PDA

View Full Version : NCW Questions

Cokie
February 11th, 2016, 06:01 PM
You all are enablers! :D

Someone posted in the purse thread about the NCWs and I am intrigued. How difficult are they? How much fabric do they require - can you use fat quarters? I looked at the website with the pattern and I see that they have templates too - are those necessary? Are the twist locks hard to add? I think I want to try one. Any words of wisdom to share? Thanks!!

Sandy Navas
February 11th, 2016, 06:06 PM
If I can make one, just about anyone who can read and follow directions can make one.

Do you need a template? No - not unless you fall in love with them like most do and start a heavy production line.
I don't remember how much fabric I used, but I would venture to say it was way less than a yard . . . maybe even less than 1/2 yard and someone who does these on a regular basis will chime in, I'm certain, and clarify that. Otherwise, the instructions do detail what size pieces you need. Coordinating scraps would work on this project, so FQs would definitely work.

There is a wonderful group on Facebook if you visit there - take a look and drool.

The closures vary depending upon which clasps or snaps you use. I didn't find them difficult to attach - most come with very detailed instructions.

bubba
February 11th, 2016, 06:36 PM
I don't think they are difficult at all. I have made about twenty of them and I do have the templates, but only because someone was selling them for $30!! For me, the twist lock was the part I was worried most about, but it isn't hard to do at all. You can most certainly use fat quarters, I would think three would do it just so you can mix up fabrics if you want.

Have fun and ask more questions if you need to! And also, I agree...you should check the facebook page, NCW Addicts.

Pandabear
February 11th, 2016, 07:21 PM
I used scraps of fabric left over from Christmas projects when I did mine. That's why it's so colorful. I used the paper templates that I printed from the PDF, then cut out and taped together. I'll be using them again when I do another NCW.

It isn't difficult and my first time out I made a couple of the changes found on the NCW facebook page - such as the 2 zipper pockets instead of one. My hardest part was sewing those side panels. My machine didn't like it until I sewed from the bottom of the pleat to the tops of the zipper. Then it was all happy.

It's not a difficult project, just go slow and you'll be fine.

Simply Quilting
February 11th, 2016, 08:05 PM
I don't think that they are that difficult. I would very much recommend watching the videos that Jean put together. She has some great advice and an easier way to do the zipper pockets. So much easier than the way the pattern shows it done.