PDA

View Full Version : Valentines Day

Tiany
February 11th, 2016, 01:49 PM
Hy y'all

My family and I do not par-take in Valentines Day with Cards chocolates or anything like that ;-)

I personally just think it is not very healthy for the soul to celebrate something that is purely made up by a genious PR people ;-)

But it happen to be our Family-Sunday....we do 1 Sunday each month to come together and not as much celebrate but enjoy each others company and were we all have the possibility to be open about the "issuses" that we have with each other. Its a very important thing for us to do because we live very close together on a Farm. There is my grand-father in law 87 (2nd WW vet) his wife 71 my inlaws 64 and 61 us 36 and 27 and 2 cousins+wifes 55&54 59&61...and ever one of us has a different thing to do on the land. I am the newest member, but somehow became the driving part on projects...;-) so we will spend our Sunday with conversing and figuring stuff out.

How do you guys celebrate Valentines Day?

Have a great sunny day

Anna

tamsterg7
February 11th, 2016, 10:34 PM
I will probably work on a quilt while DH watches sports, and then I will make us a nice dinner. (Too cold to go out and snow predicted)

Hulamoon
February 11th, 2016, 10:45 PM
There is some history to the holiday.

History of Valentine?s Day - Valentine?s Day - HISTORY.com (http://www.history.com/topics/valentines-day/history-of-valentines-day)

bhaggerty
February 12th, 2016, 12:37 AM
We are Roman Catholic and Valentine's Day is actually the feast day of St. Valentine. It is still a religious holiday for some of us.

grammaterry
February 12th, 2016, 12:44 AM
I am fascinated that you all live on the same piece of land. That sounds almost idealic to me. What a wonderful thing that you all can be so close and have the people you love near. What a beautiful way to celebrate love.

Ginny B
February 12th, 2016, 01:03 AM
DH and I will actually go out to dinner tomorrow night after work. Way too crowded in restaurants over the weekend. On Sunday, I will make some ricotta pancakes and either some sausage or bacon for breakfast and dh will be making chicken marsala for dinner. It's going to be pretty cold so we will try to get all outside errands done on Saturday early and then just stay indoors and stay warm and cozy while the polar vortex does it's thing outside.

jjkaiser
February 12th, 2016, 03:11 AM
Well since it is Sunday we will be staying in and reading the newspaper because it takes my dh all day to read every word practically of the New York Times. It's very cold here so we will definitely be having a fire in the fp all day and probably all night. Food will be whatever we can rustle up. It's kind of a take it easy day before the work week starts again on Monday. Am spending all day Sat with one of my dd at an anything goes arts and crafts day at my sister's church, (you can bring any project you want to work on. Most ppl do scrap booing but not me) well probably take my I Spy quilt and finish the quilting. V-Day I will probably just find a good book to read our maybe sort they and organize old photos. That's something perpetually on my to do list that I never seen to get around to. Which is so dumb because I actually like looking at old pictures!

Funny you should mention your whole family living on a farm together. One of my daughters lives with her boyfriend in Illinois and his mother grew up in Paris (France). She has lived in the U.S. about 25 years and is a "snowbird" going 6m a year to Paris.Her family still lives there, 3 married brothers and 2 married sisters, and their children, plus her mother is still living. They all live on the same property too. It is not a farm, they just have houses all next to each other and regular jobs in the city, and the mother actually owns all the land and the houses.

Carol336
February 12th, 2016, 07:07 AM
Welcome from Maryland. DH and I will probably have a nice dinner tonight since we'll be at a dance competition for our youngest DGD on Sunday.

While we don't all live on the same piece of land, our family also does come together once a month to catch up, visit, share a meal and just enjoy each other for a few hours. One Saturday a month DH an I cook a ginormous breakfast for our kids and their spouses/significant others and all the gkiddies (4). With their busy schedules it was becoming more and more difficult to get everyone on the same page for a family dinner...so we came up with the Saturday morning breakfast - everyone seems to have that time free and eagerly look forward to our "family" time each month.

Ginny - ricotta pancakes sound so yummy - can you share your recipe.

Cathy F
February 12th, 2016, 09:08 AM
With very cold weather predicted we will probably stay in and hold off going out to dinner for a few days.

I don't live on a farm but my husband's family all live by us. My mother -in- law lived next door, when she passed away our son inhereted the house, our cousin lives in the next house, and our cousins mother and father live in the house after that. It's nice having family all around.

Carolnnc
February 12th, 2016, 12:10 PM
Valentine's Day is my husbands birthday. We never go out to eat that day because the wait anywhere nice can be an hour or two wait. We have decided this year that we'll get pizza from the new place near our house and binge watch Gilmore Girls on Netflix. A card for his birthday, a card for Valentines and he has asked that he gets no gifts. I will however make him a Boston Cream Pie cake which he loves. I have always felt slightly guilty getting flowers on his birthday!

KarenC
February 12th, 2016, 01:13 PM
OK, I'll admit, I am slightly jealous of family that lives near each other (within an hour drive). It takes 5-6 hours to commute from my home to that of any family, other than my daughter. I know that it was a choice that I made when I graduated college to move away and get a good job that utilized my degree. Then met my husband, whose family was a 24 hour drive. Needless to say, most of our holidays and family were just us and our two kids. Now my son lives in OR, and my daughter and I are in TX. I am committed that if she moves out of state, then I will likely move when I retire so that I can have a closer relationship with my grandkids. I do enjoy the times when I go back to LA and can be near all of my siblings.

judimccl
February 12th, 2016, 02:24 PM
Yes, it is hard being away from family. I am lucky in that I have a brother and SIL who live about 10 minutes from me, have another brother who has lived with me for about 15 years, and can't forget my son and his family (with darling granddaughter, age 3) who live near me. But I have a son living in Michigan, along with grandchildren and great-grandchildren, and I miss being a part of their lives. especially miss having those little ones growing up not knowing who Nani/GG is. And I have a granddaughter whom I raised who moved to NC 2 years ago. She also has 2 children that I miss terribly. I did have the pleasure of her being here in FL for the 1st year of my great-granddaughter's life, and was lucky that when she had my great-grandson in September she came and spent 2 months with me. But now I see pictures of them and realize how much I miss them. But, the weather in Michigan and NC is just TOO cold for this Nani/GG to tolerate. Heck I turn on the heat down here in S FL when it gets into the 50s and 60s! :icon_wave:

Tiany
February 12th, 2016, 03:18 PM
My husbands family is living on the same piece of land for the last 115 years, all my family lives in Europe so I never get so them, which is fine because thats just part of life ;-)

But anyway we have a farm that is owned by the grandfather, or better he owns the tools like an old tractor and stuff ;-) we do our own diary,produce, eggs and meat. Hunting season just ended so we have our freezers full of deer meat, my husband and I do our own sausage and stuff, the only things we really buy in the store is flour, sugar and stuff like...stuff we can not make our self's...

I do enjoy living that simple life, it takes away a lot of the fuzz of a modern society. We have to go about 25-30min to the next store...my husband and I don't go to church because we have our own time for prayer during the week, I did live in Berlin,Germany before I moved and had all the modern things you can ask for, but I felt kind of empty, here everything is very focused and down to the point. The funny thing about this family is it is very back country but on the other hand very educated...especially the men ;-) grandpa retired from the US Airforce after 26 years...his son my father in law retired from the army corps of engineers and so on and so forth...;-) its a funny bunch of people...and very much for the "old" way of living with haveing the women at home and around the house ;-) I do enjoy that alot and I enjoy educating myself in how to make stuff from scratch like cheese,yoghurt or what ever is out there ;-)

Carlie Wolf
February 13th, 2016, 10:40 AM
I don't celebrate Valentine's Day. I never had much luck with it. I never got a gift for it from my ex but then it's not surprising since he didn't "remember" my birthday either. Pretty hard to do since it's Christmas but then again maybe that was an indication for why he eventually became my ex after 23 years :-)