View Full Version : Space-Invaded Night Owl

February 14th, 2016, 02:34 AM
The in-laws have arrived.

All work ceases for the arrival and for hours afterwards. Except me. I have caught up on the vacuuming, the vacuum packing of food, and anything else that makes noise. Sorry. If I am going to be doing all of the meals for the next week while the family is vacationing together, and you decide to come a couple of days early to stay at our house, you get what you get.
Sorry. They irritate me. I shouldn't feel like the staff in my own home. Thanks for letting me vent that.

I still have some things to get done, but most of it is complete. I can now retire to the sewing room if I want to finish those items. First I shall take an extended visit to the barn to do nightly baby goat checks. We are expecting in the next day or so.

I hope all is well in your neck of the forest. I saw that some prayers were needed the last few days. I hope the outcomes were good.
Hugs for my quilty friends! Cathy

February 14th, 2016, 02:44 AM
Gee, I wouldn't be offended if you made noise even if I came on time! It's your house! Do as you please! :)

February 14th, 2016, 02:48 AM
Inlaws are strange. Mine were okay, but fil treated his wife like crap. He would wake her up in the middle of the night and make her fix something to eat. She was Chinese and he was Japanese, unheard of if it wasn't in Hawaii. He was a creepy guy, everyone thought so. Poor lady. I have a nice story though. We went to another island for her birthday. She saw me and said "Lorie!" Then she couldn't remember one of her son's names (8 kids). I felt happy and sad at the same time.

I wish you good vibes getting through it :)

February 14th, 2016, 02:53 AM
Cold here too. Snowed off and on all day but just a dusting. Nice and quiet at home right now - I'm the only one still up. Had a headache most of the day so I dozed off and on...and now I'm wide awake! Had hoped to sew a little but need to do some cleaning first. Been cleaning off my dining room table where I sew and organizing things as I go - did some small projects for Christmas gifts and sad to say, the "remnants" are still there! Hoping I'll be inspired when I get done cleaning that up. On to a new project or finishing up an old one, whichever mood strikes first. Keep warm, everyone!

Judy, USMC
February 14th, 2016, 03:19 AM
I had wonderful in-laws (and parents too) who never asked to stay with us - always got their own motel rooms! Of course came to visit at the house but always said that they enjoyed their privacy. There was one week that we got at a time-share in Helen. Georgia, and we invited them to stay. The in-laws were there Sun, Mon & Tues they were leaving at noon Wed and my parents were getting there at noon so we met at a restaurant and ate together. My folks stayed 3 nights and left Saturday then we went home on Monday. It was lovely!

Been praying for good health for all. And I hope, for those of us on the east coast, that everyone stays warm and safe at home if possible. That pile-up on the Pennsylvania Turnpike was so sad.

February 14th, 2016, 03:22 AM
Cathy vent all you need.I never had the pleasure of having inlaws stay with us we all live a town away,but we used to go over there every Friday night and all day Sunday that was more than enough of some of them for me.I hope you get a chance to take it easy and do your own thing too while their there.I hope everyone else has a good Valentines day tomorrow.

February 14th, 2016, 03:43 AM
We lived within to miles of all our parents and never had them stay with us either. However, when MM was in the Marines and we lived at Camp Pendleton and I was three weeks overdue w/our first child, MM's best friend and my mother in law showed up on our doorstep one night. We had no phone so they could not tell us they were coming! They stayed five days and she was hoping the baby would arrive, but she didn't for three more days after they left.

February 14th, 2016, 05:17 AM
I had in-laws that really were upset with their son when we married. We met( I worked with my DH brother and he introduced us when my DH came home to be the best man for his brother's wedding.) I think getting us together was a "joke" that didn't go the way my DH's brother planned, due to the that we fell in love during those 3 wks he was home on leave! After DH went back overseas we wrote letters,sent weekly cassette tapes to each other etc. and he sent me an engagement ring that Valentine's Day,asking to get married in June of that year. So, his folks weren't really to thrilled with the fact that we met and married so soon(we married in June 1974 ) . ( They were positive it wouldn't last ) .Right after my DH graduated from college ( Electrical Engineering) He was to go to an interview and never made it. He had a grand mal seizure and was diagnosed with epilepsy that we were told later on that would be hard to control, and it was. (we had been married just a week shy of our 4th anniversary when he had that first seizure. )
It was then when my in-laws put on the pressure for me to cut my losses,put my DH into a nursing home and get a divorce. etc. I was so appalled by their actions at the time ! My DH Terry and I were soulmates, and I couldn't imagine leaving him, despite his medical issues. For several years after that, his in-laws basically ignored us, making sure to tell us never to just "pop" in....to call first if we wanted to visit (seems they were worried that we would visit and Terry would have a seizure in front of their friends or extended family members).
Terry was a wonderful husband and father,despite all his health issues. After his untimely death in 2002, his parents then let me know what a wonderful wife and mother I was to their son and our children. It would have been wonderful for Terry had they let him know what they thought before he passed away !
After Terry's death his parents began to treat me as though I was just someone they met once. If I happen to run into them and they were with someone they knew they would always introduce me by name, but would never acknowledge that I was their DIL for more than a little more than 28 yrs. Strange people.....but that's life I guess. The main thing is that I was married to an wonderful man for 28.5 yrs, a life that I wouldn't trade for a second, despite all the times he was very ill, he still was the best husband and dad anyone could imagine. I would have loved to have had a relationship with his family but it just wasn't meant to be.
Looking back I remember a few times during the holidays that my in-laws did things that were on called for, especially when they knew I worked as a RN and had to work holidays. There were times that I would call and let them know I was going to be about 5-10 minutes late, yet they would still begin eating dinner, no matter what.......I just ( and still don't ) never understood their reasons for the way they acted. Oh well, it's over and done...but it does make one wonder why people do the things they do.
So, Cathy, there's lots of people out there like your in-laws....believe me. My in-laws only lived ( my MIL is still alive ) 10-12 miles from me, and I haven't seen my MIL in years. I do send her cards for special occasions even today.

February 14th, 2016, 06:20 AM
My mother in law treated me much the same way, at least that is the way I felt. She was not happy when we got married...she thought it was because I was pregnant (I was not). I was just 18, he was 19 and we were too young...etc etc etc. It was not until she got ovarian cancer and I took her to the majority of her appointments that things changed. We were her caregivers, especially MM. When we could no longer care for her and had to put her in a nursing home, she was so mad that day. She would not speak to MM or his sister. Then she would turn to me with the sweetest smile on her face and ask for a drink of water even though she had just refused their offers. It was that day I felt she really, truly, loved me. She only live about two more months (almost nine years w/ovarian cancer, diagnosed at stage 3 and given six months to live!). Her main reason for living was to see her grandchildren grow. By the time she died, she had four great grandchildren as well. She had a long, and I think happy life.

February 14th, 2016, 07:46 AM
Oh, MIL stories, We could start a really loooong post tonight, LOL!

FIL was a great guy but MIL was a quirky kind of person. Every once in awhile she would invite us for dinner and we'd arrive but no one was home, she had decided to visit her sister instead. She didn't do holidays either. She worked for AT&T back in the days when you needed an operator to make long distance calls and would volunteer to work on Christmas so people could call their families to say Merry Christmas, etc. Meanwhile FIL and DH's younger brother sat home alone while she worked.
We'd exchange Christmas gifts some time after Christmas, she didn't shop for gifts but gave me cash to buy gifts for dh and our sons, I never remember her and FIL having a Christmas tree and she was the original person who didn't do Christmas cards way back in the 1950's

Main problem was that her DD was married and lived quite a distance and hardly ever made it home for holidays. DD's DH was a PIA kind of person and he and MIL were always at odds, he'd say they were coming for Thanksgiving weekend and cancel at the last minute so she'd take it out on us.

Wonder what my DIL's have say about me?

Cathy, Hope things so well for your family vacation, maybe the in-laws will take everyone out to dinner one night.

February 14th, 2016, 06:07 PM
I agree with you Cathy. There used to be certain people who would come for a visit and expect to be waited on hand and foot! And then there were those who pitched right in and helped get stuff one. Guess which ones were favored? :icon_wave:

February 15th, 2016, 01:27 AM
I agree with you Cathy. There used to be certain people who would come for a visit and expect to be waited on hand and foot! And then there were those who pitched right in and helped get stuff one. Guess which ones were favored? :icon_wave:
If I am going to someone's home, I'm helping, bringing a meal or groceries. Something.