PDA

View Full Version : purse patterns

Pandabear
February 10th, 2016, 03:13 PM
I've been wanting to make a new purse. One I can make another NCW to go with it. I've been looking through all the patterns I have for purses and nothing is grabbing me.

Anyone have a favorite pattern they can point me in the direction to? My only requirements are it must zip close at the top- I'm clumsy-inclined and drop stuff regularly - and I'm not a fan of curves.

I have some great clock fabric and am looking to make a sort of purse set with a purse, NCW, phone case and maybe coin pouch.

Any help and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Kim

bubba
February 10th, 2016, 04:05 PM
My recent favorite is Freesia by Blue Calla. I love this purse!!!! It's all I've been carrying for the past three months! Very simple and takes only about two hours total from start to finish!

songbird857
February 10th, 2016, 04:38 PM
My recent favorite is Freesia by Blue Calla. I love this purse!!!! It's all I've been carrying for the past three months! Very simple and takes only about two hours total from start to finish!
Let's clarify this statement....
FOR PAT it takes only about two hours total from start to finish. That would be about 4 hours for the rest of us ;)
I haven't made this one yet, but I'm considering it - and it zips...
Sugar and Spice - ChrisW Designs For Unique Designer Bag Patterns (http://www.chriswdesigns.com/collections/all/products/sugar-and-spice)

Vickie1965
February 10th, 2016, 05:01 PM
I currently carry a Margo with matching NCW. I have made 3 sets of them. Lots of pockets and a top zipper. The pattern only calls for 2 pockets on the front, but I also added them on the back.
Lazy Girl Designs Margo Handbag Dressed in Charisma for Andover (http://www.lazygirldesigns.com/bag-designs/margo-handbag/margo-handbag-dressed-in-charisma-for-andover)
I too, have been looking at the Sugar and Spice pattern.

Hulamoon
February 10th, 2016, 06:13 PM
I currently carry a Margo with matching NCW. I have made 3 sets of them. Lots of pockets and a top zipper. The pattern only calls for 2 pockets on the front, but I also added them on the back.
Lazy Girl Designs Margo Handbag Dressed in Charisma for Andover (http://www.lazygirldesigns.com/bag-designs/margo-handbag/margo-handbag-dressed-in-charisma-for-andover)
I too, have been looking at the Sugar and Spice pattern.

I have this pattern under a pile of fabric somewhere. lol

Simply Quilting
February 10th, 2016, 06:37 PM
Jean made a Margo bag to match one that she made for a lady. http://forum.missouriquiltco.com/show-tell/55761-back-ncw-groove.html

And somewhere on here (I could not find the post), Jean made a several matching bags with accessories.

bubba
February 10th, 2016, 06:52 PM
Let's clarify this statement....
FOR PAT it takes only about two hours total from start to finish. That would be about 4 hours for the rest of us ;)
I haven't made this one yet, but I'm considering it - and it zips...
Sugar and Spice - ChrisW Designs For Unique Designer Bag Patterns (http://www.chriswdesigns.com/collections/all/products/sugar-and-spice)

Truthfully, it is a VERY simple pattern. There is a set in zipper on the back, but you could omit that if it is something you can't do. There is also a zipper on the end of the flap, but that is super easy to do. All told, there are four outside pieces (top and bottom front and back) and three on the inside (front and back and slip pockets)!!

irishrn
February 10th, 2016, 08:01 PM
I would check out the swoon patterns on line, and their Facebook group! They make some georgeous bags and have tutorials for many of them. Good luck!

Cokie
February 10th, 2016, 08:07 PM
I'm a bag lady too... :-) These are cute.

But what is a NCW?

bubba
February 10th, 2016, 08:09 PM
I would check out the swoon patterns on line, and their Facebook group! They make some georgeous bags and have tutorials for many of them. Good luck!

I used to always suggest this as well.....up till about a month ago when I brought to others attention that her new bag clearly used the same features as a newly released bag from another designer. Well, her faithful followers were very mean and hateful, and ultimately, I and several others were kicked off the Swoon fb page (the others also tested for the other designer).

I've not made a Swoon pattern since, not have I recommended them. That said, I am finding some of the other designers patterns much simpler to follow and assemble.

The other day on another forum, a woman posted a free pattern, so I went to look at it. While there, I also looked at the other patterns by this designer and saw a real cute pattern that has been out for a year or more on her site. Just a few days prior to this, I saw a pattern by yet another designer and it was the exact replica of the purse I was looking at now! The original designer is in Europe and I think the second is from Australia. That said, I am beginning to think that the big name designers that are so popular are doing nothing but stealing other designers ideas, and in some cases, their patterns! They will wholeheartedly deny it, but you can tell by looking and see what they have done. I have decided I will no longer support them, which is why I will no longer make Swoon designs.

Now I have to remember who posted the other pattern and see who else I won't be making.

Vonnie
February 10th, 2016, 08:15 PM
Wow - glad I saw this post - all those bags are really neat!

bubba
February 10th, 2016, 08:32 PM
I'm a bag lady too... :-) These are cute.

But what is a NCW?

Necessary Clutch Wallet by Emmaline.

Another wallet I've made lately is Brandt Boulevard by Chris W. You can also make it into a wristlet, but I placed two D rings one mine so I can carry it as a small cross body purse. I has a special spot for your cell phone.

Hulamoon
February 10th, 2016, 08:50 PM
I bought this one. It's simular to the Margo. The straps are way different.

Geta's Quilting Studio: New bag (http://cadouri-din-inima.blogspot.ro/2010/07/new-bag.html)

I made my own pattern for a twirl skirt. Nothing new. All of a sudden everyone was selling patterns. I wasn't going to jump on the band wagon. I'd rather sell the skirt and get nice feedback on how cute their dd looked.

Pandabear
February 10th, 2016, 08:55 PM
I love new purse sites so thank you to all!!

I'm probably going to go ahead and pick up the patterns for both the Freesia bag and the Sugar and Spice. I liked both very much.

As for the Margo bag, I just made that as a Christmas gift. It didn't do it for me oddly and Lazy Girl Designs is my favorite designer too! Pink Sand Beach Designs is great as well. I am contemplating making the Candice again. I use the heck out of the first one I made. But I am thinking of using Soft and Stable instead of fleece for the stabilizer. My bag now slouches from repeated use.

Swoon.. oh swoon can your instructions be more muddled? The fabric I will be using, I originally bought for the Sheena hobo bag but it only uses shape flex for the interfacing and I didn't want another slouchy bag.

I may have to look at the fabric for a bit and then decide. I really really like that sugar and spice though.. but then the fabric might not be the one for it since it's a very dark fabric with few colors.

This is why I never get much done. Very indecisive! :)

This is it. Quilting Treasures Timeless Clocks Black (http://www.quiltnthyme.com/shop/FABRIC/ELECTRONICS-AND-TECHNOLOGY/p/Quilting-Treasures-Timeless-Clocks-Black-x8929898.htm)

I have another clock theme in this collection too but I can't find a link.

Pandabear
February 10th, 2016, 08:59 PM
Oh I forgot to ask:

Has anyone made a pattern by Cozy Nest Designs? I was looking at the petal pockets bag

?Petal Pockets? Purse, Tote & Cosmetic Bag Sewing Pattern | cozy nest design (http://www.cozynestdesign.com/product/petal-pockets-purse-tote-cosmetic-bag-sewing-pattern/)

bubba
February 10th, 2016, 09:04 PM
I may have to look at the fabric for a bit and then decide. I really really like that sugar and spice though.. but then the fabric might not be the one for it since it's a very dark fabric with few colors.

This is why I never get much done. Very indecisive! :)

This is it. Quilting Treasures Timeless Clocks Black (http://www.quiltnthyme.com/shop/FABRIC/ELECTRONICS-AND-TECHNOLOGY/p/Quilting-Treasures-Timeless-Clocks-Black-x8929898.htm)

I have another clock theme in this collection too but I can't find a link.

If you use that clock fabric for the Freesia bag, you will have to do the back zipper differently. I thought about this when using directional fabric, and you could add an inch to the back, cut the fabric back up to where the zipper goes, then flip the fabric and cut out the top that gets folded over. That way, the clocks will be the right direction, unless that does not bother you. It would make me crazy!!!! Also, Freesia uses SF101 for the interfacing. I don't find the bag to be floppy at all, but it is not a firmly structured bag like some are.

irishrn
February 10th, 2016, 09:25 PM
I used to always suggest this as well.....up till about a month ago when I brought to others attention that her new bag clearly used the same features as a newly released bag from another designer. Well, her faithful followers were very mean and hateful, and ultimately, I and several others were kicked off the Swoon fb page (the others also tested for the other designer).

I've not made a Swoon pattern since, not have I recommended them. That said, I am finding some of the other designers patterns much simpler to follow and assemble.

The other day on another forum, a woman posted a free pattern, so I went to look at it. While there, I also looked at the other patterns by this designer and saw a real cute pattern that has been out for a year or more on her site. Just a few days prior to this, I saw a pattern by yet another designer and it was the exact replica of the purse I was looking at now! The original designer is in Europe and I think the second is from Australia. That said, I am beginning to think that the big name designers that are so popular are doing nothing but stealing other designers ideas, and in some cases, their patterns! They will wholeheartedly deny it, but you can tell by looking and see what they have done. I have decided I will no longer support them, which is why I will no longer make Swoon designs.

Now I have to remember who posted the other pattern and see who else I won't be making.

Thanks Pat. I was unaware of this. I haven't made any except the NCW which I love! Made 5 for Christmas gifts while DH was napping each day!

Pandabear
February 10th, 2016, 09:43 PM
If you use that clock fabric for the Freesia bag, you will have to do the back zipper differently. I thought about this when using directional fabric, and you could add an inch to the back, cut the fabric back up to where the zipper goes, then flip the fabric and cut out the top that gets folded over. That way, the clocks will be the right direction, unless that does not bother you. It would make me crazy!!!! Also, Freesia uses SF101 for the interfacing. I don't find the bag to be floppy at all, but it is not a firmly structured bag like some are.

It would bug me that the direction was off as well. I'll have to read over the pattern but think I now have an excuse to go look at more fabric. Non-directional fabric. Non-directional orange fabric.

Pandabear
February 10th, 2016, 09:45 PM
Thanks Pat. I was unaware of this. I haven't made any except the NCW which I love! Made 5 for Christmas gifts while DH was napping each day!

The NCW is Emmaline Bags so still safe to make :)

Unless you are talking about bags in general then disregard this post.

Off to buy some patterns!

teasipper
February 10th, 2016, 09:56 PM
Since I'm very much a novice at bag making, I need very clear, easy instructions and find that I really like "Sew Sweetness" patterns. I love her free pattern for Baker Street. Her directions are very good, but even so I did a few little things wrong and had to rip. I have just finished her "Baker Street" which has no outer pockets but 4 nice size inside pockets. I used Annie's soft and stable which has given it a lot of stability. The bag does have a gusset, but is very easy even for me.125731

bubba
February 10th, 2016, 10:17 PM

NCW is by Emmaline, not Swoon.

songbird857
February 10th, 2016, 11:45 PM
Since I'm very much a novice at bag making, I need very clear, easy instructions and find that I really like "Sew Sweetness" patterns. I love her free pattern for Baker Street. Her directions are very good, but even so I did a few little things wrong and had to rip. I have just finished her "Baker Street" which has no outer pockets but 4 nice size inside pockets. I used Annie's soft and stable which has given it a lot of stability. The bag does have a gusset, but is very easy even for me.125731
Teasipper, that is a beauty!