com/)
The Victoria Sampler - Free Patterns (http://www.victoriasampler.com/Free_Patterns/Default.aspx)
Search Results from 123Stitch.com (http://www.123stitch.com/cgi-perl/abcSearch/search.cgi?page=1&keyword=fob&searchid=&filteredby=&sortorder=relevance&resultstoreturn=35&designer=&type=&webpage=&NewItems=0&OnSale=0&Clearance=0&FreeShipping=0)
Heart + Arrow Pin Cushion | Purl Soho - Create (http://www.purlsoho.com/create/2012/01/29/lauras-loop-heart-and-arrow-pin-cushion/)
Heart + Arrow Pin Cushion | Purl Soho - Create (http://www.purlsoho.com/create/2012/01/29/lauras-loop-heart-and-arrow-pin-cushion/)
https://lhfinishingschool.wordpress.com/biscornu-class/
Finishing Lesson (http://www.annettesacre.com/lessons/biscornu.html)
Biscornu instructions and patterns - Own Two Hands (http://own-two-hands.livejournal.com/4186.html)

Carol336
February 28th, 2016, 08:19 AM
Hoot hoot! How's everyone up late/early? Things are fine here. The Bulls lost, but I'm having fun with my little 32 count cross stitch. It should be done soon. I stopped by Jo-Ann's for some embroidery floss. It seems silly to use up my coupons on floss, but why not? What's up with yooou? @,@

Kim....haven't been here for a little while....did I miss your hexi quilt......I really wanted to see it

kimsophia
February 28th, 2016, 09:17 AM
Kim....haven't been here for a little while....did I miss your hexi quilt......I really wanted to see it

It's in my album on my profile page! :)
http://forum.missouriquiltco.com/members/kimsophia-albums-floating-hexagons-quilt.html

MayinJerset
February 28th, 2016, 10:44 AM
What pretty counted cross stitch patterns. While looking through them I learned something as the last one mention a Biscornu and I wondered what it was. Glad they provided the definition - Biscornu is a French adjective that means "that which has an irregular form, with projections" or "complicated and bizarre." - could that be describing my shape? LOL!

kimsophia
February 28th, 2016, 10:58 AM
haha....mine, too, May!

The sun is up and I'm looking for robins. My buddy said he had seen some a couple of days ago. It's 51 degrees and it isn't even 8 a.m. yet! Pretty amazing for February.

Claire Hallman
February 28th, 2016, 02:05 PM
I am in Alabama and the robins are here, they stripped all the berries off a holly bush in one day. I have never seen that happen, there must have been 15 birds devouring those berries, I haven't seen them since but I am sure they are around working on other holly bushes.

Carol336
February 28th, 2016, 08:24 PM
It's in my album on my profile page! :)
http://forum.missouriquiltco.com/members/kimsophia-albums-floating-hexagons-quilt.html

WOW- that is really awesome....you really did a wonderful job....I love it

kimsophia
February 29th, 2016, 03:41 AM
Well it's an early Monday morning here in Iowa...I have been making a scissors sheath cover and a...very goofy looking thing that probably needs to be redone! Maybe an ornament? Or fob? Or little pincushion? I'll think of somethin' to do with it...

So did you watch the Oscars? I didn't, instead I watched "I Hate Christian Laettner" on ESPN...

bubba
February 29th, 2016, 04:02 AM
I unfortunately did watch them. If Chris Rock is the host again next year, I won't be watching them. The only reason I even watch is to see the memorials, and the female/male winners and best show. If I have to, I'll just watch the last thirty minutes next year if he's on. Absolutely disgusting.

kimsophia
February 29th, 2016, 04:18 AM
What happened?

toggpine
February 29th, 2016, 05:33 AM
Dear Lord, when will it end? First it was the ghosts. I finally got her to sleep with her head in my lap while we were on the couch. I managed to sneak out, use the toilet, and be in my own bed for about 30 minutes before she was shuffling in to stand at the edge of the bed. "Mom, can I talk to you about something?"
Uhh, OK. *put on slippers and head out to the couch*
Yes sweetie, what is it?
"Mom. What about aliens? Are they real?"
(Seriously Kid? It's 1:30 in the AM after one of the worst nights of sleep in a long time, and now is when we are going to discuss if aliens exist?)
I managed some sort of coherent speech that at least convinced her we wouldn't have one knocking on our door overnight, and we all went back to sleep for a few hours.
We revisited both of those topics again tonight before bed, and I am hoping for a solid night sleep for her.

In other news, I managed to get my step-dad's tablet connected to the internet. I think they need to move the router to the kitchen phone jack for better WiFi coverage through the house, but that is a chore for another day.
From there I took Miss Em with me to go bra shopping. I know, how thrilling huh? After 10 years, the molecular structure of the elastic finally caves in and melts into a weird goo, thus it was necessary to go find some new ones. They are not cheap, and the cheap ones don't seem to do the trick. I was just going to order some off the website, but the trip to Mom's gave me a good enough location to justify the trip to the Mall. I am glad I did go in and try them on. Things have changed in the last 10 years and several of the styles don't fit the same and I found a new style that really gives the girls a boost and is super comfy. Of course at this point, a Wal-Mart tube top might have healthier elastic!

Not much else to report from this neck of the woods. I'm just waiting for this last load of laundry to finish before I head off to bed.
Happy Hooting! Cathy

MayinJerset
February 29th, 2016, 07:44 AM
Cathy, Hope Em gets over the night time boogie men so you both can get a good sleep. Hate bra shopping but in person shopping is better than online shopping as you can actually feel how the bra fits. Ordered on line 2 different brands in the same sizes and one as too big and the other too small.

Pat, So what happened at the Oscars? Haven't watched them in years, haven't seen any of the movies and hardly know who all the actors, etc. are.

All Quiet out here so it's almost time to head to my nest. No birds signing to announce the arrival of daybreak but DH said there was a robin out front yesterday so Spring and more birds are on the way.

kimsophia
February 29th, 2016, 07:55 AM
Aw man, everybody's seeing robins but me!

I don't go to movies anymore. I just wait for them to come out on Netflix. The movie theater is not accommodating to stopping the picture so I can run to the potty.

toggpine
February 29th, 2016, 12:47 PM
Since I tried them on, and wrote down the sizes for the different styles, I came home and ordered the plain white ones off of the Internet since they didn't have those in the store during the sale. I also found a gift card from returning something years ago, and they still honored it! Who hoo!

We made it through the night without any visits to Mom for advice on Things That Go Bump In The Night. Thank you sweet Baby Jesus!

kimsophia
February 29th, 2016, 01:38 PM
Hey I saw my first robins!! :icon_woohoo:

RockinLou
February 29th, 2016, 02:38 PM
Since I tried them on, and wrote down the sizes for the different styles, I came home and ordered the plain white ones off of the Internet since they didn't have those in the store during the sale. I also found a gift card from returning something years ago, and they still honored it! Who hoo!

We made it through the night without any visits to Mom for advice on Things That Go Bump In The Night. Thank you sweet Baby Jesus!

How old is your fearful daughter? We're just getting over a virus/cold in our house, and my son is almost 5, he has come visiting more often than not while sick, and it's a TOUGH habit to break him of.... when I notice him in bed though, between him and my husband's snoring, I've decided that my most effective sleep is when I bail on them, carry my Lego Yoda alarm clock into my sons room and sleep undisturbed in his little bed.

I've been reading Little House in the Big Woods with my 7 year old, and being city kids there's lots of stuff in the books about farm life in the 1800s that she doesn't know, I'm very surprised it hasn't raised more questions. I've never read the books before, so we are on this adventure together.

It's 11:30 pm here, and I've just eaten a bowl of Cookie Crisps. I'm taking a teaching course on educational technology, it is all online, and it is interesting, but it is keeping me up late. It's a struggle though, one would think that to enroll in a graduate level technology course that you might have some technology background to bring to the table. I'm starting to suspect that they intentionally recruited me to join the cohort.... it is all other teachers within my network of schools, all with varying levels of "savy" when it comes to "tech" and I'm certainly the youngest in the crowd. Regardless, it is interesting, I'm getting new ideas from it, it is applicable to what I am teaching and the tools we are using, and so it will all be worth it! 3 credits closer to renewing my teaching license too ;-)

RockinLou
February 29th, 2016, 02:39 PM
Hey I saw my first robins!! :icon_woohoo:

I'm jealous!!

RockinLou
February 29th, 2016, 02:42 PM
In other news, I'm with everyone who believe that Bra shopping is best done online.

Cathy, please, don't leave the girls just to a wal-mart tank top!! Hoist 'em up, stabilize 'em and get 'em out of the way!

I'm a 34DDD and have been since I was in high school. I am the ONLY woman I know who was really, really, really sad that after breastfeeding 2 kids my boobs did not shrink a single centimeter. . . If I could wave a wand and shrink them I would, but until then, I'll bind them up and keep them still, all that jostling and bouncing around when the bras are shot is just too annoying to me!