PDA

View Full Version : Eaglet may hatch today

RiverMomm
February 14th, 2016, 11:49 AM
Photo by Gena Flanigen (I think)

For the last couple months, I have been following the love story of two Bald Eagles nesting on the Berry Campus in Georgia. I threw the love story part in because it's Valentine's day :) My son somehow set my computer up to update whatever sites I have open every once in a while so whenever I walk by the computer, the newest image shows up. My husband laughed the other day when he noticed how much computer time is showing up on my computer "Honestly, hun-I am NOT always on the computer" . . . hmm, well then again, maybe I am if I am peeking at the screen when I walk by.

It's looking like the first eaglet will appear sometime today because the is a "pip" in one of the eggs. A pip is the beginning hole that the little one starts to get out of the egg. Berry College - Eagles (http://berry.edu/eaglecam/) or on LiveStream

Jean Sewing Machine
February 14th, 2016, 12:26 PM
Sounds exciting! Glad this is happening in warm Georgia, not the frozen tundra of your neighborhood!

Midge
February 14th, 2016, 01:18 PM
I love watching the eagle cams too. I've followed the Decorah Iowa eagles for several years now. They haven't laid their eggs yet this year, but you can see their nest. If you go to their Ustream site there are other bird nest cams there to try out. Today the Eaglecrest CA cam is showing a hawk building its nest. So cool....

RiverMomm
February 14th, 2016, 01:49 PM
I am also watching a nest in southern Florida. Eagle Cam - Live Feed (http://dickpritchettrealestate.com/eagle-feed.html)

Such drama. The smallest of the eaglets was removed from the nest because fishing line had wrapped around it's foot and tethered it to the nest. His foot swelled to three times it's normal size. It takes a lot to remove an eaglet because eagles are federally and state protected birds. But since it was a man made issue (fishing line), the rescue was approved. The eaglet was successfully reintroduced back into the nest a couple days later.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmx8nwV7vlU

rebeccas-sewing
February 14th, 2016, 02:24 PM
It's so fun that we can watch these happenings. For a couple of years, birds decided to build a nest in the fruit cage that we use to pull fruit off the tree. It hangs under the eves by one corner of our house in our backyard. When the parents were off collecting food I was able to carefully take the cage down and peer into the nest. The pole was too long for me so I would lower the pole into our pool so I could get the nest at eye level. That was so fun to be so close to the babies

dwil23
February 14th, 2016, 08:44 PM
My Dad and his brother would be attached to a computer watching this if they were still here. How they both loved nature in general and eagles in particular.

TFS - I sent the link to my sister and cousins.

blc
February 14th, 2016, 09:16 PM
The Mom and Dad have been switching off all afternoon. In the brief glimpses of the eggs as they switched off there didn't seem to be any progress on the shell.

RiverMomm
February 15th, 2016, 12:13 AM
It looks like the first eaglet was born this evening. First confirmed sighting was around 7:30. A Valentine baby. :)

I really need an eagle quilt! LOL

snippet
February 15th, 2016, 01:44 AM
This is addicting! I've got two windows open next to each other - one of the Florida eagles with their two babies and the other on the Georgia eagles sitting on their two eggs. I missed it hatching. :(

Then I watched the video of the baby that was entangle in the fishing line. It's HUGE! I had not idea of the size of these creatures until I saw the baby and the caretaker holding it. I read about how big their nests can be and it really didn't register in my brain.

What an education I've had today. Thanks.

bubba
February 15th, 2016, 01:46 AM
Yep, it hatched at 1934! I watched those things a lot last year.....very addicting!

snippet
February 15th, 2016, 04:48 AM
Ok Rivermomm you to blame for me not doing anything today! I went back and watched the baby hatch and got to hear it chirping! I didn't know they did that so soon. Then I watched live and saw the mom cleaning the nest; she pulled the eggshell out and dropped it on the edge of the nest.

I wonder.... where does the dad sleep? In another nest, on a branch close by or where?

Simply Quilting
February 15th, 2016, 04:27 PM
Thank you for link. We have had fun watching them today.

Usually the other eagle is nearby if it not hunting. Occasionally, both are in the nest. They both hunt and both sit on the nest.

bubba
February 15th, 2016, 06:35 PM
I spent many hours last year watching this pair. It is not always the mom in the nest.....just as often it is the dad. There was information on the site last year that told you how you can tell the difference. Once the babies got bigger, I didn't like so much when they were brought actual animals...that was kind of gross to watch.

RiverMomm
February 15th, 2016, 07:25 PM
Ok Rivermomm you to blame for me not doing anything today! I went back and watched the baby hatch and got to hear it chirping! I didn't know they did that so soon. Then I watched live and saw the mom cleaning the nest; she pulled the eggshell out and dropped it on the edge of the nest.

I wonder.... where does the dad sleep? In another nest, on a branch close by or where?

LOL-you're welcome! I have been watching on and off for the big day and today we have the second eaglet! Two babies in two days Normally there are a couple days between hatchings.

There is only one nest. Dad sometimes sleeps on a nearby branch or goes off to who knows where. He normally comes in the morning, (sometimes with a food gift for mom) and does a shift change with Mom. Then Mom goes off to hunt and eat. Mom stays on the nest more than Dad but he does spend a lot of time on the nest. She does night duty and he gives her time away during the day. Dad seems to do a lot of the nest building.

Now that the little guys are here, Mom will continue being on the nest a bit more than Dad but both are very attentive parents. Both parents will be bringing a lot of food gifts to leave in the nest for the next week or two. I guess it's so whenever Mom or Dad get the urge to feed the babies, food is on hand. Those babies grow super fast. The eaglet that was rescued in FL was not quite two weeks old and was the size of a small chicken already.

Mom Berry Eagle is bigger and fluffier than Dad. If you look at her head, the feathers don't lay as flat as Dad's head feathers.

Welcome Baby Eagle #2

songbird857
February 15th, 2016, 07:33 PM
Wowowow! I just love this. This is one way in which technology is truly a blessing.

MaryD
February 21st, 2016, 09:10 AM
Just spent half and hour watching the chicks being fed. They're so small!

snippet
February 21st, 2016, 10:16 AM
Now I'm watching THREE eagle nests on webcams! All have different ages of babies/eggs and it's so neat to see.

It can be scary watching though. A chick can peck and bully the other so much so that the younger baby sits still and tries to be invisible. It's so sad to watch and see the parent do nothing. But eventually the little one will figure out how to sneak in and get some food. But it can be so heart wrenching.

I was watching the Decorah, Iowa nest and didn't see the egg at all. I know it's very cold up there, and there wasn't a parent on the nest. But the egg was nestled deep down in the nest cup. Whew!

It's very educational.

MaryD: They aren't as small as you'd think. The egg was about the size of a tennis ball. I don't know the exact size of the babies now, but it's really deceiving watching them on the nest. I didn't realize how big the nest is!

Midge
February 21st, 2016, 10:26 AM
Snippet, it can be hypnotic watching those nests! The Decorah eagles have an egg now, so the excitement is just beginning there. Yes it is deceiving watching through the cam and hard to appreciate the actual size of those nests if you haven't seen one in real life. Think about 5 feet across, but if the parents have been in one nest over a couple of seasons they will continue to remodel and enlarge it. They can weigh 2 tons. A few years ago the huge Decorah nest was destroyed in a storm and so the one they inhabit now is new. A 'starter home' kind of nest. They are magnificent creatures.

Tina W
February 21st, 2016, 11:11 AM
Have been watching them since they hatched, so cute but boy do they fight with each other. I will be glued to this site until they take off in flight.

blc
February 21st, 2016, 11:14 AM
We too have been watching the babies grow. My husband has a home office for when he is in town and has three monitors on his desk. He keeps one of the monitors streaming with a view of the babies. No matter where I am he will call to me as soon as Mom or Dad moves off the babies. What is it about babies, no matter what babies that excites us all?

rebeccas-sewing
February 21st, 2016, 02:37 PM
I see the babies are born!

rebeccas-sewing
February 21st, 2016, 02:52 PM
It's so much fun watching domestic life in the nest of these Bald Eagles. I just spent a few minutes watching the new babies being fed fresh fish. Thanks again for sharing this webcam with us.

kimsophia
February 21st, 2016, 06:30 PM
I just got a view of them being fed too. There are two dead fish laying there. Very amazing to watch.