PDA

View Full Version : Peg Boards

rebeccas-sewing
February 17th, 2016, 12:51 PM
Has anyone installed a pegboard in their sewing room that they spray painted? I'm wondering how well the paint holds up or if I'm going to have problems with it. I would prefer that it be white but I'm just not sure if painting it is wise. I figured I would use a primer first so that might help with the adhesion. I'd love to hear some opinions.

Hulamoon
February 17th, 2016, 01:06 PM
I did and it's holding up fine. Remember you have to put strips of wood on the back to keep it away from the wall. Otherwise you won't be able to get the hooks in.

Simply Quilting
February 17th, 2016, 01:17 PM
You can buy peg board that is already white. Also as I looked through one hardware store, it now comes in a rainbow of colors.

YellowCockatiel
February 17th, 2016, 01:36 PM
I did and it's holding up fine. Remember you have to put strips of wood on the back to keep it away from the wall. Otherwise you won't be able to get the hooks in.

Holy Moly! Your peg board is so neat and organized, do you keep it that neat all the time?

asta
February 17th, 2016, 01:38 PM
I have used Rustolium 2 in one paint and primer and it is holding up great, just sprayed it on the bare wood. We also found that the mounting pins that are found in the peg hook section http://www.menards.com/main/tools-hardware/tool-storage/wall-mounted-storage/peg-board-mounting-kit/p-1444421803870-c-12657.htm?tid=8868164642153530503

work well but we put 2 spacers to hold the board further because our walls are a bit warped in the basement.

Lorie, it looks like you chose the same color for yours! Great minds think alike.

Hulamoon
February 17th, 2016, 01:54 PM
I have used Rustolium 2 in one paint and primer and it is holding up great, just sprayed it on the bare wood. We also found that the mounting pins that are found in the peg hook section http://www.menards.com/main/tools-hardware/tool-storage/wall-mounted-storage/peg-board-mounting-kit/p-1444421803870-c-12657.htm?tid=8868164642153530503

work well but we put 2 spacers to hold the board further because our walls are a bit warped in the basement.

Lorie, it looks like you chose the same color for yours! Great minds think alike.

I didn't know about that kit! I'm happy I used the wood though. I was able to put a little shelf on top for my collection of vintage toy's and banks.

Hulamoon
February 17th, 2016, 01:56 PM
Holy Moly! Your peg board is so neat and organized, do you keep it that neat all the time?

So far, but I bought more rulers since then.

EnumclawGramma
February 17th, 2016, 06:51 PM
I bought mine at a yard sale. Already painted white and it's framed, which keeps it away from the wall.

RockinLou
February 18th, 2016, 12:10 AM
Lorie- what is the rubber chicken for?!?!

I love this idea, wish we were permanent enough to install it somewhere!!

redcaboose1717
February 18th, 2016, 12:26 AM
I have a pegboard that my DH Terry painted white & put a frame around it for me in 1981, shortly after we moved into our first home. I still have the same pegboard today, and it looks brand new. He used a good quality paint from a Benjamin Moore store here in town. ( it was actually left over white paint that he had after painting the kitchen in the apartment we vacated when purchasing that first house.)

Hulamoon
February 18th, 2016, 12:27 AM
Lorie- what is the rubber chicken for?!?!

I love this idea, wish we were permanent enough to install it somewhere!!

Sandy N made that for me. It's supposed to be a pin cushion.

She sent it in a box of feathers. lol

SallyO'Sews
February 18th, 2016, 01:36 AM
I love the pegboard I put up in my sewing room! It actually came already white on one side (brown on the other). I used self-stick felt furniture glides (they come 12 in a package, about 1" in diameter and doubled them up) on the back of the board in the corners and in the middle of the top and bottom. So far it's great - no more losing my tools under all the fabric scraps on my cutting table! :D

clwetzel
February 18th, 2016, 10:37 AM
I've painted the pegboard to match the wall, just applied primer and paint. The paint held up fine. The problem is making sure my husband doesn't take my hooks for the pegboard in his shop.

rebeccas-sewing
February 18th, 2016, 02:34 PM
Thanks everyone. I'll buy the paint today and wait for the sun to shine so I can get busy painting. Really excited to have this board up in my sewing room. I'm hoping to put most of my rulers, templates, machine embroidery hoops, etc. on it to get them out of the way. I love seeing what everyone hangs on theirs. Gives me great ideas.

MayinJerset
February 18th, 2016, 03:31 PM
Rebecca, See that you are back in US, where in Orange county are you? DS#3 lived in Alicia Viejo until a few years ago.