PDA

View Full Version : Don't ignore it or put it off!

amartin24
February 16th, 2016, 01:16 PM
I'm posting this as I just lost my 85 year old mother last week to Stage 4 Colon cancer. She was my Best Friend and I will miss her dearly!
My Mom was always diligent about having her colonoscopies, especially since she had had polyps in the past. But, after her last scan at age 80 showed no polyps, she was told by her doctor that she doesn't need to have another. She was having a few issues, but since she was also having heart issues, that was her main focus (as well as her doctors). Regretfully, I wasn't on top of her appointments at that time. It was suggested by her primary doctor to see a gastroenterologist but she didn't since she was sick of seeing so many doctors. Well, that was the one she Should've gone to! In October, she had gone to the ER as she was really constipated. They wound up doing a CT scan and that is when her cancer was discovered. It had already spread to her liver and lungs. She was too weak at that point to have any cancer treatments, so unfortunately, she was put on hospice.
So, please if any of you have never had a colonoscopy or have put it off for any number of excuses, please go see a gastroenterologist and get one scheduled. And, if you are past 80, and things aren't just right, push to get one done! Colon cancer is the Number 1 cancer that can easily be prevented - by having colonoscopies! Now, with this in my family history, I will be getting one every 2 - 2 1/2 years! I already had taken it upon myself at age 40 to start having them, as I saw a friend in her 40's have colon cancer. Because of the horrible medical insurance companies, it is "recommended" to not start having them until age 50. Well, unfortunately, that might be too late! Doctors can always get around the insurance companies if you push for it! Be your own advocate!

quiltingtrish
February 16th, 2016, 01:37 PM
Alina - I'm so sorry to hear your Mother has passed. I will put you and your family in my prayers.

Lori63
February 16th, 2016, 01:41 PM
We lost a close friend a couple years ago to colon cancer, he was in his middle 50's. If he would have gotten his first colonoscopy at 50 as recommended, he would probably still be alive today. His cancer was found in April and he was gone by August of the same year.

Definitely get your colonoscopy done, it could save your life!

Jean Sewing Machine
February 16th, 2016, 02:25 PM
So sorry for your loss. My mom also had colon cancer. Cancer is a horrible disease.

Simply Quilting
February 16th, 2016, 02:36 PM
Alina, so sorry for the loss of your mother.

auntiemern
February 16th, 2016, 03:03 PM
Alina, so very sorry for your loss. My DS lost her FIL to colon cancer. Cancer truly is the most horrific disease. We just lost a precious little 7 yr old to a rare, aggressive form of cancer. Prayers for you and your family at this difficult time.

jjkaiser
February 16th, 2016, 03:25 PM
I think you are talking right at me! My dh keeps bugging me to have a colonoscopy and I just keep ignoring him and I am 60. My main excuse is that there's no history of colon cancer in my family. I know. I am so bad.

amartin24
February 16th, 2016, 03:30 PM
I think you are talking right at me! My dh keeps bugging me to have a colonoscopy and I just keep ignoring him and I am 60. My main excuse is that there's no history of colon cancer in my family. I know. I am so bad.

Get your A$$ in there! (pun intended)

quiltsRfun
February 16th, 2016, 03:46 PM
My mom had colon cancer, caught early and surgery was successful. My siblings and I now have regular screenings. The procedure itself isn't bad but the prep is not pleasant. It's worth going through considering it can save your life. Anyone who is afraid or embarrassed, don't be. There was an ad campaign in our area comparing it to swimming in the ocean when a shark or two come along and your swimsuit happens to fall off. Would you be too embarrassed to climb into the rescue boat? GET IT DONE!

GaGa
February 16th, 2016, 04:04 PM
I'm so sorry to hear about your mother. Ironically, today I am prepping for a colonoscopy scheduled for tomorrow and it's not fun but is worth it. I have Crohn's and had one 2 years when they removed a suspicious polyp. It was benign but I have to have them every 2 years now. You just have to remember that they can save lives. I taught my classes this morning and am now keeping my sense of humor and have "set up shop" in my bathroom! Thank you, Alina, for a reminder to all!

geegeequilts
February 16th, 2016, 04:21 PM
Ditto on the testing. I also want to give my condolences to you on the loss of your beloved Mom. She's now your personal guardian angel & will watch over you. Don't be afraid to "talk" to her either. I lost my Mom almost 5 years ago. She "helps" me in my quilting.
Many thoughts & prayers for you at this sorrowful time.

Hugs
Gina

DeniseSm
February 16th, 2016, 04:53 PM
I'm so sorry for the loss of your mother and what she went through. There is rampant colon cancer in my family and I get my colonoscopy every five years as I am "high risk." This year my doctor recommended Cologuard testing in between colonoscopies.

Cologuard: A Noninvasive Colon Cancer At-Home Test (http://www.cologuardtest.com/)

The cost of the cologuard test in my area was approx $600 and is covered by my health insurance.

Just do it. It may save your life if caught early.

redcaboose1717
February 16th, 2016, 05:04 PM
Alina,
I am so sorry to hear about your mom's passing. My mom died from cancer ( throat ) in 2006. You're right, preventative testing is important these days, thanks for reminding everyone.
You are in my prayers.

CraftyJnet
February 16th, 2016, 06:55 PM
Alina, I am so sorry for your loss. You are in my prayers.

mischiefkat
February 16th, 2016, 07:49 PM
So sorry for your loss. Kathy

LauraP
February 16th, 2016, 08:32 PM
age doesn't matter. My daughter was 21 and suffering from what everyone thought was ovarian cysts. She did have the cyst but thank God, the x-ray tech took a picture to low and caught a mass in her colon. She was diagnosed with a familial type of cancer with carpet polyps. They were so thick that they couldn't see the actual walls of her colon. She lost all but 6" of her colon and had an ileostomy (bag on stomach) for seven years. Finally she had the reversal where they connected the end of her small intestine to her poop hole so she could get rid of the bag. She still has to be careful of what she eats and she gets colonoscopies every two years. So don't ignore the warning signs just because you think you are to young.

tamsterg7
February 16th, 2016, 08:33 PM
So very sorry to hear of your loss and prayers for you and your family. Not sure who your Mom's carrier was, but as an employee of a large insurance carrier, I can tell you that we cover the test at 100%, and when I do employee meetings I make a point to cover that and stress that we want our members to have that and all other preventive dare done!

Monique
February 16th, 2016, 08:49 PM
So sorry for your loss. I had a colonoscopy last year and had a few polyps removed and had another one just a couple of weeks ago as a follow-up and all is good.

KPH
February 16th, 2016, 09:08 PM
So sorry for your loss.

mischiefkat
February 16th, 2016, 11:04 PM
Laura P
divine providence that the tech did the xry too low. Kathy

stationarymom
February 17th, 2016, 02:51 AM
Alina I am so sorry for the loss of your Mom I will keep you and yours in my prayers.

ceiliam
February 17th, 2016, 07:13 AM
First let me say Alina I am so sorry for your loss. Thank you for taking the time to remind each of us , I lost my Grandmother to this horrible cancer . please all take the time to go and do this test

amartin24
February 17th, 2016, 10:00 AM
Thank you everyone for your condolences and prayers. I do pray everyone gets their colonoscopies done!

Mainiac
February 17th, 2016, 12:28 PM
Yes, get it done as often as recommended by your physician. It's not painful and the prep is getting simpler as well.

Midge
February 17th, 2016, 12:34 PM
Condolences to you and your family on the loss of your dear mother.

susie i
February 17th, 2016, 01:41 PM
Alina,I'm very sorry you have lost your Mother.My mother is 90 and also my best friend,i am thankful for everyday that I have her here.It was very thoughtful of you to send a message to try to help others in your time of grieving.

judimccl
February 18th, 2016, 03:48 PM
So sorry to hear about the loss of your mother. Sending special hugs, and asking God to wrap his arms around you and give you some comfort during this terrible time.

cv quilter
February 18th, 2016, 03:54 PM
So very sorry to hear about your loss. I know right now it leaves a big hole in your heart, but she is still there with you and I'll pray that your sorrow will ease and will be replaced by happy memories.

Neller
February 18th, 2016, 05:50 PM
And don't let ANYONE tell you that the stool test for blood is just as good as a colonoscopy. When I started doing primary care (I am a retired nurse practitioner), I was assigned to a man who had, for YEARS (and he was in his 60's) done the stool occult blood test which was always negative. His previous providers had told him he didn't need a colonoscopy because he stool test was negative. When he became profoundly anemic, a colonoscopy was done as part of the work up. He had stage 4 colon cancer and he died within a year of me becoming his provider. A stool test tells whether or not there is blood the day you test. Not all cancers cause blood loss continually.

When I turned 50, I delayed the colonoscopy for 3 years (and I knew better, believe me). When I had it done, I was amazed at how easy it was and how much less of a big deal it was than I thought it would be. The worst part is drinking the nasty laxative, everything else is a breeze.

SallyO'Sews
February 19th, 2016, 01:09 AM
Alina, I'm so sorry for your loss. Good advice here. As a colorectal cancer survivor, I can attest to the following:
1. Don't think you are too young. I was 51 at the time of my diagnosis. You can bet I have instructed my children to get tested at age 40.
2. I had the following treatment: oral chemo concurrent with radiation, followed by surgery to remove about 12 inches of my lower digestive tract (sorry if this is TMI - :0 ) and ileostomy. After 10 weeks, reversal surgery to get rid of the bag, then 6 months of follow-up, prophylactic chemo. About 18 months from diagnosis to end of treatment. Residual effects of chemo lasted less than a year; zero symptoms since then!
3. Paradoxically, NO insurance company will give me FREE colonscopies. You ONLY get a free scope if it is your first one and they don't find anything, such as a polyp. There are a couple of reasons: My GI doc insists on knocking me out for the procedure (no happy twilight drug :icon_rolleyes: ) since the surgery "re-routed" my guts, and I do, after all, have a "pre-existing" condition. The last scope I had was 3 years after treatment finished (came out nice and clean!), and it took me the next three years after that to pay for it ($6k annual co-pay plus $7500 annual premium = no routine medical care for me). Not complaining, as I have no symptoms whatsoever, but the reality is that I just cannot afford it. Trying to save up the $3,000 I need to have another, but it will likely have to wait at least another year or two.
4. All that said, I am very much in favor of YOU getting a colonoscopy, ESPECIALLY if your insurance company will pay for it! :D

sewbizzy
February 19th, 2016, 01:34 AM
So sorry for your loss...I am due to have a colonoscopy in the spring (every 5 years for me)...I have had 3 so far and some minor polyps have been removed each time...I'm not looking forward to it again, but it is something that needs to be done...thanks for your post and reminding us how important it is...

true4uca
February 20th, 2016, 01:14 AM
Well someone has to be the first one. My sister passed at 46yrs , she lived only 6 months, and my son was diagnosed at 33 yrs (10 yrs. ago). Yet my dad was 80 when he was diagnosed. He elected to for no treatment and passed ay 89. So you just never know as some is slow moving and some is more aggressive. When I was at the hospital there was a group of about six young men 17-22 years. They all had colon cancer.