PDA

View Full Version : COLD SATURDAY!

Monique
February 13th, 2016, 08:38 AM
Good morning. -30C, -22F COLD COLD COLD

Not going out until Monday!! That's all.

MayinJerset
February 13th, 2016, 09:51 AM
I'M WITH YOU MONIQUE - HOME SWEET HOME FOR THE LONG WEEKEND as we celebrate President's Day on Monday. Don't remember just when Lincoln and Washington's birthdays were combined as President's Day but many people have the day off from work. Lots of "Sales" today but none of them have anything to do with either of the presidents.

songbird857
February 13th, 2016, 09:52 AM
Brrr... good morning!
Cold here too, not quite as cold as you, Monique - but definitely dangerously so. Going to go down to -11F tonight, will feel like -29F with the windchill. Tomorrow morning will feel like -32F!!! Yikes!
I'm not complaining though, since we haven't had a real 'winter' this year ;)

I think this weekend will be a time for cleaning some neglected areas - it doesn't take long for things to get cluttered! I'd like to get some sewing in too. I need to order some solids to finish my Phoebe's Flower Box; no rush, since it's not designated for anyone yet. I have the solids I need in my cart here at M* - just waiting a few days to see if there is a DD worth throwing in the cart as well ;)
Have a great weekend everyone - stay warm.

Ginny B
February 13th, 2016, 11:24 AM
Good morning. Brrrrr. Pretty cold here this morning but I guess the worst of it will be tonight through Monday. Going to do all errands today since it is "warmer" and then just stay inside tomorrow. Haven't felt single digit temps and below zero wind chills all winter so I guess we are due for some real cold days. I have lots to keep me busy in the house/sewing room where it will be considerably warmer.

Have a good day all and stay warm and cozy.

ceiliam
February 13th, 2016, 11:36 AM
Morning all burr to cold for me Monique and crew. I know you will eny me supposed to get to 69 here and in the early,70s here by end of week.
Went to a quilt shop sale yesterday...danger danger, found some wonderful ombre fabric which I have a plan for , been collecting for a while just need some blue and purple then I'm ready to go
Been working on back of quilt ...oops I measured and cut it before I put borders on quilt...so now am pieceing a bit to make it longer. Where was my head? Hope all have a great wonderful safe day. Cecelia

grammaterry
February 13th, 2016, 01:00 PM
It was President Nixon who combined the presidents. I still think of Feb. 12 and Feb 22 for the days and in the 50's the only celebrations were the room mothers who came and brought us cupcakes and we celebrated in the classroom making profile pictureof the presidents. The commercialization of the presidents came about the same time as the Valentine holiday. Remember when we would spend weeks making a box with crepe paper for our classmates to deposit our cards. Oh, the good ol' days.
But, now it's cold, the driveway is solid ice and I have to go get motivated to open the restaurant. Its a 30 mile drive and yesterday only one person came. I'm hoping folks will get out today and celebrate this commercial holiday. ha ha.

Claire Hallman
February 13th, 2016, 01:02 PM
I am headed out shortly to work on some Quilts of Valor with my guild, hope we get lots done.

Mom23
February 13th, 2016, 01:51 PM
Good morning all,

We are in Nashville and it's unusually cold here. Last night we walked down Broadway listening to bands in the honkytonks and it was freezing. The sun is shining but I'm under a blanket in the hotel room. DH is at a convention across the road and I have the day to myself. I've looked up are quilt shops but really have no desire to get out. I might reconsider after a nap.

On the way here yesterday we stopped at the Nationa Quilt Museum and Hancocks in Paducah. Wow, the quilts are real works of art! Went into the huge Hancocks store and left with nothing. I really just wanted Kona Snow charm packs and they were out. Looked around but kept reminding myself of my fabric diet. My husband was shocked when I said I was ready to go.

We are supposed to drive home tomorrow but we packed to stay until Monday. It's supposed to start snowing and we really have nothing to hurry home for. I guess we will decide in the morning.

Have a great weekend. I have the weather channel on and it sounds like there's a lot of nasty weather in the States and Canada.

rebeccas-sewing
February 13th, 2016, 01:55 PM
Baking a cake today for a Valentine's dinner at our friends' house on Sunday. That'll be fun. Haven't made a cake in ages. 82 degrees and sunny is the forecast for today in the OC. Brrr - thinking about your cold temps gives me the chills.

Midge
February 13th, 2016, 03:01 PM
Cold here at 11 F with a windchill of -7, but nothing like our friends up north. I did my running around and dining out yesterday when it wasn't quite so cold. But no matter how low it goes, I still have to walk the dog 3 times a day. He jumps around in the snow, prancing and dolphining, pausing to lick the fresh snow. Guess it's tasty. Meanwhile I am impatiently tapping my feet and thinking hurry up already and do your business, will you? It's the cold face and fingers. I'm staying in this weekend. I'm going to enjoy some cooking, sewing and reading.

judimccl
February 13th, 2016, 06:48 PM
Oh Monique, just reading your post made me want to turn my heat on! Stay warm and stay safe, and definitely stay inside. :icon_wave:

RiverMomm
February 13th, 2016, 07:13 PM
Oh man-the high was minus 8 F with a wind chill of minus 35 F. Tomorrow it will warm up a couple degrees. Back in the 20's on Monday and a foot of snow Monday night/Tuesday. Yep, winter may have been late arriving but it is seriously here now.

Didn't even step outside one time today. Today is a stay inside and snuggle under a couple quilts and read day.

Stay warm and safe if you have to go outside!

jjkaiser
February 13th, 2016, 07:40 PM
Well it was a high of 8 here today, current windchill is 2. It's an improvement though as the last few days the wind chills have been minus 10 to minus 15. Thought I would freeze to death putting gas in my car. Didn't wear my mittens as they always wins up smelling like gasoline after.
Today I went to a group being your projects day at my sister's church. I was the only quilter. Was working on my double sided I Spy quilt which is almost done. No one at group had ever heard of that before so I got lots of oohs and aahs. Mostly everyone was scrap bookng away. One lady was working on a sleeping mat for the homeless, something I never heard of.Wow, the prep involved in that one--geez! She crochets mats out of plastic grocery bags. But first she had to cut off the bottom and handles of each bag then cut each bag into four pieces. She says it takes 700 bags to make one mat!!! She was just using a scissors to cut her bags. I said you better be careful you will need carpal tunnel surgery when you're all done with that part!! I don't think she liked my joke. Actually I was half serious.
So now I am home, just made coffee and settling in by the fire checking out the Forum. Stay warm everyone and happy Valentine's day!