PDA

View Full Version : Hooting in the Wind @,@

kimsophia
February 18th, 2016, 02:30 AM
Man is there a cold wind out there tonight! Raw! I hope you are finding a nice hollow tree hole to nest in.

I did some more tying on the Falling Hexagons project. It is so thick that it makes the back of my recliner nice and cushy if I lay back on it. And of course, warm.

I am looking forward to doing some counted cross stitch or maybe even ribbon embroidery next. What's up with you? :icon_wave:

stationarymom
February 18th, 2016, 02:50 AM
Hoot I hope you're tucked into your nest really tight. It was a little warmer here today but winter is supposed to be back aging tomorrow.My sewing time was eaten up today because we had to take Sterling to the vets today,He started passing blood this am and then continued with the runs for a bit.The vet put him back on the med for the parasite to see if it will help clear up the inflammation he has left from the parasite.When he first got the parasite he weighed 40lbs,but the vet he saw prescribed enough med. for a 15lb dog.So we are still trying to get him better from that.They said if this course of meds doesn't do the job they will have to look further and do more test to see what is going on.I wish they would do it now and rule out serious trouble.

Cowgirl quilter
February 18th, 2016, 03:19 AM
Man is there a cold wind out there tonight! Raw! I hope you are finding a nice hollow tree hole to nest in.

I did some more tying on the Falling Hexagons project. It is so thick that it makes the back of my recliner nice and cushy if I lay back on it. And of course, warm.

I am looking forward to doing some counted cross stitch or maybe even ribbon embroidery next. What's up with you? :icon_wave:

At least you have the right weather for tying your quilt (or the right quilt for the weather?) I used to do a lot of counted cross stitch, before the quilting bug bit. Not sure I would enjoy it as much now, certainly would have to wear reading glasses to see it these days. On the other hand, I have been enjoying some peyote bead work between quilts, and need them for that, too.

While you are freezing, we are still thawing, with rain predicted tonight as well. Thursday forecast even has a lightning bolt on it. Yikes! DH brought me a viola that was blooming in my strawberry bed yesterday.

redcaboose1717
February 18th, 2016, 03:49 AM
It's cold here in Michigan too....brrr ! I am up looking at videos, patterns and the DD for the day.......soon off to bed.

Hulamoon
February 18th, 2016, 04:17 AM
Rain here the last couple of days. I moved some lighting around so I can cut some things tonight. I'm watching Hell's Kitchen and wondering where they get get these people. It's stupid, but fun to watch and shake your head. lol

bubba
February 18th, 2016, 04:53 AM
It's been raining pretty good here! Last night I was woke up by loud thumping sounds and thought someone was in my house! Yoda was sleeping right thru everything, not that he is a guard dog or anything....he might lick you to death. Seems the raccoon is back..I told MM the kiwi vine is coming down and hopefully that will end the problem. Late last summer there were three babies up there playing one night! Of course, it's never when MM is home. Anyway, I moved out to the couch in the TV room and put my head where Yoda apparently thinks is his place and his place alone. I was nearly asleep when he hopped halfway up and stuck his nose in my face. I finally had to move to the other section to make him go away!!

I worked on cutting out the America's Garden quilt today. I have three states cut, Alaska, Arizona, and Arkansas, so hopefully I will get one sewing together tomorrow. When I work on it the song for all the states keeps going thru my head and it's kind of annoying.

Watching todays recording of Ellen, then I'm hitting the hay.

Judy, USMC
February 18th, 2016, 04:57 AM
Sunny in the upper 50's today. Wanted to get some sewing in but had minor surgery to remove a cyst behind my ear ... 3 stitches and an ear ache put me out of the mood.

Warm thoughts to all you chilly owls.

Neller
February 18th, 2016, 05:08 AM
It was cloudy and rainy here today but still in the 40's tonight. I don't know how warm it was during the day but I was out and about in a sweater and was comfortable. I lived in Alaska for 28 years and I am so glad to be in a place with 4 seasons instead of snow and no snow.

I finally got my machine threaded. It turned out I had a bent needle. I hadn't even thought about that. I finished sewing my square in a square top and now have to do borders. What do you hoot owls think? There is a class at my LFS on borders and binding that is a 6 hour class. It costs $120 plus $35 for a kit. I have never paid that much money for a class. Have any of you? I watched a video on YouTube on how to measure for borders and sew them on and it doesn't seem that tricky. I have a bunch of jelly roll strips left from my quilt and I was thinking of sewing them together and then cutting them into 2.5" strips and having a scrappy border. I think the only tricky part of that will be making the ends come out even. If any one has any tips or suggestions, I would really appreciate it.

Everyone have a good night!

toggpine
February 18th, 2016, 05:17 AM
We are still at the beach for a few more days. I have given up. I have resigned myself to the cook/housekeeper role for the week. Breakfasts seem to be "on your own", but lunch and dinner are apparently, mostly my responsibility. My son and daughter-in-law have taken on a lunch and a dinner, for which I am extremely grateful.
The clean up is all mine though. I started dinner prep at 4:30 and finished wiping down the stove at 9 tonight. Dinners for 8 which involve two kids and a pair of randomly vegan senior citizens has been a bit of a struggle. As much as I love my husband, he becomes a different guy when his parents are here.
They were talking about this becoming an annual event. Not if I have anything to say about it. Apparently I forget how it goes and every 5 years or so I cave in and we do this. It is bad enough if they decide to visit us at home, but at least there I have the barn to escape to.
Bright spot? My mother is coming down tomorrow and my Sister will hopefully be able to make it down on Friday night. We will have Em's birthday party on Saturday to round out our week. I'll have some back up coming in!
More good news is that we have a new baby goat that has been born while we were away. All reports are she is doing well. I know for sure when we get home and I'll post some baby pictures!
I'm going to turn in and hopefully catch some Zzzs!
Hugs, Cathy

kimsophia
February 18th, 2016, 05:33 AM
I have a bunch of jelly roll strips left from my quilt and I was thinking of sewing them together and then cutting them into 2.5" strips and having a scrappy border. I think the only tricky part of that will be making the ends come out even. If any one has any tips or suggestions, I would really appreciate it.

Everyone have a good night!

Hi Neller, I am not hugely experienced but I have made two quilts using jellyrolls and the first was a coin quilt, so I know about sewing them together. One tip I've read is, alternate the direction you push the fabric through. Don't do like I did and just keep adding a strip to the right. It skews it. I'm not quite sure about the details, never having done it, but you should be able to get four strips in the harp of your machine easily, even if some have to be turned about.

The other tip is, that I could never make the strips come out perfectly even, but consider that the width of a bolt of fabric is usually 42-44 inches. Now if they don't all even up, and when you trim them to be even they wind up being cut down to 40 inches. But cut down to 2.5" strips you will still get 16 units per 40 inches. That's a lot. Since jellyrolls are 2.5" wide, you will be cutting squares. Usually I see piano key borders which are longer than they are wide. But of course, if squares are the look you want, go for it. :) I'm sure you will get better advice from other people with more experience. :)

Neller
February 18th, 2016, 05:42 PM
Usually I see piano key borders which are longer than they are wide. But of course, if squares are the look you want, go for it. :) I'm sure you will get better advice from other people with more experience. :)

I'm worried whether I'll have enough fabric for piano keys but if I don't I can always use piano keys on the corners and up partway on the sides and use my original border fabric for the rest of the border. I laid the top out on our bed today and it is plenty big, so may not need to add multiple borders as I originally thought.

kimsophia
February 18th, 2016, 06:13 PM
I'm worried whether I'll have enough fabric for piano keys but if I don't I can always use piano keys on the corners and up partway on the sides and use my original border fabric for the rest of the border. I laid the top out on our bed today and it is plenty big, so may not need to add multiple borders as I originally thought.

Ah, if the center is done you can measure the circumference. Due to each seam allowance, each 2 1/2 inch square will give you two inches. If you get sixteen squares from each jellyroll piece you will cover 32 inches with each strip you have. Since there are usually 40 strips per roll, you would get 1,280 inches of coverage. Even if your quilt came out 100 x 100 inches you would only need 396 inches (the corners making that not add up to 400). So you will have 884 extra inches.

Now I invite someone smarter to check my math, and here's the next puzzle...how much longer can the piano keys be with those extra inches? I think they could be four inches long and not 2.5, but I'm not confident of my math.

Neller
February 19th, 2016, 04:46 AM
Ah, if the center is done you can measure the circumference. Due to each seam allowance, each 2 1/2 inch square will give you two inches. If you get sixteen squares from each jellyroll piece you will cover 32 inches with each strip you have. Since there are usually 40 strips per roll, you would get 1,280 inches of coverage. Even if your quilt came out 100 x 100 inches you would only need 396 inches (the corners making that not add up to 400). So you will have 884 extra inches.

That helps, Kimsophia. I don't have a full jelly roll left over, but I'll add up what I have and then figure it out for both squares and piano keys. Thank you!

Today I received the new sewing table I bought last week. I was surprised it came so quickly. It's not as big as I wanted but it was what I could afford and I may add on to it later if I need to. For years I was either sewing on the dining room table (BIG mess!!), or on an old small student desk that my husband had when he was a kid. This one will have an insert so that my sewing surface will be even with the table which is really nice. Slowly but surely my sewing studio is coming into shape!

kimsophia
February 19th, 2016, 04:59 AM
Having the table and sewing surface the same level is such a luxury and I'm not sure why all sewing tables aren't like that. I guess not everyone is a quilter...??? :icon_crazy: I saw a funny T-shirt online that said, "Weekend forecast: quilting with a chance of drinking".

I did ribbon embroidery tonight. I also ordered some graph tracing paper to make photographs into a counted cross stitch. I would like to sew some happy childhood memories and frame it. There is a designer named Perrette Samouiloff who has some cute ideas I want to steal. Perrette Samouiloff - Gone fishing - color version (large pattern) (cross stitch) (http://www.creativepoppypatterns.com/perrette-samouiloff-gone-fishing-large-color-version-xml-211_277-2179.html)