PDA

View Full Version : Good Grief

janbee
February 12th, 2016, 12:06 PM
I have been browsing the catalogs and even have visited a couple of my favorite clothing stores because my wardrobe needs some refreshing. Can I say that I wear jeans almost every day and that denim shirts are my go to favorite? I was hoping to find some affordable knit tops with 3/4 length sleeves for spring and summer. I do not consider $75 for a knit top to be affordable. I have never in my life seen uglier fabrics and styles. Good grief where do all those ugly fabrics come from?

Guess I need to dig into my "other" stash and get to sewing some tops. I actually enjoy sewing clothing but it sure cuts into my quilting <lol>.

grammaterry
February 12th, 2016, 12:27 PM
I think you are going to have to go into town and browse the 75% off racks. Brick and Mortar stores are prone to have wonderful sale this time of year and usually you can't buy the fabric for the price of the ready made when its on a fabulous sale.

shirleyknot
February 12th, 2016, 12:28 PM
I do hear ya! And jeans? I would like a nice size 8 that actually covers my buttcrack please. Why do they have to cut the tops off all the jeans?

jjkaiser
February 12th, 2016, 12:44 PM
Yeah I'm with you. Seems we are getting into a phase of super ugly clothes ugly styles and fabrics both. I can't even imagine who these designers think they would look good on. Went shopping with a friend the other day, she needs a nice dress as her son is getting married. Nothing looked good on her--either too tent like or made for some teeny bopper. And I personally really need more than a two inch zipper on my jeans please!

Midge
February 12th, 2016, 12:50 PM
I have been browsing the catalogs and even have visited a couple of my favorite clothing stores because my wardrobe needs some refreshing. Can I say that I wear jeans almost every day and that denim shirts are my go to favorite? I was hoping to find some affordable knit tops with 3/4 length sleeves for spring and summer. I do not consider $75 for a knit top to be affordable. I have never in my life seen uglier fabrics and styles. Good grief where do all those ugly fabrics come from?

Guess I need to dig into my "other" stash and get to sewing some tops. I actually enjoy sewing clothing but it sure cuts into my quilting <lol>.

Janbee, I feel you. Have you tried jjill.com? Their clothing is - ahem - geared toward the more mature woman. Plain fabrics, longer length tops to cover up the poofy bits, more realistic sizing. And you can find pants that have a relationship with your actual waistline. Year over year things go together. And sales. Shop their sales and you will find them affordable.

TMP
February 12th, 2016, 01:40 PM
Janbee, I have a hard time buying clothing online. Quite a few stores in my area have some good sales going on . Have you ever tried Talbots ?. I never ever buy if its not on sale. ( unless its fabric I can't live without). I agree with you about the jeans. I don't like the kind that fit when you try them on and stretch out . I only dream of a size 8.

Claire Hallman
February 12th, 2016, 02:05 PM
I had good luck at Kohl's last year when I was looking for some every day tops. I do shop in the X dept and boy howdy do the designers everywhere think we need either loud prints or black, nothing in between.:icon_rolleyes:

asta
February 12th, 2016, 02:13 PM
Midge, you made me spit coffee all over my key board! " And you can find pants that have a relationship with your actual waistline."

Funny but so true. On our way out of church the other day a more mature woman-I would say at least 65 yo-dropped her gloves and bent over to pick them up and boy did we see a bright shiny moon and as DH says, it was cracked! Some things just need to remain undiscovered.

I do a lot of my shopping at landsend.com The clothes are a bit more expensive but they last forever, sizing is very consistent and made for real women-they cover the butt.

Cheryl P.
February 12th, 2016, 02:15 PM
I do hear ya! And jeans? I would like a nice size 8 that actually covers my buttcrack please. Why do they have to cut the tops off all the jeans?

I actually would rather buy men's pants...they are heavier material and have real pockets! lol...I have to wear collared polo shirts for work and actually bought boy's shirts, they were cheaper and heavier material. Women's clothes seems like they are very thin and the jeans are more for show than "work"...hard to find men's pants in small sizes but I like the fit better.

rebeccas-sewing
February 12th, 2016, 02:20 PM
LL Bean carries more classic jeans that come up to the waist. I've had good luck over the years buying from them. Their prices are reasonable compared to what you find in the local stores. Just make sure you measure yourself for the sizing. Kohl's had some jeans a while ago that fit great and came up to the waist. I went in there recently to see if they still have them. Nope! Very disappointed. I also wish they would make jeans out of jeans material. Why does everything have to be made out of stretchy denim??? I really don't like my pants to hug so tightly to my skin. I thought about trying on some of those leggings everyone is wearing but I decided to skip it. I would feel silly walking around in those, I think. I'd feel like the bottom half of my clothes would be missing. hahaha

Women's Jeans | Free Shipping at L.L.Bean (http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/513283?page=womens-jeans&nav=ln-27)

Midge
February 12th, 2016, 02:30 PM
LL Bean carries more classic jeans that come up to the waist. I've had good luck over the years buying from them. Their prices are reasonable compared to what you find in the local stores. Just make sure you measure yourself for the sizing. Kohl's had some jeans a while ago that fit great and came up to the waist. I went in there recently to see if they still have them. Nope! Very disappointed. I also wish they would make jeans out of jeans material. Why does everything have to be made out of stretchy denim??? I really don't like my pants to hug so tightly to my skin. I thought about trying on some of those leggings everyone is wearing but I decided to skip it. I would feel silly walking around in those, I think. I'd feel like the bottom half of my clothes would be missing. hahaha

Women's Jeans | Free Shipping at L.L.Bean (http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/513283?page=womens-jeans&nav=ln-27)

Yes to LL Bean and Land's End, although lately I've had no luck at the brick and mortar land's end. Targeted to a younger very thin group. Talbot's , yes also. As for Kohl's, you have to be very careful, but if you order on line you can return at a brick and mortar store. I used to get the Gloria Vanderbilt Amanda jeans there on sale for under $20. Now they are using much thinner weight denim and it's very stretchy. I still have Amanda jeans that were regular denim and much thicker. It's not my imagination. These new ones won't last at all. They develop holes.

Lol, asta. I always feel uncomfortable when I see a Fashion Don't like the lady you mention. I am torn - should I say something? Should I keep my big mouth shut and myob?

Neller
February 12th, 2016, 02:46 PM
On our way out of church the other day a more mature woman-I would say at least 65 yo-dropped her gloves and bent over to pick them up and boy did we see a bright shiny moon and as DH says, it was cracked!

Asta, we call it Nightmare on Crack Street! LOL

easyquilts
February 12th, 2016, 02:54 PM
I've had the same problem the past few years.... I'm desperate for something other than jeans and sweaters or t-shirts... But... Everything us either too ugly, or too expensive... And.., since I'm under give feet tall, and gained weight during my husband's long illness (I know it's been teo years, but I can!t lose the extra wrought.... Finding something I really like is hard...

I love pretty long skirts, but all I can find are pants...

Kat Smith
February 12th, 2016, 03:42 PM
I hate when you walk into a certain store ( which didn't last a year here in Manitoba, that rhymes with Barget) and you see a sea of tops but they are all the same style just different fabrics.
I like the new kinda blouse peasant style tops that are happening now but they are all see through, and trust me what I got they don't want to see.

Kathy

mischiefkat
February 12th, 2016, 04:00 PM
Good comments. How about us true petite folks. The gals 5'2" and under. What a joy it is for us to shop. Just make the legs and shirt hems shorter. Wala petite sized clothes. Doesn't matter if the crotch is half way to your knees or the blouse is sliding off your shoulders, this is their petite line. Used to haunt Dillards sales racks for Liz Claiborne that I could wear off the rack. No more Liz. Lands End and LL Bean do have better sized petite clothes.
A couple of weeks ago the local news ran a story about how women's items such as razors, deodorant, dry cleaning etc etc etc, tend to be more expensive than men's' . Something about the PINK FACTOR. So if you can wear mens jeans might get a good fit and save some money. Kathy

redcaboose1717
February 12th, 2016, 05:13 PM
Ever try the Bon Worth stores ? Last year I heard that they had a fantastic sale in April .....top's around $2-$3 dollars....etc. But their prices aren't too bad when not on sale. I agree with you, I don't consider tops costing even $40-$50 a sale.......I make a lot of my own clothing but still the fabric prices ( unless you shop and store fabric when on sale during the season close-outs like I do .....I put the fabric in Rubbermaid "bins" and store them. That way I know that I have gotten a great deal. Last night I purchased some fabric to make a wallet and also a little bit of flannel ($2.79 per yard ) for winter PJ's & nightgowns ( I have a 1930's night gown pattern I love. It takes 7 yds of fabric to make a VERY cozy nightgown ! )

Here's the link to the Bon Worth Stores. The closest one to me is about 40 miles away, but worth the trip when things are on sale.
https://www.bonworth.com/DisplayMaster.aspx?Fit=W&CatP=0.1.57

shirleyknot
February 12th, 2016, 07:40 PM
On our way out of church the other day a more mature woman-I would say at least 65 yo-dropped her gloves and bent over to pick them up and boy did we see a bright shiny moon and as DH says, it was cracked! Some things just need to remain undiscovered.

YEAH, what I'm sayin! That could have been ME!

oldsewer
February 12th, 2016, 08:46 PM
Shirley have you tried Lee jeans? I get mine at J.C. Penney, but they're other places also and online at Lee.com. Real jeans that fit at my waist and are not painted on. Not expensive either. I second Lands End for knit tops. Several different fits and many sizes, good prices and they wash well and last and last. LL Bean is good, but a little more expensive and less size range, and for me, tend to be short.

Carolyn
February 12th, 2016, 10:03 PM
I have lost a lot of weight in the last year or so. Enough to convince myself to get rid of Omar's tents and get something new. I can even wear jeans again. What happened to real jeans? I hate the stretch stuff. Colors and patterns, my, who wears this stuff? Like most of you have said I still turn to LL Bean and Lands End. Sometimes Christopher Banks has a few "wearables"

grammaterry
February 14th, 2016, 01:52 AM
8 years ago when we opened the restaurant I lost 30 lbs in 3 weeks and went from a size 8 to a 2. It took me 5 yrs to gain back the weight. I am sympathetic to older women under a size 4 because the crotch is only 2 inches long and they assume you are 13 years old. I had to buy 4's and cut them down to fit my mature body. I am glad to be a size 6 again. Here in the south, we have Dillards regional outlet stores where they send all of their merchandise that doesn't sell and tag it at 65% off of retail and then weekly have sales for an additional 30-50% off select categories. I can buy men's quality shirts for my guy for $6 and I can usually get tops for myself from$3-10. It beats the goodwill stores. Pants are always a delema because I won't buy them without pockets.

Hulamoon
February 14th, 2016, 08:25 AM
After reading this thread I went to the JcPennys site. They had some nice peasant style tops on sale. I like those too. It's so hot here, but I'm just not into tank tops.

evy
February 14th, 2016, 08:52 AM
I'd like a nice size 8 too but it wouldn't cover anything past my ankle! Been a long time since size 8!

mischiefkat
February 14th, 2016, 11:49 AM
Pants are such a problem for women, doesn't matter what size you are. Then the more the pants are advertised "these will fit" the more expensive they are. Didn't know Dillards had an outlet store. Will have to see if there's one near me. Stay warm today. Kathy

pcbatiks
February 14th, 2016, 02:17 PM
I feel your pain. I thought I was one of the few that gets irritated with the quality and fit of clothes. Maybe we should all go shopping together to keep each other encouraged.

I've learned a lot about jeans in the past few months. Here are a couple of recent post if you missed them.

http://forum.missouriquiltco.com/general-chit-chat/59407-beware-dye-very-dark-jeans.html

http://forum.missouriquiltco.com/general-chit-chat/59502-update-dark-jeans-smell.html

Over the past month I've learned even more about women's blue jeans. Every if you buy several pair in the same brand, same style, same size & same cut...if you buy different colors/shades they WILL be different fabric content! The dark pair I mention in the links above were very dark & fit perfect. After I had to return them because of the smell I bought 2 more pair....each a different shade of blue. After wearing them a few times I noticed one pair fit pretty good and the other pair seemed too big after wearing them awhile. I really believe the poorer fitting pair is growing the longer I wear them. I feel like I'm wearing clown pants! That is when I decided to compare the content labels between the two pair. The better fitting pair was over 80% cotton with a little poly & lycra. The ill fitting pair was 60ish% cotton, with rayon, poly & lycra. Who puts rayon in jeans? No wonder they keep growing. I started trying to take them up but gave up because I think they will keep stretching. We can see the difference in stretchiness in the two pair by checking the stretch by hand. So now it will take even longer to find a pair of jeans that fit.

Lesson learned........check the content label before buying.

If any of you have older jeans hang onto them. I have 2 pair that did not fit for quite a few years. Recently I was able to fit into them again. A 100% cotton durable jeans........yay! The difference is those and the jeans they sell now is shocking. We may have to start checking the 2nd hand stores for durable jeans.

A question I would like to add to our list: Why do some brands of women's jeans assume that the smaller size you wear....the shorter your legs are? I notice in the Levi's each size smaller was also an inch shorter. It is maddening.

My 2nd question is: Why are there hardly any 100% cotton tops for women but the men's dept is full of cotton tops & pants?!

Maybe we should start wearing overalls? :D

Thanks for letting me vent. Happy to know I'm not the only one with clothes shopping issues. I often walk through a clothes dept. wondering....Who buys this crappy quality stuff?